Completely

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

opensky
Active
Active

Completely

Post by opensky » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 am

After spending the last few days on the mix and recording, i need some fresh ears. Most importantly, let me know what you think of the song. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! www.soundclick.com/openskyCompletelyBy Steve Kim and Becky Cadwallader 2006A drop of red upon my soul.To take away these stains, Calling me to a sweet release.To freedom from rotting chains.leap of faith as angels singTill none of me remains.Now I embrace life…Chorus: For I am blessed completely, completely For I am blessed completely, completely You‘re the passion in my heart, in you my life will start You bring wholeness to my soul, you are holy.You‘re the rock upon which I standand your kingdom knows no end. In you I find my shelter. A cornerstone to build my life,Your precepts so divine.I melt in your glorious shine.Now I embrace life…Repeat Chorus twiceSteve

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Completely

Post by superflux » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:52 pm

Nice tune guys!My humble opinions:The little pre-chorus part ("Now I embrace life..."),doesn't launch me into the chorus the way it might.Maybe a little contrast in note values or somethingto create some rhythmic variety might help.Getting back into the guitar intro after the first chorusseemed abrupt, like it needs some connecting chords.I'm not much for reading lyrics - most of them lookcheesy written out - but yours sound good to mewhen I hear them sung.The other nits I'd pick have to do with the recordedperformance.In the first verse "away" and "faith" sound alittle shaky.The interval between the melody and the harmonyon the first half of the chorus sounds too open. Thehigh female part sounds a little choir-esque compared to the other things in the tune. I likethe other harmonies, but wanted to hear somethingcloser interval there.I don't know how to put this, but I wish thechorus sounded as happy as I know you are.I don't know if a little bump in tempo or a 1/16note part on tamborine or something just tomake it a littlle more spirited? In fact, maybethe whole song seemed like it could go a hairfaster.For what my opinion is worth, overall, I think it's good. I have a lousy memoryfor melodies, yet your chorus melody stayswith me!!Congrats on some good work! Keep it up.Steve

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks for the review! You gave a lot for me to chew on. I appreciate the feedback.Steve

rockmann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockmann » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:13 pm

I just listened. Very enchanting guitar intro and melody. Nice use of effects... very hypnotic.I agree with Superflux though. I think it could be just a bit faster. It's too slow to be happy. And a couple of the vocal phrases do sound like you (assuming it's you singing) were a bit hesitant. Let it go... give it all you got.Overall, very nice sound and song. Good job.

brokamp

Post by brokamp » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm not sure what type of effect is behind the guitar, but it creates the vibe it sounds you were shooting for by the lyrics. I'm diggin' it I would like to hear you feel the lyrics a little more. You are singing about passion and rebirth but I don't "feel" that passion. Also, I think that the bass line drains some of the energy from the chorus. Maybe try 8th notes to put some energy in the low-end and it might give some drive to the chorus so those sweeping vocals just fly. Nice job though, I like the song!

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:47 am

Quote:I just listened. Very enchanting guitar intro and melody. Nice use of effects... very hypnotic.I agree with Superflux though. I think it could be just a bit faster. It's too slow to be happy. And a couple of the vocal phrases do sound like you (assuming it's you singing) were a bit hesitant. Let it go... give it all you got.Hey, thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late response. My singer had to learn the song in just an hours notice before leaving for several months so that's why he sounded hesitant. Thanks again.Overall, very nice sound and song. Good job.

opensky
Active
Active

Post by opensky » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:50 am

Quote:I'm not sure what type of effect is behind the guitar, but it creates the vibe it sounds you were shooting for by the lyrics. I'm diggin' it I would like to hear you feel the lyrics a little more. You are singing about passion and rebirth but I don't "feel" that passion. Also, I think that the bass line drains some of the energy from the chorus. Maybe try 8th notes to put some energy in the low-end and it might give some drive to the chorus so those sweeping vocals just fly. Nice job though, I like the song!Thanks for the feedback and advice. I agree with you about the vocals. My lead singer is a college student and he only had an hour to learn the vocals before leaving to college for a few months. I wish we had a chance to work on it more and maybe we can once he gets back. Thanks for the advice about the bass and as far as the guitars, i used various effects in Guitar Rig.