Help... Who do I sound like?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Help... Who do I sound like?

Post by Casey H » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:33 pm

HiI am filling out some paperwork to send some songs to a music library. One of the questions they want me to answer is, "Name 3 artists or bands you compare your music to"... Other than the Beatles, I can't really think who else any songs might sound like... They are all different.I am a NON-PERFORMING songwriter... These are all studio made....Please sample a few tracks at www.broadjam.com/hurowitz and tell me what you think...ThanksCasey www.broadjam.com/hurowitzwww.caseysongs.com

staggerlee

Re: Help... Who do I sound like?

Post by staggerlee » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:10 pm

Sounds like an alternative rock band from the 90s. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, stone temple pilots, etc.

serge

Post by serge » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:11 am

Hi Casey !Excellent songs but it's a very hard question to answer . In nature I think your style is original. But I have some associations."Painfully Single" (my fav) I can compare to the best Elton John ballads ( "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" etc)"What a World" maybe is closer to "Scorpions" (Germany) in performance intonations but at the same time it has a huge "flower power" times influence in songwriting."Adrenaline" "Physical World" "Frankly Scarlet" though they are performed in a pure rock alternative style a la Pearl Jam etc ( I agree with staggerlee) but they are much more interesting musically and to my taste have the same roots in songwriting."Blue Moments" maybe is closer to Chris de Bourgh songwriting style imho."I Had Lunch With Your Wife Today" ( my second fav) has a seal of Chinn-Chapman songwriting team, who made a lot of huge hits to UK bands "Sweet" and "Smokie". I'm not sure that my thoughts will help much ... but - Good music !Serge

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:28 am

Serge and StaggerLee,Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated! I will make sure to give a listen to your tunes too... If there is anything in particular you would like feedback on please let me know...Warm regards Casey

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Stone Temple Pilot?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm

Hi Casey ,This is gonna be a tough library pitch because the songs aren't current sounding. When it comes to pop music, libraries are typically looking for stuff that sounds like what's currently on the radio; or, if they want stuff from bygone eras it has to bear an uncanny resemblance to specific artists from those eras (sometimes even specific songs). The fact that you can't categorize your songs, and are getting anything from Elton John to Scorpions to Pearl Jam as far as feedback, means the library will have a hard time categorizing them as well, thus probably won't be able to use them.There's a lot of music like this out there that kind of falls between the cracks and has a hard time finding a (commercial) home. Most of it is done by artists. Since you are a non-performing songwriter I would suggest you try to focus your writing more toward the marketplace.matto

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:04 am

Hey Matto I absoultely agree with you that my odds with these songs are way down there. That is one of the reasons I got into pitching other people's songs (direct, not to libraries). I knew that it was likely that the only chance of seeing my name in TV credits was this way.I am NOT one of those people that will rant that the music industry must change, I am not the problem Reality is I'm not capable (or not willing to) change that dramatically, so I have to live with the consequences.Some "howevers" (LOL):When I was a TAXI member, I sent "Adrenaline" for a dispatch ad. This party (a placement company) was doing the review themselves. The song was rejected because it wasn't right for what they needed at that time. Later on, I was cold contacting companies from a directory I had, asking if I could submit a demo. They said yes and I sent my CD with "Adrenaline". It turned out to be that very same company and they remembered the song and liked it a lot. They were looking for a track to use on an advertising campaign for a new major cable network. They felt the backing track (no vocals) was a great pitch and I came literally within inches of getting a lucrative deal. Now, I always pitch with both vocal and non-vocal versions. Of course, that does changes the "who do I sound like?" dynamics a bit.I honestly did get the right folks to consider "What a World" for a 15 second segment in "Alien vs. Predator". The lyrical content was the key BUT supporting what you said, they really wanted more of a sound-like for the old Sam Cooke "What a Wonderful World". But I know they listened! Lyrical content sometimes can be a key in addition to or instead of the "sound-like" thing.I just saw Nomi's post that TAXI was looking for adult contemporary songs a la Elton John... Damn! Where were these ads when I was a member??? LOL (I know, they don't come along often)... Matto, thanks again for always being there for folks and your honest replies. Warm regardsCasey www.broadjam.com/hurowitzwww.myspace.so ... ysongs.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

FOR SERGE in Help... Who do I sound like?

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Hey Serge Thanks again for taking the time to check out my songs...I've been listening to your work on your profile...Excellent pop songwriting! Your sound is not at all like what's on U.S. radio, which is why I probably like it so much. Yes, you are heavily Beatles/McCartney influenced, but I think you add some uniqueness beyond that. You are a skilled songwriter who really knows how to construct a hooky tune. I particular liked "Another Fool Like You"The area that I think can be improved is production. This is a weak area for me (I am production-challenged, all my work is done by a professional prodcuer)... So take this with a grain of salt... At times it feels like the tracks slip into that "made at home" sound.What are your goals? As an indie artist, these songs make a very enjoyable CD. In that situation the fact that you don't sound like current radio is not as much of a problem. For pitching to artists, it is nearly impossible to pitch songs to rock/pop acts- they almost always write their own. So, that leaves film and TV for which you need top notch production and more radio-sounding songs. So, you and I have similar challenges there. Of course, I know nothing about what's on the radio or TV in Russia.Have you ever thought of taking one of these excellent songs to a good studio/producer and have them recorded in a more modern style? A lot of my songs were done that way. I wrote them many years ago and had them re-done to sound as modern(?) as possible. I wrote "I Had Lunch With Your Wife Today" in the late 70's!! Have you ever listened to Smashmouth's "I'm a Believer"? I am inspired by the success of that remake.Well, that's all for now... Keep in touch!RegardsCaseywww.caseysongs.comwww.broadjam.com/hurowitzwww.myspace.com/charles_p_hurowitz

jcreed

Post by jcreed » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 am

I'm hearing a little "Metallica" myself
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Thanks, JC Wow, Metallica ... I don't know their music that well but they are metal... I never thought of my songs that way at all... (I consider myself more a softie)... I think it's the singer on tracks like Adrenaline and Physical World (Dan Marfisi) that gives the vocals the harder edge...Appreciate the listen.. I'll stop by your site and check out a song or two...Regards, Casey