I've had a block

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cjgomez06

I've had a block

Post by cjgomez06 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:59 am

Yes. I've had a block for quite some time now. If anyone has any song ideas or would to help me write a song, please email me at cgomez@brackett.k12.tx.usThank you.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I've had a block

Post by davewalton » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:42 am

Quote:Yes. I've had a block for quite some time now. If anyone has any song ideas or would to help me write a song, please email me at cgomez@brackett.k12.tx.usThank you. Hi,Well, there's the "quick fix" and then there's a longer term solution. I only have suggestions for both and no real answers. For the quick short term, I usually try to listen to new music that I haven't heard before. I do music that falls into the category of "soundtrack" so sometimes I'll get some soundtrack music from iTunes. Sometimes I'll go to someplace like "Soundclick" and listen to music in the "soundtrack" category. I'll also listen to categories that can be related to soundtrack like Electronica. Sometimes I'll go to various music libraries on the web and listen to the samples. Anything to spark my mind.For the longer term, there is a book called "The Artist's Way". Artist refers to anyone being creative. It's a book that takes you through a set of excercises (not physical) that develop over weeks and months. It's not a quick solution but it can lead to perhaps a new and more creative way of thinking overall. HTH,Dave

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:25 pm

Oh, I just wanted to chime in and say... I did the Artist's Way with my girlfriend 4 years ago... and it wasn't always an easy thing to do, or stay motivated with, but I think it was one of the best things I've ever done. We did it as partners, so we could share the ups and downs... and we took 2 or 3 weeks to work through each chapter. I highly recommend morning pages even if you do nothing else in the book... it just gets the junk out and the flow going. I aspire to live the most creative life possible, and I love what I do. The process that I experienced going through that book allowed to 'play' at painting. I started writing music again with a friend. I changed my priorities. I write music & play with music & teach music, now I'm experimenting with sonic textures and feels. I like to experiment with styles and genres and fusion... until I find something I feel expresses me. I think of my music like pictures... sensations... ideas... sonic poems. I feel like a kid with all the technology at my disposal. My recommendation for a block is... do something really different. Find a Chinese pop percussion and a classical flute riff and an Indian Sitar and mix em up. Just play for a bit, get away from form and structure and genre. Get excited about music again. 15 minutes of play a day and morning pages does wonders for the spirit. I also listen to LOTS of indie music, signed and unsigned. I'll turn on muchmusic and listen to hiphop and rap, I'll turn on CBC and listen to opera and jazz, I'll turn on my local rock station and listen to that... I'll turn on CMT and listen to country. I have different music in every room of my house .... there's that old saying... if you want things to change you need to do things differently, shake things up, open your mind to new possibilities. If you can't figure out what to write a song about, write a song about THAT. Just start!!!empty page...filled with rageempty page...silence has no soundempty pageempty fridgeempty lifeLOL just jamming... let us know how you get oncheersH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Try going to see some live music. Find some small hole in the wall with a great band!!!!or maybe a museum, or some nature...Zink