Country Forwards

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Country Forwards

Post by bigdrisk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 pm

If anyone has been forwarded on any of the country "song" listings in the last few months, I'd sure like to hear the song(s). Anyone willing to share? If so, please include the listing info that it was forwarded for. Thanks in advance.

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Country Forwards

Post by clonsberry » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 am

Quote:If anyone has been forwarded on any of the country "song" listings in the last few months, I'd sure like to hear the song(s). Anyone willing to share? If so, please include the listing info that it was forwarded for. Thanks in advance.I'd like to hear too.

ljweber70
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ljweber70 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 am

I had "South Of The Border" forwarded to the following listing a few months ago:A West Coast Publishing Co. that typically uses TAXI to find great material for Film/TV opportunities (they've placed tons of TAXI songs) is now seeking MAINSTREAM COUNTRY-POP SONGS to pitch to today's Nashville artists. They're expanding their reach as a publisher. Style-wise, think Crossover/Cosmopolitan Country a la Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Shania Twain, Kenny Rogers, the Judds, Big & Rich, Rebecca Lynn Howard, Tim McGraw, Dolly Parton, Alabama, etc. All tempos are OK. Lyrically, they're looking for great stories told in a very conversational manner. All topics/themes are OK. Bottom line is that they're looking for HITS. No need to submit same material that was forwarded for D070521CO. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than July 13, 2007. TAXI # S070713COHonestly, looking back (it was my first month of membership) I wouldn't think the song was on target, since it's more of a "Buffet" tune rather than a "Country-Pop" tune, but IMO, it's a crap shoot anyway. The screener added that if it had been more of a "hi-bar" listing, he probably wouldn't have forwarded it. I think I caught a screener on a good day.I'm not complaining http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... anks,Larry

westborn

Post by westborn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:27 am

I have submitted a few country songs. Never had a forward. I did post a message about a whiner (101) a few weeks ago. After that, Michael called me in my truck, while I was stuck in traffic. I guess that was better than a forward in some respects. He stated his views on the topic/dispatch. I stated mine. I liked him...never have met him....yet liked him over the phone.If he was listening to the country stuff, we might have a better chance of a foward.LOLHe definitely likes country. Im not sure about the screeners though.Getting a Nashville cut would be a great thing for Taxi, so it is in their interests to find one. I would like Taxi/Michael to run a survey and see what days of the week had the most forwards???Let's face it....cars built on Mondays and Friday in Detroit suck.If your song is listened to on a mon. or fri. does it hurt or help?There's always a trend in everything. I tracks trends for safety here at work. Are there forward trends at Taxi? Just some music for thought.James Westborn out4nowOh yea, I'm moving to the Nashville area in 2-3 months. That is going to be great. I'm just forwarding myself to the action.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 am

I've had one high bar country foward....I'll just post the link to my old thread.....I got the foward back in August for a song called "New Girl In New York City." One thing about those of us to who pitch to the country high bar.....we have to get used to lots of 'passes' because the bar is so high, but hang in there. http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 188&page=1

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 pm

It's been a year since my forward to a publisher in Nashville. I'm still working at it though!

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks for sharing Chitts and Larry. Listened to both songs. I thought both were pretty well-crafted lyrically. Some nice rhymes and pictures, Larry. Chitts, I've listened to yours before, but I particularly liked the false rhyme scheme you made work with "city," "minute," and "in it." Nicely done. And the demo is great, of course.What I'm particularly interested in are the comments Dave makes in the following write-up about Taxi: http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 818579Here Dave seems to be saying that the norm is for there to be perhaps 1000 submissions for these high-bar listings with maybe 10 being forwarded. First, to me this seems to indicate that there are an awful lot of Taxi members who don't post on these boards (seems like its the same 20 to 25 people). That's a shame because we're all in this together and could learn more from each other's experiences. And then it also seems to indicate that there ARE a number (be it very small) of forwards for these country listings. I'd just like to know who they are. I've had one forward. So, so far it looks like there are 3 of us, but many listings have come and gone in the last several months. Who are the rest of you?

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:17 pm

Quote:Thanks for sharing Chitts and Larry. Listened to both songs. I thought both were pretty well-crafted lyrically. Some nice rhymes and pictures, Larry. Chitts, I've listened to yours before, but I particularly liked the false rhyme scheme you made work with "city," "minute," and "in it." Nicely done. And the demo is great, of course.What I'm particularly interested in are the comments Dave makes in the following write-up about Taxi: http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 818579Here Dave seems to be saying that the norm is for there to be perhaps 1000 submissions for these high-bar listings with maybe 10 being forwarded. First, to me this seems to indicate that there are an awful lot of Taxi members who don't post on these boards (seems like its the same 20 to 25 people). That's a shame because we're all in this together and could learn more from each other's experiences. And then it also seems to indicate that there ARE a number (be it very small) of forwards for these country listings. I'd just like to know who they are. I've had one forward. So, so far it looks like there are 3 of us, but many listings have come and gone in the last several months. Who are the rest of you?Hey, bigdrisk. A lot of people just don't use the internet that much, and some might be too shy to post. I think that's why a lot of country writers aren't represented here....or maybe they don't want to post if they haven't had much luck getting fowards. I'm just glad that more country songwriters are coming on board now, even if it's only a few of you folks trickling in. I don't feel so outnumbered now. I'm glad you're here 'coz you give us some real insights into Nashville.I have to say that I wish country songwriter's foward rates were a little higher.....we need someone to break into Nashville (with a TAXI deal) to give us some hope, but I also realize the music biz moves slow too. Although in the past there have been two deals that TAXI got for folks, one of them, "Buy Me A Rose" with Kenny Rogers. The other one, "I Loved Her First" was a result of a deal that Elliot Park got through a TAXI songwriting deal, so there have been bright spots.But I'm no brown noser......Mr. Laskow even offered me a refund once 'coz he felt I was gripin' too much on the board. (I only griped in about 20 posts out of over a 1000 though, hehe) I didn't take the refund though. I dunno, I actually got invigorated by that incident.....made me want to try even harder. I plan to even renew my third year if possible. One of these days, I'm gonna get a deal...I'm that danged determined. I know, I know, that doesn't have much to do with your initial post.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Quote:Here Dave seems to be saying that the norm is for there to be perhaps 1000 submissions for these high-bar listings with maybe 10 being forwarded. First, to me this seems to indicate that there are an awful lot of Taxi members who don't post on these boards (seems like its the same 20 to 25 people). That's a shame because we're all in this together and could learn more from each other's experiences. And then it also seems to indicate that there ARE a number (be it very small) of forwards for these country listings. I'd just like to know who they are. I've had one forward. So, so far it looks like there are 3 of us, but many listings have come and gone in the last several months. Who are the rest of you?There are about 12000 Taxi members I believe. You know how many post here regularly...I would say it's a bit more than 20-25, but probably no more than 100 or so.I've met plenty of people at the annual Road Rally who have never posted here. All Taxi can do is inform people about the existence of this board, they can't force people to come on here and post .And yes, people do get forwarded to these highbar listings, absolutely. I would think it would be extremely rare for nobody to get forwarded, if it happens at all. It tends to be a small percentage for obvious reasons. Most major publishers use Taxi to find a few real gems they wouldn't find any other way, they don't want a hundred songs landing on their desks. So they ask Taxi to be extremely picky. Which means a lot of really good songs that may just have one minor flaw or may not be 100% dead on target will fall by the wayside. Nothing that can really be done about that.I've had some highbar forwards (where maybe 10-15 songs made it out of a thousand or more), but none in country as I don't have the lyric writing chops to hang in with the big boys and girls...but when I submit to those high bar listings I fully expect to be rejected. I mean, I'd have to be pretty incredibly full of myslf not to allow for the possibility that among the 12000 Taxi members there could be 10 or 15 that might've come up with a better song than me, or one that fit the target better for the particular opportunity in question.At the same time, if I feel I might have a shot at the top 10, might as well risk the 5 bucks on it. The odds are still way better than the lottery, even if there's some amount of luck involved.

bigdrisk
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bigdrisk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Yeah, I didn't start this thread as a dare or anything. I just honestly wanted to know and wish those who ARE being forwarded for these listings would check in on the forum. Not upset about it. Just wishing. Oh, and I also didn't mean that I'm tired of hearing from any of the 20 - 25 people I was referring to. And if it's more like 100, then I guess I still have some people to get to know.