NOT A COMPLAINT BUT A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kango44

NOT A COMPLAINT BUT A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION

Post by kango44 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:42 am

Its my belief that I don't truly have the right to criticize a listeners critique for the simple reason that their job is hard enough trying to determine what songs should be forwarded out of the hundreds of songs submitted. I'm sure everyone thinks their song should be forwarded, but for the Publishing companies, Record Co., and Movie production houses to take Taxi seriously, it is of the up most importance that Taxi forwards the absolute best songs available. And that task can be daunting to say the least, so i have the up most respect for that decision making process. That being said, here's my story. I recently submitted a package of songs (5 songs in all) to Listing #S080929NS (NEO-SOUL SONGS AND INSTRUMENTALS a la John Legend, D'Angelo, Anthony Hamilton, Donell Jones, etc. are wanted by an Independent Production Company which specializes in Gospel/Inspirational projects. These songs and tracks are for a new male artist who is a Contemporary Gospel singer in need of great songs with a positive message. The stylistic approach should be very current and hip, with a contemporary R&B/NeoSoul tone. Lyrically, the overall feel should be upbeat and inspirational. The Producer for this project will be screening the submissions himself, so submit your very best!). I submitted the package of songs via two separate submissions, all critiqued by the same listener (ID #254). On the surface, I should not or could not have a problem with my review. ID #254 gave my songs an overall average rating of 8.45 with one of my songs ("Back 2 Love"-vocal hook) garnering a perfect 10. Here's where i think a disservice has been done. Out of the five songs submitted, NONE were forwarded, including the song that received the 10 rating. The specific comments for the song rating the 10 are as follows; "I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! However, I do feel it more identifiable with the Contemporary Jazz category. Please don't let that take anything away from this track. This is an amazing piece and the only thing missing, in my opinion, are well thought out piano solos during the verse sections. This song is a Hit!!!!!! This just might not have been the best listing to spotlight this amazing tune!" along with the two overall comments: " You're a masterful musician and Jazz producer! Your works are truly amazing, in my opinion, however, this wasn't the platform for this submission. This was a NeoSoul listing seeking works that compliment the current state of the Genre. John Legend would be an excellent reference. Consider studying his latest works to get an example of what this listing's sponsor was seeking after". AND "Joey, you are obviously a very talented soul that certainly creates great music. Your music feels good to the soul and your work carry an air of consistency that compliments the Genre very well. However, this was a listing seeking after Eclectic NeoSoul/Hip Hop fused works in the Likes of Erykah Badu, John Legend, and Musiq Soulchild. Consider referencing these artists to get a better example of what this listing was seeking after". The big issue for me is that all but one of my submissions were instrumental (which was a type of song the listing asked for) and that #254 had a difficult time adjusting to. All they heard was a jazz piece and didn't allow themselves to be more broad with their music genrefication. Even to go as far as giving me production tips on how to make this piece MORE Jazzy (her advice about the piano solos). The major problem i have is that all of the examples given to me (John Legend,Erykah Badu,Musiq Soulchild etc.) have roots of jazz in their background and is obvious in their music. Where I hear NeoSoul vocal, Listener ID #254 hears Jazz instrumental solo. The plain difference (in my humble opinion) between my package of songs and the artists songs the listener is referancing are the VOCALS themselves. Take the vocals off of John Legend,Erykah Badu,Musiq Soulchild tracks and #245 may feel the same about them. I understand and appreciate the fact that ID #254 hears the quality in my material, however, to rate the songs under this listing AT ALL knowing in their mind that the songs are inappropriate, does the submitter a disservice being that the more appropriate rating would be to check the N/A box since in their opinion the material is NOT APPLICABLE. I can swallow that a bit easier then to tell me how "masterful" a " Hit song" i have, but not good enough to forward. And I'm sure the listener didn't come to that conclusion easily being in the situation they found themselves in. (to forward or not to), That's why i can appreciate a situation Listener ID #246 found them self in regarding a submission of mine for Listing #S080320HH (Hip,Fun & upbeat Hip Hop/Rap Songs). Faced with a similar decision they stated in their general comments "I'm not quite sure if its the exact vibe that they were looking for, but I'm gonna push it through as its a solid song, and has some nice marketability to it". Lastly, even though Taxi has a Jazz Category, if i took the Listeners' advice to submit to Contemporary Jazz, I would only submit 2-3 times a year for those types of listings are rare. Again I hope this doesn't come off solely as a complaint. I just want to make sure that the right material will reach the ear of the right people. I keep thinking that if the critiquer found themselves rating my music so respectable, what would the Producer of the project think. At least give them a chance to say that this material is N/A. With that, I'll forever support Taxi and I thank you all for the work you do for us songwriters & producers. You can go to www.taxi.com/sasweetiemusic to here the Songs submitted.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: NOT A COMPLAINT BUT A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION

Post by sgs4u » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 am

I would have liked to listen, your Taxi site won't let us. And really, man, if you want people to read your thoughts, make them a little easier on the eyes. Use some paragraphs. That long paragraph just made me go cross-eyed, so I fast-forwarded down to the bottom to listen to your tunes, to no avail. Anyone that screeners like as much as you've told us here, deserves attention (mine at least), but you could make it easier...

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:22 pm

It's pretty difficult to read your post (long, unbroken paragraphs of white text on dark background start to make my eyes tweak out) but from what I was able to gather, your music, even if it's fantastic, wasn't targeted to the listing, which meant that they couldn't forward it. The screeners are bound by the listing, no matter how much they rave about your music. This is discussed at least once or twice a month here, ad nauseum. You can certainly submit to any listing you choose to, but you'll have more success if you target your submissions. That's part of the learning curve with TAXI. I've found the practice of targeting listings has helped me in other writing gigs as well.FWIW,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

kango44

Post by kango44 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Steve, When i submitted the message, that's how it came out as a post . There were pharagraghs, It just didn't post the same way. And Mazz, regarding my targeted submissions, that was my whole basis of my post, If you take the time to READ what i'm saying. I'm hoping a taxi official reads this cause this dosen'y just concern my submissions but many other members submissions as well

kango44

Post by kango44 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I don't know why my site won't let you listen. It's open to the public

djdale
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by djdale » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:08 pm

I got in but you have not uploaded any tunes.Dale
Never, never , never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Punk.Chew.Hay.Shun.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Kango,I think you didn't read my post clearly either. I said that your post was difficult to read because it was one huge paragraph. If you would go in and put some spaces between your paragraphs, I'd be happy to go back and read your post and revise my comments if necessary. Otherwise, I can only get what I can scan because my eyes cannot follow that much text all in one big blob. Sorry.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Well I can view the page, but like djdale said it says that no songs have been uploaded yet. Thats a shame because I really wanted to hear them, especially after reading your bio.If you really want TAXI to hear your concerns regarding this listing you should call them. -SteveP.S. You can click "Modify" to go back and edit your post to put some spaces in and it should show up more readable.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:13 pm

Hey Joey,Well first off, yep, I read through your entire post (and I'm blind! not really) so if you wouldn't mind, maybe I could make a quick suggestion so we can get other posters on board?If you could right click on your post, click "copy" then paste it into a new reply, then be careful to hit enter a couple of times between paragraphs, that should help a lot.Okay, about what you're saying. I think I understand your POV here. It's really painful to receive a solid 10 review from someone and then be rejected for the listing. It's almost like, 'what's the point?' Which I think is what you were saying when you wondered why he didn't click N/A if it didn't fit the listing, right?So here're what I think are the points (jes my opinion though and can't wait to hear your music! Hope you load them up quick cuz I didn't see any tunes!):1. If we've ponied up our cash to join Taxi and Taxi provides us with screeners, it would be a bit of fraud to have them click n/a. Sure, we might've missed the listing by miles but their job is still to screen and to provide us with a critique. What kind of critique? That appears to be open for debate (again and again! ). 2. I've had at least two solid 10 critiques. One was forwarded, one was not. My perspective is this: Over the past two years, I've gotten a 'feel' for the screeners and some of them I absolutely trust to pieces to tell me what's right/wrong with my tunes and I respect the tar out of them. Getting a 10 from those guys is crazy amazing. On the other hand, statistically speaking, there will be a few high-scorer types. That is, they consistently score their subjects high (see the stats in industrial psych, kids). It doesn't mean that the music isn't good; it just might not be as good to the other screener who is likely to score a bit more realistically. Don't know how long you've been a member but if not long, you'll begin to see patterns as well. So perhaps your guy fell into the second category, scored your tune high while you still missed the listing. On the other hand, he might be a tough scorer, genuinely have felt that your tunes rock the free world but they just didn't meet the criteria as he understood it. Hard to say, right? Cuz I sho can't! (I think I know that screener!) Either way, the song missed the listing and they jes ain't gonna forward the tune if they think it didn't meet the requirements for it. We can be all argumentative (I have! ) but it won't change anything and it's a more effective use of your energy to keep submitting for other listings and writing more.3. If you really feel shorted, you can call the taxi number (see at the top of this page) and ask for Robin, see if she'll do a rescreen foi ya. Chances are, she won't. But it's worth trying!4. I hope you get your music up soon. You're writing in a field I really enjoy hearing and singing so it's always fun to hear somebody with your credentials (according to your taxi page) who gets critiques like this.I hope you keep at it. I can see you have respect for Taxi. I know you'll get there.