man it seems like...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bluntbeats314
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

man it seems like...

Post by bluntbeats314 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:51 pm

i have all the rejection "potential" as a taxi member. man i finally got an "on target" check BUT..."This track has potential, but right now it isn't close enough to the request of this listing"im a little confused because i waited a month for that "review" and it seems a little dry & contradictory. no need to gripe i guess, wu-tang had that underground, not quite perfect vibe but i guess that was then. i'm a fan of hip hop but it's a little hard to decide where hip hop's sound went. seems like everything that gets radio play is bubble gum music damnit i can't win for losing .i've read all the posts about TAXI being here to help and there are screeners that give you that detailed motivating critique that makes you say "now i hear what he/she's saying." then there's the one like above that says 'aw man i missed one, lemme get it outta the way real quick."i remember a guy in the industry telling me that "the music or beat that you create that moves you the most won't relay that same feeling to other's no matter how hard you try"...then why try to make something from nothing? http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/songs. ... strumental is called FREESTYLE CHRONICLESi got straight 6's down the board and "the bass clashes with some notes of other instruments in the song" i thought my mix was pretty good. the bass sounds pretty good as it follows the melody and the guitar makes us move when it drops. i guess my ears are just bad
impossible is what I've already done because I was told I couldn't, so please find another way to motivate me...

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: man it seems like...

Post by sgs4u » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Sorry pal, can't listen to your tunes 'cause your Taxi site is probably not set up to play them. Nothing happened when I hit the play button.

bluntbeats314
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bluntbeats314 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:13 pm

sorry try this one because i really like this one and i need all the feedback i can get to make sure i'm not going crazy guyshttp://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6912298&q=hi
impossible is what I've already done because I was told I couldn't, so please find another way to motivate me...

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:56 am

I didn't hear the bass clashing with anything. I guess I might have liked to have heard the keyboard do something more interesting than repeat the same loop over and over (especially the arpeggio which seemed overused) but this is not really my genre so I may be out of touch on this.Cam

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:57 am

I heard some clashing of the bass at times, but I dig this.... This is hip hop, but I know what you're saying... I think Hip Hop is starting to take a more futuristic vibe with a lot more synth etc in there... this is a nice OLD SKOOL vibe ala Dre... keep it up dude - this should find a home very soon.

bluntbeats314
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bluntbeats314 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:10 am

thanks guys for taking the time to listen to my work. i appreciate both of your opinions. c.e sometimes in hip-hop a producer wil take a loop and do a few diff chops with it which i didnt do because it's a verse long and it felt good but i understand exactly where you're coming from. thanks brad and i hope because this has a kweli, lupe or even nas feel to it. youre right it seems like hip-hop is on its way to becoming mainstream party music. guess i just miss the days when an eminem verse hit the waves and ppl cleared the dance floor, nodded their heads and mouthed every word... oh well i guess i'll study the commercial sound some more.take care guys and thanks again i really appreciate it.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 am

Just my .02, but the keyboard clearly establishes a certain key, and it seems like every loop that was added, was in a different key. The flute sounds like it may be in key when it starts out, but eventually the notes being played just don't match the key of keyboard. The synth sound is definitely out of key and just doesn't match. Bass line neither. IMHO, everything is clashing with the initial keyboard & drum loop. Hate to sound harsh, but honestly, that's something that's kinda' turned me off about hip-hop/rap, when they start layering loops and vocals and things that are really out of key with the inital groove. Most of the time, to my ears, it just don't sound right. May have been a contributing factor on the screener's decision. Sorry.I-468

bluntbeats314
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bluntbeats314 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 am

points well taken ibanez now i have something to experiment with before i make my next submission. you guys have given me enough feedback and constructive criticism to rethink how i develop the elements in my beats. the next time i'm heard from it'll be because i've gotten my first forward. thanks a lot to everyone that has taken the time to listen and an even greater thanks to those offering feedback. this forum thingy isn't bad at all when it comes to direction and feedback...imho that is