Twilight - multi-guitar piece

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Twilight - multi-guitar piece

Post by remmet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm not sure if this piece would ever work for a Taxi submission, and it may be a strange one to comment on, but I'd be interested in any reactions.http://www.richardemmet.com/Twilight.mp ... demmet.com

maceman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Twilight - multi-guitar piece

Post by maceman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 am

Richard,This sounded really really nice..... Such a clear recording that evoked such moods....I can't comment if it would/could be used for Taxi as I am not yet a member nor know the bar that is set by them yet.... but I can definitely see this as background music for a movie piece, twilight or otherwise... I actually didn't get twilight myself, well maybe, but also a scene walking through a forest, like the village(night shyamalan stuff)....btw- i check out your website and photos and the mad composer comment made me laugh at your hairdo I guess tha twas during the zappa years eh?Great piece!Maceman

ab

Post by ab » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:57 pm

wow... i

ab

Post by ab » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:03 pm

(continuation).... really thought i was on a cloud bt one strumming chord threw me off... then it was in the same sequence... that hurt.. overall i enjoyed it and would at the movies as well...the part wher the kid fell tryn to learn how to ride a ghost bike or sum...

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:15 am

Sept 12, 2008, 6:46am, maceman wrote:Richard,This sounded really really nice..... Such a clear recording that evoked such moods....I can't comment if it would/could be used for Taxi as I am not yet a member nor know the bar that is set by them yet.... but I can definitely see this as background music for a movie piece, twilight or otherwise... I actually didn't get twilight myself, well maybe, but also a scene walking through a forest, like the village(night shyamalan stuff)....btw- i check out your website and photos and the mad composer comment made me laugh at your hairdo I guess tha twas during the zappa years eh?Great piece!MacemanAh, those crazy Zappa years (when I had more hair on my head!).This guitar piece came about after I bought a new Ovation acoustic guitar with a pickup which finally allowed me to record without worrying about microphones. I also thought it would be interesting to see what type of sounds and textures I could make using the guitar with different picks and objects striking the strings, and combine it with Reaktor's amazing reverb.I've gotten a few suggestions about adding a melody to the piece using other instruments. I'm thinking about it, but I haven't come up with any ideas yet.Richard

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by byllsong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 am

Hey RichardI agree with ab's first post...WowI 'get' twilight. I closed my eyes and found myself down by the beach.Nice piece. Would go well in a movie.Billy...several minutes later...I just checked out you site. You got some good music there.
Billy

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:37 am

Very cool textures and tonality. Really enjoyed it. I could see this used for some short (15, 30 to 60 second) cues. Might be fun to have a version that has a rhythmic element that come in and out, and maybe some contrasting ambient textures (I'dunno, maybe backwards cymbals or bells).

tmarcoe

Post by tmarcoe » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:20 pm

This would make good music for video. It really invokes strong moods and it's very relaxing. I liked it Another option might be to borrow parts of it for other songs but it really sounds good intact, as it is.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 am

Wow, I think this is gorgeous. What are you using for reverb? it almost takes on the the quality of a keyboard synth, it's so dense.As fas as listings, I'd be careful so you don't waste 5 bucks. While it is completely creative, well played, broadcast quality, etc... my personal experience is that screeners tend to stay away from stuff without a discernible written melody and song form. Not that they don't appreciate music like this, it just seems to me that the qualities I mentioned are at the top of the list when it comes to forwards.But for just the right listing, I think it would be an excellent piece.Elser

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks Elser. I agree that this piece is fairly unlikely to fit a standard instrumental listing. My goal is to make this part of an entire album of guitar music, so its usefulness for Taxi was secondary. But you never know.The reverb came from Reaktor. It really is pretty amazing.Richard Oct 15, 2008, 11:35am, fretnoise wrote:Wow, I think this is gorgeous. What are you using for reverb? it almost takes on the the quality of a keyboard synth, it's so dense.As fas as listings, I'd be careful so you don't waste 5 bucks. While it is completely creative, well played, broadcast quality, etc... my personal experience is that screeners tend to stay away from stuff without a discernible written melody and song form. Not that they don't appreciate music like this, it just seems to me that the qualities I mentioned are at the top of the list when it comes to forwards.But for just the right listing, I think it would be an excellent piece.Elser