New Age return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

New Age return

Post by weslong » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Okay, my first submission got a return. I sort of figured it would anyway. Doesn't hurt to try and a critique is always good.The thing that killed me mostly with this was that the reviewer said that the song sounded more like a band piece rather than an artist piece. I don't like this whole 'being pigeon-holed in a category' shit. I'm neither band nor artist- I wear whatever hat I happen to like at the time when I'm producing. But, I guess in the name of getting forwards I'll have to make sure for the artist listings that I have stuff that has one primary instrument up in the front taking the lead. I agree with the reviewer as I can certainly understand where they are coming in relation to the needs of the listing, however grudgingly. There were a couple of goofy remarks about the production itself I didn't agree but whatever... Good scores overall: Music 8 Lyrics N/A Marketability 7 Arrangement 7 Production 8 Engineering 8 Musicianship 8 Lead Vocal N/AReturned: Not close enough to what the listing asks for.Review in brief:very interesting intro... the piano lead melody intertwined with the violin adds a nice color... the lyrical sound of the violin contrasts nicely with the piano... not sure of the treble bass sounding solo... i like the way the intro is used to segue using the distorted guitar (is that what that is?)... nice idea to bring all of the parts together in the end... intriguing concept blending styles...ListingNEW AGE ARTISTS are wanted by the VP of A&R at an International Independent Record Label with worldwide distribution. This label specializes in New Age and World Music and is extremely high-profile in those circles. They're looking for more than just the easy listening New Age of the past - they'd like to hear some more contemporary influences and cutting edge soundscapes. They're very interested in artists who have established themselves online, with some sales and a bit of touring experience. These things aren't necessary to submit, but please don't forget to submit a photo/bio regardless of your experience/history. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than August 14, 2008. TAXI #S080814NAhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=157737&stream=true

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: New Age return

Post by hummingbird » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi Weslong - I'm sorry to hear about the return, I know it's frustrating. I had a listen to the track, and I think it is a cool track and has an atmosphere, but it certainly doesn't strike me as new age. It has more of a jazz feel, IMO. Seems to me that you actually got a pretty good review for a track that was submitted to the wrong listing. I'd reframe it in your mind, and submit again.JMHO... I could be totally out to lunch
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:45 pm

No, you're right. I submitted on the premise that the listing was looking for something along the same lines as Interior which is New Age but edgy. This song is somewhat similar, sound-wise, to their piece called 'Gaia'. They were a Japanese band on the Windham Hill label some years ago. I was sort of pushing the envelope here and hoping I'd get lucky.It'll have to be submitted for something else. I bet those scores will be even better once it's on target!

ab

Post by ab » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:35 pm

hav you tried posting that same song on another listing? aye lets say tv/ film? or in that area... honestly my friend, i seriously came up with a jingle "visionly" (if thats a word lol).. bt thats a good thing bcuz now you can excatly figure out wher it needs to go.. try tv and film for the category my brother.. it sounds like a commercial to me.. id use it all the way dude... yes ima black guy in tha hood who enjoys your music.. im different my friend... stay focused.. cuz like grandma says.. "somethin's gotta give"... my oposition statement is.. know your listings.. it'll save you time.. and money...

ab

Post by ab » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:51 pm

oh yeah.. this is the black guy again.. did i mention, know your listings? because im 100% sure if you would of ran the football down the right end of the field you would of clearly made a touchdown!! your very talented tho,... so keep up the excellent work.. because were only human and we make mistakes and learn from them... oh yeah, did i mention... YOUR a VERY TALENTED, MR.DUDE who enjoys switching his hats around to find HIS COMFORT ZONE>>> thats it!!! QUICKLY!!!!.... ineed one of your hats.... it'll help find my comfort zone TOO!!!... the power to excellent music is in the depths of your hat.. keep em there my brother.. stay focused on your craft...

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, ab! I really appreciate it! Sorry, I haven't responded sooner. I've been having access problems over here on the China side. Today is the first day in almost week that I haven't had to use a proxy server just to get on these forums! Hopefully, it will stay that way for awhile. We have freaky internet problems here.Anyway, cheers to you my man!