Reviewers assumptions

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

franz
Active
Active

Reviewers assumptions

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 am

"Hello Franz, this is a skillful flute performance, though the solo presentation wouldn't be appropriate for this listing. The listing specifies 'no solo piano or guitar' so I would conclude that solo flute wouldn't be in line with their request, either. You might consider crafting a version with acoustic piano or maybe a nylon string guitar for accompaniment. That would result in a more marketable product."I think this is self explanatory. I am not sure how "no solo piano or guitar" means no solo flute??? ?? Unfortunately the flute I am playing is not in a scale used in western music and can therefore not used in context with western instruments. The reviewer couldn't hear that fact either. How do these people get picked. Maybe "reading" should be a pre requisit to be a reviewer at Taxi.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Reviewers assumptions

Post by davewalton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:25 am

Quote:I think this is self explanatory. I am not sure how "no solo piano or guitar" means no solo flute??? ?? They didn't specifically mention not wanting solo tuba either but I wouldn't have high hopes for a solo tuba submission. The "letter" of the listing only mentions solo piano and guitar but the "spirit" of the listing seems to be saying that they don't want solo instruments. Always go with the most likely scenerio. If they're saying "no solo guitar or piano" the most likely scenerio that comes to my mind wouldn't be solo flute (or solo anything). Dave

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 am

Dave,This is a meditation music listing. Tuba, a very beautiful instrument is not known to invoke deep states of relaxation (maybe there are some people...) the flute I am using very much does.Your comment is irrelevant and spiteful, sorry.So it is necessary to be in contact with the spirit realm to figure out what taxi listings are asking for?The spirit of the listing, SEEMS TO BE SAYING, give me a break dude....!Maybe the people who write the listings should try english.I seem to be saying you are %^%$#$#@!@ but I really don't.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:19 am

Quote:Your comment is irrelevant and spiteful, sorry.So it is necessary to be in contact with the spirit realm to figure out what taxi listings are asking for?The spirit of the listing, SEEMS TO BE SAYING, give me a break dude....!Maybe the people who write the listings should try english.I seem to be saying you are %^%$#$#@!@ but I really don't.I can appreciate that you are upset with your return, however, I think you misread Dave's post. He made an attempt at humour which you've taken as a 'spiteful' comment. I'm quite sure he didn't mean it that way.He has some experience with instrumental listings since he is one of the Taxi members who is writing music for tv shows like Oprah, etc. He was trying to give you his reading of the listing based on his knowledge of the art of matching the song to the listing. That's what we're here for, to share the knowledge that we've gained and support each other in the often frustrating profession we call professional songwriting. In my own journey, my goal has been even to get to the point you are at - to be able to send in good quality well-produced music. The second goal is to be able to read the listings effectively - that seems to be a big part of success with Taxi.Maybe you were returned for this particular listing, but I'll bet there will be others for which your piece will be exactly right for. Do you have any music on line? I'd love to hear it,cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:24 am

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:28 am

Quote:Your comment is irrelevant and spiteful, sorry.Oh foof. See these little things here? They're designed to convey the emotion of the post. I ended my sections with and , not .Quote:So it is necessary to be in contact with the spirit realm to figure out what taxi listings are asking for?It's necessary sometimes to "read between the lines", not easy and kind of an art in and of itself. If you're ever unsure (and a lot of listings aren't crystal clear), post the question here or call Taxi and ask. I'm confident that if you had asked the question here or directly to Taxi that you would have been encouraged to not do a solo flute. Quote:The spirit of the listing, SEEMS TO BE SAYING, give me a break dude....!Maybe the people who write the listings should try english.I seem to be saying you are %^%$#$#@!@ but I really don't.It's up to us to accomodate ourselves to try to meet the requirements of the client. That goes for any listings outside of Taxi as well. By the way, requests for music outside of Taxi are many times more vague than any Taxi listing. Examples from my own experience are:"Funky Country/Americana with a little bit of Rock""Something really drawn out even odd if it works.Something that represents an echo I guess is what I'mafter...""I am looking for something simple and positive, think perfect moment or how much is the dog in the window style (yes I know it sounds cheesy)".They're the ones in the drivers seat so I just do the best I can. If I don't get it I learn from the experience and move on. No biggie.Dave <---PS - On the link you gave, I think that Broadjam needs the "www" in order to resolve the url successfully

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 am

I know Dave you have to try and lecture me. That's OK. At least I know I am a 9 out of 10 flutist (not bad for my very first solo flute recording ever). thanks for catching the www.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:42 am

Quote:http://broadjam.com/FranzAlso Yahoo "Franz Pusch"the correct link is .... http://www.broadjam.com/Franz I like Tommorrow Now. It's got a real sense of character.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 am

Dear Hummingbird,Thanks you for listening! I appreciate you taking the time and posting a positive comment...it always feels good.

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:07 am

Quote:the art of matching the song to the listing. Isn't that what we are paying Laskow for? That's a publisher's gig not an artist's gig.If this is true then you can only be a Taxi member if you are a publisher composers not welcome.