On Target But Not Forwarded?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

trocat

On Target But Not Forwarded?

Post by trocat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 am

This is my first post here on the forum. I really didn't have much to post until recently. lately, I've been getting songs coming back as returned and I am little disappointed in the screener's decision to return them. Here's the deal, I am getting 7-9's on the scores and they are "on target for the listings" yet they are being returned because the screener does not think the lyrics are not strong enough. My issue here, is the fact that they are on target, the music and production is good yet the screener didn't like the lyrics. I feel that if the song is on target and the production is good that it should be forwarded and then let the lister decide if the lyrics work for him. It gets pretty frustrating to get them returned based on the screeners opinion of the lyrics! If the production is good and the listings on target, forward the frickin' song and let the lister decide on the lyrics! Especially when I'm dropping cash when ever I send in songs. I have had forwards with the same songs at times but many of my forwards seem to go to companies that I have never heard of and I can't find anything about most of them online! In this day an age if a company, manager, producer, etc. posting listings are working in the biz and are legit, I would think they would have a web presence of some kind! Makes me skeptical about the forwards I do get (am I getting forwards to small companies every so often just to pacify me?).That's my rant for my first post. If anyone has insight please fill me in!Troy Castellanomyspace.com/troycastellano

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: On Target But Not Forwarded?

Post by aimusic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:21 am

Hey Troy,I share your pain on that one dude - sometimes I wonder the same thing... I mean surely if your song is on target, the producer/publisher has the right to hear it and say "I like it but I think the lyric is a little off" etc... but then again I don't know the process etc... The problem is music is very subjective, what one person thinks are aweful lyrics, another might think they are brilliant etc... So it's a tough call.I dig No Cure..P.s. on your SOUNDS LIKE, you could put Bryan Adams/Bon Jovi ...not sure if you like em, but that's the kind of vibe I get.Take CareB

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:39 am

Jun 20, 2008, 7:20am, trocat wrote:The problem is it's not just one song.TroyWell, then pick one or two. The REAL problem is that without the listing, the song (including lyrics) and the critique in question, nobody has anything to go on. AimMusic's already enlightening comments aren't as enlightening as they would be if he (and we) had something more substantive to work with.

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:43 am

Dave, my posts are always enlightening ... I think..hahahahahaI'm not commenting on his songs, I'm just commenting on the situation.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:46 am

Hi TroyI'm on your myspace page... Enjoying... "No Cure" is really good... What types of listings are you submitting to? Song pitches to publishers and pitching yourself as an artist to labels have much higher standards. With film/TV, lyrics aren't scrutinized quite as much. What are your goals? Do you belong to Dispatch? Casey

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 am

Tony,First I want to commend you on using your name. It gives a lot more credence to your self proclaimed "rant".First of all, the screeners are not asked by the listing party to send them stuff that is close to the mark so they can decide whether or not it fits. The reason clients use Taxi is to weed out things that don't fit. Also, the screeners are trained with this mindset (and I'm paraphrasing) - "would you stake your A&R career and personally walk this into the President's office with your endorsement". So the thing is, if a screener thinks the lyrics are not strong enough, then he/she can't forward it. The upside of that is that when you do get forwarded you know the screener really believes in all aspects of the song that are required for the listing.That said, it can still be frustrating. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and they all smell One screener may like the lyrics, melody or something else, and another screener may not. This is not some kind of science where a computer algorithm can decide how good a song is. I know it's hard to take any comfort in that because we all would love to have totally consistent results. But the real world is just like that. Past the screeners, even if they thought it was perfect, there will be someone else deciding if it's good enough or not, based on their own opinion. The key is to look for trends, not single opinions.If they forwarded you because you are dropping cash, then I would quit Taxi because it would not be a valuable resource to their clients. I'd rather the bar be high and possibly miss a few fowards in order to be among the cream of the crop when I am forwarded. The clients know Taxi won't send anything they don't believe fits. If that bar were ever lowered it would be detrimental to all of us.As far as companies not having a web presence... there are many very legit, highly successful companies in this biz that don't have a web presence. Many of these companies never deal with the general public and have no need to advertise their services. I can't say that in all cases no web presence means that, but in many cases that's exactly who you want to have your music because they do face to face business based on their reputation and results. Some of the libraries with a huge web presence don't have near the clout of a seemingly small company who has great networking connections and no need for a cool website.And trust me, Taxi will never forward you to "pacify" you. If you are getting forwarded then Taxi believes that your material was what the client asked for.There's nothing wrong with your "rant". Most of us have been there. The good thing is that you ARE getting forwarded. Another thing, correctly targeting the listings is one of the hardest parts of this game, so you are doing well!Don't get frustrated or down, or too elated by one return or forward. This is a long term process, and even without hearing your stuff, if you are getting forwards this early, you have potential to do very well.Aub

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 am

Jun 20, 2008, 7:43am, aimusic wrote:Dave, my posts are always enlightening ... I think..hahahahahaSee my modified comments to square up with that reality.

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:53 am

Jun 20, 2008, 7:48am, davewalton wrote:Jun 20, 2008, 7:43am, aimusic wrote:Dave, my posts are always enlightening ... I think..hahahahahaSee my modified comments to square up with that reality. HAHAHA DAVE that's classic, thanks - I had a good laugh - much needed too - thanks!!!!

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:27 am

Troy, munch on Aub's post for a while. Take a break, then come back to it and read it again later. Absorb the nuances he succinctly describes. Lot's of good feedback here, but Aub's post boils it down to a low gravy that you will do well to pour all over your muse bc

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:29 am

Jun 20, 2008, 8:04am, trocat wrote:I'm not sure I buy into everything Aub Delane is stating, especially with starting the reply off with the wrong name. It's Troy not Tony. Make's me wonder if you have that reply canned (don't take offense, I do appreciate the reply effort). ...TroyTroy,My apologies for screwing up the name. I often have the symptoms of additive dyslexia when in a hurry. So here's the deal... I read your post, and have better things to do than type a response but think.... Yeah-- I've been where that guy is... I'll try to help him understand what it took me several years to learn... then get the "makes me think that was canned"... response. At least you didn't accuse me of working for Taxi Although I'm getting to the point of "why even bother", if you really want to know how Taxi and this business works, there are many of us around here who have been members of both Taxi and this forum for quite some time, with varying levels of success. Whether you want to learn or are more content to just rant is up to you. Your post struck me as you might be in the former rather than latter category. We'll see.Aub