"Hands Off My Lady" [honesty only]

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: "Hands Off My Lady" [honesty only]

Post by jeffabbey » Tue May 20, 2008 8:18 am

You’re correct Marc, there is no standard. It’s just a matter of what the engineer or performer wants the end product to be. I like to take the drums and spread them wide so they are not getting in the way of other instruments and I like drums to be heard from an audience’s perspective. But I had to remove your 10 point so it would end up in a three-way tie because I wanted all of the donuts to end up going to the audience. You have to read all the previous post to understand why.A good friend of mine, Frank Briggs, just released his first album “China Ranch” which is jazz-fusion. If you go to http://myspace.com/frankbriggsband you will see that much of his drums are center and featured because he is the one who wrote all the music. If you listen far enough into his streaming of differ cuts of the album you’ll hear him come to a drum solo and this is where the mixer, Rich Breen spreads the drums wide.Frank offered to play on one of my songs for free but I told him, “No, I want to pay you to make it worth your while because I want you to play on all of the songs and not just one.” With the drums being program by me they sound like a sloppy mesh and Frank would be the one to really pull “Hands Off My Lady” into that samba beat.Thanks again Marc for listening to the song and I especially want to thank you for your high compliments.Jeff

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Tue May 20, 2008 2:56 pm

P.S. If you wanted a real bass line, I can at least contribute that. No charge...I'm just getting tired of hearing my own songs....right....about.....(wait for it...wait for it...)now.
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

jeffabbey
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffabbey » Tue May 20, 2008 3:20 pm

Devin,You should have offered yesterday because today I finally located the bass player I played in a group with 30 years ago. However, point me to a song of you playing bass that punchy just in case he does not show.Jeff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 pm

May 20, 2008, 5:17am, marcblack30 wrote:This is interesting, i guess i always mix from a drummers perspective. listening to some tunes this morning and i hear the drums mixed both ways, is there really a standard? my drum software by default is from a drummers perspective as well.Hey marcblack30,Like jeff mentioned, as far as I know, and what I've read, it's all a matter of taste which way one prefers ta' pan the drums. I used ta' pan 'em from the drummer's perspective years ago, but then I read about those who pan them in the opposite direction and tried it out, and got ta' thinking..."Ya' know, that makes more sense ta' me, 'cause the listener or the audience never hears or sees the drums from the drummer's perspective".So from that point on, I started panning the opposite direction. But there again, it's all just a matter of taste, and what one engineer/producer/musician prefers to another. And so I guess my thinking is...I have my instruments (guitar, bass, drums, keys, and other miscellaneous items) panned according to how they would be positioned on a stage, and what they would sound like if I were observing the stage from the audience's point of view, thus the panning for drums would be from right to left instead of left to right, which is the typical drummer's perspective. Just my .02.BTW...my drum software & modules & things usually default to the drummer's perspective as well. I always end up changing it somewhere down the line. I recall my old version of BFD has a setting in it where all I had ta' do was click on a button, and I could change the perspective back 'n forth. Don't know if that feature still exists in the newer versions these days, but it was a really cool feature.Quote:may have to start another thread.Just might. It might be interesting ta' see how others set up their drum panning, if at all.

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Thu May 22, 2008 12:52 am

May 20, 2008, 6:20pm, jeffabbey wrote:Devin,You should have offered yesterday because today I finally located the bass player I played in a group with 30 years ago. However, point me to a song of you playing bass that punchy just in case he does not show.JeffI'm glad you hooked up again...that's always fun!That bass line is very punchy...I don't know if my passive electronics can duplicate it. I can certainly play/embellish that melody, but the tone might take a few experiments. Let me know if "plan A" doesn't work out for you, and I'll explore some more. I'm sure we can get close...

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 pm

I guess i like my drums to match up with my air drumming!
-- Marc Blackwell

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Thu May 22, 2008 2:03 pm

May 22, 2008, 4:29pm, marcblack30 wrote:I guess i like my drums to match up with my air drumming! Since you two have mentioned the drum panning perspective thing here, I've been noticing it all over the place. D'Oh!Innocence lost....I need a beer..."Remember when we didn't care about the drum panning rule? Sigh..." Seeing as 85% of my music is returned to me, I'm going to keep my drummer's ear view...I'm the only one enjoying it!