Singer/Songwriter Return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Singer/Songwriter Return

Post by geo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:39 am

Hey guys thought "The Letter" had a shot but I knew it was a long one after hearing Bflat's two great tunes that I think were returned when it was a Dispatch listing. "Our Perfect Place" was also returned but that was far afield genre -wise and a longer shot.My main question is are the mixes "Broadcast Quality"? Trying to get there and the "No Critiques" don't help .....Any other comments welcomed..... thanks, GeoThe Letterhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=1193 ... am=trueOur Perfect Placehttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=107579&stream=true

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Singer/Songwriter Return

Post by davekershaw » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 am

Hi Geo.I'm still tryin' to get that "Broadcast Quality" too.For what it's worth, they sound good to me.Cheers,Dave.

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:39 am

Apr 30, 2008, 9:46am, davekershaw wrote:Hi Geo.I'm still tryin' to get that "Broadcast Quality" too.For what it's worth, they sound good to me.Cheers,Dave.That's the frustrating part, they always sound good to me!! Thanks, Geo

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 am

Apr 30, 2008, 9:39am, geo wrote:Hey guys thought "The Letter" had a shot but I knew it was a long one after hearing Bflat's two great tunes that I think were returned when it was a Dispatch listing. "Our Perfect Place" was also returned but that was far afield genre -wise and a longer shot.My main question is are the mixes "Broadcast Quality"? Trying to get there and the "No Critiques" don't help .....Any other comments welcomed..... thanks, GeoThe Letterhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=1193 ... am=trueOur Perfect Placehttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=1075 ... trueGeoI'm the amateur ears around here so take what I say bearing that in mind but I can't see (hear?) how these wouldn't make the mix grade. Usually they ask for 'broadcast quality' or 'great sounding home recordings'. I think that these tracks are both IM2cO.BTW did you record these on your new(ish) Logic setup? If so, terrific work, man. You're flying ahead!Liam

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Apr 30, 2008, 11:17am, liamkelly wrote:Apr 30, 2008, 9:39am, geo wrote:Hey guys thought "The Letter" had a shot but I knew it was a long one after hearing Bflat's two great tunes that I think were returned when it was a Dispatch listing. "Our Perfect Place" was also returned but that was far afield genre -wise and a longer shot.My main question is are the mixes "Broadcast Quality"? Trying to get there and the "No Critiques" don't help .....Any other comments welcomed..... thanks, GeoThe Letterhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=1193 ... am=trueOur Perfect Placehttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=1075 ... trueGeoI'm the amateur ears around here so take what I say bearing that in mind but I can't see (hear?) how these wouldn't make the mix grade. Usually they ask for 'broadcast quality' or 'great sounding home recordings'. I think that these tracks are both IM2cO.BTW did you record these on your new(ish) Logic setup? If so, terrific work, man. You're flying ahead!LiamThanks Liam, you commented on my first post, almost a year ago...these are my two best production jobs to date, I can talk shop with the sound guy at work and that helps... but mostly practice.... these took 10 & 12 mixes respectively to be done... gotta shorten that time but the Logic is awesome (knocking frantically on my desk).... now if I can sort myself out genre-wise I might get a forward...... GeoNice to have you around again

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Fri May 02, 2008 3:34 am

Apr 30, 2008, 8:32pm, geo wrote:Apr 30, 2008, 11:17am, liamkelly wrote:GeoI'm the amateur ears around here so take what I say bearing that in mind but I can't see (hear?) how these wouldn't make the mix grade. Usually they ask for 'broadcast quality' or 'great sounding home recordings'. I think that these tracks are both IM2cO.BTW did you record these on your new(ish) Logic setup? If so, terrific work, man. You're flying ahead!LiamThanks Liam, you commented on my first post, almost a year ago...these are my two best production jobs to date, I can talk shop with the sound guy at work and that helps... but mostly practice.... these took 10 & 12 mixes respectively to be done... gotta shorten that time but the Logic is awesome (knocking frantically on my desk).... now if I can sort myself out genre-wise I might get a forward...... GeoNice to have you around again GeoHas it been a year already Man, time flies I really think these mixes are over the bar. Great work on them too Wish I could knock those out.... even after 12 mixes .Liam

rmarler

Post by rmarler » Thu May 15, 2008 4:40 am

My unsolicited $.02My first CD I thought I had a great sound. it was my best work and I was proud of it. On my second CD I handed the reigns over to a pro studio with an experienced engineer at the boards and then to a mastering engineer who spent a couple days tweaking. I concentrated on what I did best ,writing and performing. The second CD has an amazing sound. it's full,has great definition, separation between instruments and vocals. I can compete side by side on the radio with other songs in it's genre. the first time I heard it played on my local station, it was sandwiched between The Who and Tom Petty. and did not feel out of place or out classed. My point is, When industry professionals tell you your not quite there maybe you aren't. And that it's not necessarily that your mix isn't good, but that the mix and mastering might not stand up next to what is being played in the your genre in the broadcast community.
Ronnie Records
Journey to the Stars Rock and Roll Guitars