2 Listings Returned Today

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

theneighbors

2 Listings Returned Today

Post by theneighbors » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 am

And I am extremely angry! I submitted 3 songs for each listing and I think I deserved forwards for both of them. I didn't get critiques for either listing so I have no idea what could have possibly been wrong!First:70's-era CLASSIC ROCK SONGS a la Creedence Clearwater, Crosby Stills & Nash, Grateful Dead, Bob Seger, Cream, Whiter Shade of Pale, etc. are needed by an established Music Library in Los Angeles. Great performances are essential. Lyric content is open, but no profanity please. They offer a non-exclusive, 50/50 split deal - you keep your original copyrights. Broadcast quality needed. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than Apr. 11, 2008. TAXI #Y080411RKI sent:Away You're Gonna RunFrom Now OnSomehow SomedayNext:SINGER/SONGWRITER-POP SONGS (Male or Female) are wanted by a well-established Music Supervisor for a cable network TV series. This show tackles the issues and experiences that the families of soldiers might face. Lyrically, the possibilities are broad but you may want to focus on material that talks about long-distance relationships/heartbreak/"missing you"/life vs. death/etc. to stay along the lines of the show concept. They are looking for all tempos, but would like a more "pop" sound sonically. They are definitely open to both male and female vocals for this one. This is a broadcast quality listing, so be sure the recording sounds excellent! Please submit 2-3 songs online or per CD, include lyrics. If you already submitted to D080303SS, you may want to submit different material for this listing. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI - and must be received no later than April 8, 2008. TAXI #Y080408SSI Sent:Somehow SomedayThere Is No DarknessTill Another DayI feel like I got completely ripped off and I want an explanation from Listeners 219 and 269. I also would appreciate comments for this please. I am not being unreasonable. I get lots of returns from Taxi, but I have understood why I didn't get forwarded. This time I am very angry http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=14104

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 2 Listings Returned Today

Post by aimusic » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:52 am

From my experience and from what I've gathered, when it comes to Yes/No critiques, it's sometimes ends up being a rep from the company who has run the listing and this person might not have enough knowledge of how to give a critique, yet they know what type of sound they are going for.Most members have always said that Yes/No listings are deadly in a sense (meaning you look forward to that Forward and get bummed out when it's returned with no explanation) because everyone will think their song (including me a lot of the time) thinks their song is suited for the listing, when it turns out not to be.This is the knowledge I've gathered from the forum, I could be completely wrong, but I hope it kinda makes you understand that with Yes/No listings, there never will be an explanation and the reasoning behind it!Take Care and good luckB

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:05 am

And you'll also find that it's probably best not to submit to those types of listings, if you absolutely must have a critique. It's definitely a roll of the dice my friend, and if you decide to submit to these types of listings, you have ta' be prepared to accept returns with no explanations. On the other hand, if it gets forwarded with no explanation, then you'll be O.K. with that, right? Believe me dude, I know how ya' feel!I-468

theneighbors

Post by theneighbors » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I just felt so good about these listings. It is really disappointing. I won't give up, I'm sure a great opportunity will come soon.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:08 am

Now now...being that you're in Woodland Hills you almost are my "neighbors" so please calm down, nobody likes an angry neighbor .I can't help you with the first listing as those titles don't show on your taximusic site.Two of the ones for the second listing do, so here are my thoughts.- There Is No Darkness: first up, in this day and age you're gonna have a hard time getting a 7 minute plus song forwarded to pretty much any listing I'm afraid. That's just a fact of today's music business. Second, I don't think this song fits the listing very well, it's quite "folky" sounding and they specifically say they want a "more pop sound sonically".Also keep in mind that most listings that don't specifically say otherwise will want contemporary sounding material. James Blunt, John Mayer, KT Tunstall, that type of thing. I also thought the mix on this was a bit rough, with things sticking out in places; and that big long hall reverb on the vocals gives a quite dated sound. And the vocals have quite a few pitchy moments which you'll have a hard time getting away with these days. With broadcast quality listings all of those elements need to be in place...- Till Another Day. The first thing that struck me (and it will be the first thing anybody hears) is the intro which consists of 25 seconds of guitar noodling followed by several seconds of near silence. I make a living writing music for film and tv placements, and I can tell you from my personal experience no music supervisor is going to listen thru that. I know that's brutal but that's the real world for film and tv. They really want you to get to the point or they will feel like you are wasting their time.When the song starts, the music is actually quite good...particularly the chorus I liked quite a bit. I don't think it fits the Pop singer/songwriter request any better than the previous song, but musically I liked it better as a song.The lyrics were too cliche for my taste but in many film/tv applications that's not a huge deal so I'm not gonna comment on them specifically.To me this is clearly not broadcast quality, the snare is far too loud in the mix, and the vocal needs some good compression as it's not sitting right in the mix.Hope this helps you,matto

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 am

Been there, done that! And no, don't give up, but be careful how many tunes you submit all at once, and make certain you interpret the listings as closely as possible. You're not always gonna' get a HOMERUN, even when you think you should've. It's possible something else may have caused your tunes not ta' get forwarded. I can't really say.I-468PS -- matto will usually get right to the point, and clear things up for you. He doesn't pull any punches, and he'll give it to ya' straight!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 am

Hi - I agree with Matto, there are some issues with both tunes that are available for a listen. Don't feel bad! This stuff isn't easy, and it's hard to be emotionally detached from our work. Matt gave you some great insights into what you could rework to take these tunes to the next level. Hang in there and don't be discouraged.Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 am

Wanted to check out your 70's era ala Creedence stuf but it's not on your page.

theneighbors

Post by theneighbors » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:08 pm

Apr 29, 2008, 2:58pm, billg wrote:Wanted to check out your 70's era ala Creedence stuf but it's not on your page.Woah, they showed up for me, but they weren't checked off as public. I think I fixed them, they should work now.PS: Thanks for all of the comments, The Neighbors have recorded anything for many years because one of us lives in Northern California, one of us in Southern California, and one of us in Colorado. We know the stuff isn't perfect, but we plan on getting together for a while this Summer to re-record some of our stuff. Once again, I appreciate all of the comments.

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Know what I appreciate? Your positive attitude. Seriously.What started out as looking like it could easily have been another angry argumentative thread has instead gone down a very supportive and positive path. Thank you, Neighbors!aimusic, ibanez468, matto and hummingbird - thank you too for always having constructive things to say.Kathleen