What does Traditional Lyrics Mean?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

timwelchtwo

What does Traditional Lyrics Mean?

Post by timwelchtwo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:27 am

I recieved this critique and I don't understand how to learn from it. By traditional lyrics and vocals did they mean I didn't sound like a young enough like The Killers and Fall Out Boy or were they talking about the subject material for the lyrics? I am utterly confused. Anyone who can help me clarify this critique is the bomb, thanks so much. I also have links for the songs just copy and paste them in your address bar, I couldn't ge the hyperlink to work right.http://www.taximusic.com:8888/t/timwelc ... 22.mp3here was the listing. S080318ARALTERNATIVE/MODERN ROCK ARTISTS a la White Stripes, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Panic! At The Disco, the Killers, etc. are sought by President of a prominent Music Library/Publishing Company with extensive film and TV Placements. He's not just looking for someone with one great song -- he wants artists with numerous placeable tracks so he can pitch them [songs & as an artist] to various film/TV/commercial projects. Catchy hooks & melodies and smart/clever lyrics are all essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Mar. 18, 2008. TAXI # S080318ARhere is what the screener saidName Timothy Welch II Listing # S080318AR Title: Hurt Like Hell N/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music 7 Lyrics 8 Marketability 7 Arrangement 8 Production 7 Engineering 7 Musicianship 8 Lead Vocal 8There is a sonic punch that comes into this track early on that offers a nice edge to the arrangement and tries to move the track towards the Alternative and Modern Rock request of the listing, Timothy. The vocals and the lyrics take the song into a more traditional vibe. Though deal with a younger subject, that youthfulness and contemporary feeling never translates to the songs make up. Status: Forward Return Title: Explode N/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music 7 Lyrics 7 Marketability 7 Arrangement 6 Production 6 Engineering 6 Musicianship 7 Lead Vocal 6This track comes through with effected vocals that travel throughout the track. You may want to bring in those effects in shorter bursts, Timothy, so that the use will be more for effect and not become the norm. The overall feel and form of the song still leans towards a more classic make-up due to the vocals and the lyric content. Status: Forward Return Style Not Close enough to the listingRock with a classic sensibility due to vocals and lyricsOverall CommentsYour songs are very nicely crafted and delivered, Timothy. For this listing, the innovation needed to bring you into the Alternative and Modern Rock arena is present. That style forms in the arrangements of your songs very nicely. In the lyric content and the delivery of the message, the songs still maintain too much of a more traditional feel and form for that style to take hold as can be heard in the music of artists such as White Stripes, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Panic! At The Disco and the Killers.The main reason(s) you were or were not forwarded for this listing is:Songs are innovative. The make up of the song never moves into the Alternative and Modern Rock area inhabited by the bands used as reference such as White Stripes, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Panic! At The Disco and the Killers.If you can help me clarify this I would appreciate it? Do taxi screeners ever comment on stuff like this in the forums? I'll pay another 5 bucks if you will help!!lol Thanks,Tim

momof4
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What does Traditional Lyrics Mean?

Post by momof4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:21 am

So to me, it seems like the screener is saying you're not "alternative" enough. Maybe your songs, though good, are more "traditional" (what's been done a lot in the past) rock songs and not "edgy" or boundary-defying enough for today's youth rock market. Does that make sense? Erin

timwelchtwo

Re: What does Traditional Lyrics Mean?

Post by timwelchtwo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and I think you are probably right on the money with you comment. I guess I am wondering in what way it was not like these bands and not egdy enough. Does Traditional mean that these songs sounded too 1999, 1989, 1979, 1969? Did I sound to vocally mature or too adult like in my delivery? Although I am a newbie, I did actually research these bands and try to write something close to how I thought they sounded yet still original. I want to sharpen my ears so that I know how to get closer to sounding like their stuff because there are so many listings looking for music likeThe killers Fallout Boy etc. Should I find some kid to record my vocals are write only about horny teenagers? Just kidding....well not really if it would get a song forwarded! THanks so much again for taking the time to respond. Sometimes these critiques get tough to know what to do next but that is of course the nature of this beast called Taxi.Tim