I'm confused...(what else is knew?)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

I'm confused...(what else is knew?)

Post by brindabella » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:09 pm

I submitted this piece for Children's music and I'm a little confused . Not because I disagree with the screener at all,I know the arrangement is thin, probably because Im scared of the Instruments sounds and I try to hide them.A range of great CHILDREN'S MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. This company ran numerous TAXI listings in 2006 (and signed many TAXI songs) and is now in need of more great material as their service has become very much in demand. Style-wise, they are seeking many different moods, from fast-paced fun songs to slow and sleepy songs. They don't want tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated - authenticity and great performances are the keys. Both instrumentals with lead melody lines and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK - they want both. All tempos are OK. Track length should be in the 1:00 - 3:00 range. At this point they work mostly with prominent U.K. TV channels such as the BBC and ITV, but also supply music to other production companies that broadcast worldwide. They offer non-exclusive, 50/50 deals. Broadcast quality needed [great sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Jan. 2, 2008. TAXI # S080102CHHere's what the screener said:Within the wide range of children's music instrumentals requested by the listing. You've got a good start on a strong lullaby track here. This listing requested broadcast quality tracks. I think you're headed in the right direction but this could be strengthened to bring it up to that level. The arrangement seems a little thin. How about bringing the harp sound up in the mix to add more support for your lead bell sound. The lead bell sound seems to lack sustain on some notes where it seems like it ought to be held out, especially the final note on your opening descending phrases. How about using a rich synth pad to add depth to the track and give your lead line a backdrop to work against.Arrangement could be fuller. Mix could be better balanced. See my overall comments for more on this. Arrangement is not broadcast quality as requested by the listing. I agree that using a Synth pad would make it sound better, but this listing said "No midi generated, etc."My question is: Could you use a Synth pad and yet not sound "synthi" ?Here's the track:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... 2&stream=1
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I'm confused...(what else is knew?)

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:51 pm

brinda,Hard to call it. I'll bet had you used a synth pad, it would've been returned because it sounds too "synth" generated, or "too MIDI sounding". Now, you try and keep away from these things, and then all of a sudden, it's suggested. Back 'n' forth and back n forth. I don't know, let's take a listen to the piece in question here.ibanez468

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Brinda,Honestly, I wouldn't have used a synth pad for this. I would've used EWQL for this, no doubt. I can hear a pad being in there, but when is it appropriate, and when is it not? Had you run the risk of putting one in there, it still might not have cut it. Strings would've been better & safer, IMO. But I realize you're still tryin' to get that all together. Maybe make 2 versions. One with a "rich synth pad", and one with EWQL's string section. There's just no satisfying some folks. This lister can be a tough one to crack, and everything has to be just right, to get forwarded.ibanez468

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Quote:I agree that using a Synth pad would make it sound better, but this listing said "No midi generated, etc."My question is: Could you use a Synth pad and yet not sound "synthi" ?Here's the track:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... m=1Hi,Nice track and it's one of those where once you get more comfortable with experimenting and using different sounds that it'll be good for forwards. The "synthy" thing for the most part really only applies to "real" instruments. Mostly it's about the sound itself but many times it's also about how you use the sounds. Even with a nice virtual instrument like EWQL Silver, it's easy to create a "synthy" sound if you try to play orchestral instruments like a piano. Here's two short snippets, both done with EWQL Silver...Synthy soundwww.DaveWaltonMusic.com/PrivateArea/Fanfare-Ick.mp3More realistic soundwww.DaveWaltonMusic.com/PrivateArea/Fanfare-OK.mp3Synth pads don't have a "realistic" counterpart like orchestra instrument do so there's no "synthy" sound (unless it's from a Casio or something).I think that some nice glassy pads along with some airy pads combined with some of the orchestral stuff might work well, at least until you get the hang of doing orchestral stuff by itself. Pads fill up space pretty easily and sometimes a little orchestral with a pad or two is better than a thin sounding orchestral by itself. Experiment a little with different things and post a few variations for feedback. HTH,Dave

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Good examples Dave.ibanez468

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Dave is making some good points...the listing says they don't want "tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated"...meaning no stiff, overquantized, or cheesy "general midi orchestra" sounding tracks. It doesn't mean you can't use any synth sounds...remember there were synths before MIDI Btw the "no cheesy MIDI sounding material" directive is pretty much true for all library listings, regardless of wether they specifically mention it.Btw, Brindabella, I think the composition is great and has lots of potential. But I would agree it should be fleshed out a bit more...a synth pad would work, but strings would definitely work as well. Or maybe both...a pad to bolster the melody, and strings to provide fullness and a bit of counterpoint. Maybe they would come in a ways into the piece, to provide some added interest.

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:08 am

Thank you all for your help! I'll go back to the drawing board and will see what I come with. That is,when my strings stop sounding like accordions. Excellent examples, Dave! Love the files names, too. True! There were synths before mid, forgot that! Thank you guys!!!
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz