Taxi Critiques VS the Real World don't Match.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ej

Taxi Critiques VS the Real World don't Match.

Post by ej » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:33 am

The taxi reviews for my songs have been decent but not one forword. One song got all 8s... all songs get great words for reviews but no forwords. I am very disappointed in Taxi, considering I waited 5 years to join. I doubt I will be a member next year... taxi is not going to get me where I need to go.The same song getting such differing opinions from reviewers... somehow, this feels more like a money grab than a forwarding service. The only thing the reviewers have in common is (R)The real world loves my music... the people resonate to my lyrics and tell me that my stuff is better than anything on the radio for the most part. My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi.If I did not know so much better, it would affect my self esteem but I do not think the problem is with my music. There is something funny about this site. I will put my promotion efforts elsewhere, I have no faith in Taxi anymore. I have more songs up for review, but I already know what they will say. Rewrite, re-record them... NOT. I am on to my next CD. I am a songwriter and will go where I am acknowledged and respected for what I do.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Taxi Critiques VS the Real World don't Match.

Post by hummingbird » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 am

Quote:The taxi reviews for my songs have been decent but not one forword. One song got all 8s... all songs get great words for reviews but no forwords. I am very disappointed in Taxi, considering I waited 5 years to join. I doubt I will be a member next year... taxi is not going to get me where I need to go.The same song getting such differing opinions from reviewers... somehow, this feels more like a money grab than a forwarding service. The only thing the reviewers have in common is (R)The real world loves my music... the people resonate to my lyrics and tell me that my stuff is better than anything on the radio for the most part. My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi.If I did not know so much better, it would affect my self esteem but I do not think the problem is with my music. There is something funny about this site. I will put my promotion efforts elsewhere, I have no faith in Taxi anymore. I have more songs up for review, but I already know what they will say. Rewrite, re-record them... NOT. I am on to my next CD. I am a songwriter and will go where I am acknowledged and respected for what I do.can you post, for each song you are talking about:- the listing- the entire critique- a link to the submitted songYou just joined Taxi in September. How many submissions have you made?thanksHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:14 am

Quote:The taxi reviews for my songs have been decent but not one forword. One song got all 8s... all songs get great words for reviews but no forwords. I am very disappointed in Taxi, considering I waited 5 years to join. I doubt I will be a member next year... taxi is not going to get me where I need to go.The same song getting such differing opinions from reviewers... somehow, this feels more like a money grab than a forwarding service. The only thing the reviewers have in common is (R)The real world loves my music... the people resonate to my lyrics and tell me that my stuff is better than anything on the radio for the most part. My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi.If I did not know so much better, it would affect my self esteem but I do not think the problem is with my music. There is something funny about this site. I will put my promotion efforts elsewhere, I have no faith in Taxi anymore. I have more songs up for review, but I already know what they will say. Rewrite, re-record them... NOT. I am on to my next CD. I am a songwriter and will go where I am acknowledged and respected for what I do.Like many who come and go, you're missing one crucial, important piece of information. To get forwarded (much less getting a deal) your song has to be good AND it has to hit the target of the listing - what the listing party is looking for. The greatest Country song in the world will never get forwarded for a Rock listing. I'm not saying you're missing the target by that much but if you're getting 8's and good comments, then the reason for the returns is that the listing party is looking for something other than what you're "selling".If you patrol the threads here on the forum you'll see LOTS of deals as a direct result of Taxi, not to mention forwards. We don't get those as a result of the incompetence of screeners (they return yours while forwarding ours). If there's a money grab going on, it's the people getting the deals. If it doesn't work out for you for whatever reason, saying that it's because Taxi is a scam doesn't do you any good as far as finding out what your music needs to find a home.Taxi or no Taxi, keeping an open mind when you get feedback from any industry professional who makes their living doing what you are still aspiring to do is much more condusive to success than concluding that your music is "there" and that the only work left to be done is to just find someone that agrees with you.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:07 am

Without hearing your songs while reading the listing and knowing a little more about where you want to go in your career, it's pretty hard to address your diatribe against TAXI. My guess from what you have written is that you are pitching yourself in the "real" world as an artist which means that you are trying to forge a unique voice and style rather than trying to be a professional songwriter in the "unreal" world of Film/TV. In the Film/TV world (which seems to be a large percentage of TAXI listings), if the client needs a song about grapes and you submit the world's greatest song about bananas, you won't get the gig. That's the way it works. You could get all 10s and still not get forwarded. if you're not going to re-write your song to accomodate grapes, you'll have to wait for some client to request songs about bananas and submit that one again. That's the "real" world. TAXI hasn't thrived by blowing smoke up people's you know what and telling them they're great when they're not, they've thrived by passing along great TARGETED music to a growing list of high-bar clients. Most here will recommend TAXI in combination with other promotional avenues, which it sounds like you are doing anyway. How about sharing some of your goals and music with this supportive community and maybe we can give some feedback to help you get where you want to go.Peace,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:28 am

Quote:The taxi reviews for my songs have been decent but not one forward. One song got all 8s... all songs get great words for reviews but no forwards. I am very disappointed in Taxi, considering I waited 5 years to join. I doubt I will be a member next year... taxi is not going to get me where I need to go.The same song getting such differing opinions from reviewers... somehow, this feels more like a money grab than a forwarding service. The only thing the reviewers have in common is (R)The real world loves my music... the people resonate to my lyrics and tell me that my stuff is better than anything on the radio for the most part. My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi.If I did not know so much better, it would affect my self esteem but I do not think the problem is with my music. There is something funny about this site. I will put my promotion efforts elsewhere, I have no faith in Taxi anymore. I have more songs up for review, but I already know what they will say. Rewrite, re-record them... NOT. I am on to my next CD. I am a songwriter and will go where I am acknowledged and respected for what I do.HiThe important thing here is to define what you mean by "real world". Being well accepted playing gigs or getting great feedback from family, friends, and even other musicians doesn't always mean your music will work for a particular artist or film/TV opp... If you said you were getting great feedback or contract offers from A&R folks, music libraries, or film/TV music supervisors on your own, that would equate more with the "real world" loving your music. If that was the case and you are more successful with those types of folks outside of TAXI.... well, you have your answer. I have a feeling it is not the case, however.Most of the time when people get very high scores on their submissions but no forward it's either because the song doesn't fit the listing requirements or the listing is so high-bar (such as a Nashville country artist pitch) that the smallest issue-- maybe 1-2 lyrics lines, for example, is the limiting factor.You should post a link to a song, lyrics, and an entire critique to get some assistance from folks here. There's a pretty good crowd here that will comment on your songs, tough but honest and fair... And we don't ALWAYS agree with the screener, just most of the time....Good luck! Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:38 am

Quote:The real world loves my music... the people resonate to my lyrics and tell me that my stuff is better than anything on the radio for the most part.If the "real world" loved your music as much as you claim they do, people would be standing in line to buy your CD, you'd be making tons of money and wouldn't need to join Taxi.People may tell you they love your music, they may vote for your songs online etc, but unless they're willing to part with their hard earned cash to buy your CD, how much do they really love it?By contrast, ALL of the companies who place listings with Taxi are in the business of making money with music. They want Taxi to forward the kind of music that the screeners are convinced can make those companies money. What exactly that means varies from listing to listing, depending on the company who placed it. If the screener doesn't hear obvious commercial potential relative to the specific requirements of the listing you submitted to, your songs will not be forwarded.If you're content to perform in your area and comfort zone, and satisfied to bask in the adoration of your little corner of the "real world", then more power to you. But if you want to compete on the national or international stage, sell your music on a large scale and make a living off of it, you better be prepared to face the actual REAL WORLD of the music industry which Taxi deals with on a daily basis.Best of luck to you!matto

tacksea007
Active
Active

Post by tacksea007 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:38 am

Hey EJ-My name is Sebastian and I'm the head screener at TAXI. I can see that your frustrated and I would like the opportunity to talk over this with you. If you'd like, there is an open invitation to call me at 800 458-2111 anytime.As far as TAXI trying to grab money from our members, I find an error in your logic. If we were to forward more people we could build a false sense of hope and in doing so could easily keep members around believing something that isn't true. If you're scoring 8's across the board there might be a simple remedy to you getting forwarded. This is all very hard to say without hearing your tunes, and reading the critiques. I think that TAXI is on par with your fans as far as the scores that you've been receiving. Let's get to the bottom of this...Best,-S

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Post by clonsberry » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 am

Quote:My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi.Hey ej,Sorry to hear you're disappointed. I'm a somewhat newbie with Taxi too. I can very much appreciate how you feel. I can't speak to your specific situation because I don't know where you're coming from or what you sound like.. but let me share just a moment.I could've written your post. I've been writing and playing for decades. I've got several CDs out of various types of music. People loved what I did. I've played on a regular basis in front of 600+ people (which, I'm sure is nothing to a lot of people here but it's still not an empty room at the Ramada). Been on TV, radio. I'm still playing music in satellite stations. Royalties trickling in.My initial dip in the songwriting pool is now an embarrassment for me and I'm glad it never made it anywhere significant. But I've been told the whole time that people loved my songs. I don't doubt that. There's a lot of music out there that people love and plays on the radio that I think is pretty horrible... some is lifeless, some doesn't say anything at all, doesn't rhyme in all the wrong places.. but people listen and buy it. There are a lot of reasons this music works. People already love the artist.. album cuts, etc. Obviously, artists can record whatever they want and may get a hit out of it riding on the popularity of the artist. Live performance is a whole different area because it's a different energy, significantly more visual, etc. But none of these make them GREAT songs by default.I submitted some of my best newer tracks. These were going to pale anything else I had done. These were solid. These were also rejected without a second thought. And the things that the screeners said were, for the most part, dead on and even obvious to me once someone had pointed it out. But how can this be? People loved these songs. Well, these songs may have gone somewhere. Could I have signed on to some little indie label somewhere and cashed my $100 checks every couple of months? Maybe. Probably not. There's too much good music out there to be competitive with a mediocre product.While the Taxi screeners have sometimes been cryptic, from my perspective, and have done little to stroke my needy ego, they have been polite, supportive and almost always painfully accurate. (As a side note on screeners being cryptic, I don't know how many times I've come on the forum and typed out a complaint about a critique and, in the process of posting the critique into the posting, reread what they wrote and could see what they're saying. I guess that's part of the process of distancing yourself from the music to be objective).At the same time, I've been reading. A lot! If your critiques have suggested reading material, let me re-suggest it. For me, it's been priceless and I'm blown away by how much I've learned. I understand how people can like my old stuff and get no traction from Taxi. Why certain material is good in one venue or situation and doesn't work in another. Oh.. and I still have more to learn.The songs I've gone back and redone are stronger, leaner and meaner. The songs I'm doing now are starting with a better foundation to begin with.From my perspective, in the real world, I'm out there competing with the big boys (and girls). Someday, I'm going to be out there competing for a single spot with Dave or Vikki or Steve.. or maybe even the mighty Matto. They do amazing work. It's a different league than I was in before so I get frustrated sometimes when I'm not hitting the mark (or getting close). But.. it's a different league than I was in... and there's truth that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm going to keep figuring it out until I get there and Taxi, along with my own quest to learn my craft and the people here, have helped immensely.It would be interesting for you to post some of your music.Taxi isn't for everyone. That much we know. But if the reason for your frustration and disappointment is what you said it is, there may be some very good reasons for it. Maybe not. Either way, I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you make decisions based on frustration. (a good friend of mine once said, "everytime I make a decision out of frustration, it always turns out poorly"). Just something to think about.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:50 am

Quote:My question is, how can the real people who listen to my CD and see me perform live love it... professional musicians love it... local producers love it, basically everyone loves it except Taxi. Applause is a distracting addiction, unworthy of your focus. (I made that up, trying to be deep) Unfortunately, Taxi can't be in business to love, your music enough, to present it to uninterested parties. Your recordings will either a) fit they opportunities Taxi has available, b) or not. You can learn quickly, where, how & if, you fit in. There are sooo many opportunities. Tons of them. Taxi IS an extremely effective way to LEARN REALLY FAST, and cost-effectively. Almost anything you need to understand about how to polish, fix, discuss, or pitch your style of music is available to you. The faster you assimilate new knowledge and techniques, the faster you go.

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 am

Hey ej, geo here, welcome to the madness, and I suggest you stay around. First off don't let my "full member" status fool you into thinking I'm this successful member coming to the defense of the realm, that just means I've become an active member on the boards because in conjunction with the screeners that is the best way to grow and improve your music. The trick of it (for me anyway) is to look beyond the (R) ( let a week or so pass and then reread the critique)and try to understand what the screener is trying to say (sometimes they are not totally clear) and also understand the listing (for example, as has been recently pointed out to me, Nashville/country listing require nothing but the best, production/songwriting/vocals while TV/movie require crystal clear production, but the song may not have to be in the top ten hit category) . If you take a glance at my "3 more on the return pile" string you will see what I mean (have a listen to my songs and drop a comment while you're there as well ). My return pile is growing so rapidly that when I finally did get a forward I didn't even notice it at first (but wow what a feeling when I did!!). The one thing the successful members (I don't include myself here) have in common is a large pile of returns because it's a learning curve, you gotta ride it.Take Sebastian up on his offer he was very helpful in answering my email, helping me understand exactly where my listing fell short. In fact all the Taxi staff have been very understanding when contacted.I think what I'm trying to say is Taxi holds us to industry standards which unfortunately have risen due to the fact that every Joe with a computer can pump out decent sounding demos so there has to be a system to separate the chafe from the wheat. I'll be one of the last people to say that this a perfect system but to me Taxi is best option I've come across because even if you leave you're going to have to deal with the same standards but instead of getting a critique to tell you where you need to improve you might just get an entry in the dreaded "round file".So post some tunes, let's have a listen, listen and comment on some other member's tunes and hang in there... Geo