Taxi Critiques VS the Real World don't Match.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Taxi Critiques VS the Real World don't Match.

Post by geo » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 am

Quote:[quote author=ej board=complaints thread=1192807988 post=1192807988]You should post a link to a song, lyrics, and an entire critique to get some assistance from folks here. There's a pretty good crowd here that will comment on your songs, tough but honest and fair... And we don't ALWAYS agree with the screener, just most of the time....Good luck! CaseyYou're not kidding there Casey ... Geo

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:02 am

I not only echo the sentiments of everyone that has responded but yours as well EJ. As someone else said, I could have written that post. My advice is to take taxi for what it is, don't let it change your life, but do use it to improve your songwriting. You may even make some connections along the way. Good luck, and remember that just about anyone who has ever joined probably felt the exact same way in the beginning. And not to be a smart aleck here, but as someone else may have already pointed out, if all these people love your music, why do you even need Taxi?

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:43 am

As others have said, I feel your pain here EJ. My two cents worth is that comparing performing live and submitting to Taxi are like comparing apples to cumquats. When you perform live, you get to sell the song with your presence, and make a personal connection with the audience. When you send in a song for a blind critique, it has to stand on its own, AND match what the listing AND what the reviewer are looking for. I just heard an interview with KT Tunstall the other day and she mentioned how often she was turned down before a label took a chance with her and now I see her name in multiple Taxi listings as someone to aspire to sounding like. In other words, if you are getting such great feedback from everyone you encounter, you don't really need Taxi. You can create a local following, get your own buzz machine going and soon we'll be seeing your name on Taxi listings. If, on the other hand, you want success submitting music Taxi-style, you'll have to be willing to modify the rules you're playing by.Best of luck--

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:53 am

I side with complaints alot because i think Taxi has stopped trying to improve and is happy with its current system BUT, if you don't come back to defend yourself then you probably did not have a lagit complaint.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Quote:I side with complaints alot because i think Taxi has stopped trying to improve and is happy with its current system BUT, if you don't come back to defend yourself then you probably did not have a lagit complaint.Did I mention my New Year's Resolution yet Aub

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Quote:Quote:I side with complaints alot because i think Taxi has stopped trying to improve and is happy with its current system BUT, if you don't come back to defend yourself then you probably did not have a lagit complaint.Did I mention my New Year's Resolution yet AubHappy new year!I don't attack you personally, so why do you attack me? Or are you? I hope not. You don't know me.Lets try to stick to the topic. ok?

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Quote:Quote:Did I mention my New Year's Resolution yet AubHappy new year!I don't attack you personally, so why do you attack me? Or are you? I hope not. You don't know me.Lets try to stick to the topic. ok?I'm certainly not attacking you. Just having a bit of fun. So what topic would you like to stick to? So far, because of my recent resolution... we would have little to talk about.Aub

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Quote:Quote:Happy new year!I don't attack you personally, so why do you attack me? Or are you? I hope not. You don't know me.Lets try to stick to the topic. ok?I'm certainly not attacking you. Just having a bit of fun. So what topic would you like to stick to? So far, because of my recent resolution... we would have little to talk about.AubThe topic can be found in the first post.I would like to see the critique that ej got.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:46 am

Quote:I side with complaints alot because i think Taxi has stopped trying to improve and is happy with its current system BUT, if you don't come back to defend yourself then you probably did not have a lagit complaint....well, and if you don't tell us WHAT and WHERE exactly you think that taxi does not improve, than probably you don't have a legit complaint.taxi did and continue to do A LOT of things for their members (road rally, these boards, still the same fees (except for custom critiques) since taxi is founded, etc), so what are you talking about?honestly, I wouldn't be where I am right now without taxi, so reading such a statement as you makes me scratching my head...cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Sometimes you get a "sound," sometimes you don't. Sometimes you record a song and there is no special sound in it. Other times you acheive even more than you had in mind. Why? Because you got a sound to go along with the demo.Does your demo sound good enough to buckle knees? Did you get a sound? Or did you just record a demo? The song is all there but where is the sound that will buckle knees?I was listening to a Motwon song at the sandwich shop the other day. I don't even remember the name. The low tom-tom was doing a single strike on four throughout the song. It was such a great sound I just stopped eating.In the day and age of Daw's where Ma and Pa kettle can make nearly perfect demos, to just record a demo is usually not enough anymore. You have to get some special sounds.No, it is not just. But it is not exactly easy to pick out a great song which is done poorly, when the song is surrounded by perfectly recorded demos of good songs.Do you think the screeners are gods? Do you trust them or anyone else to find every good apple in the barrel of rotten ones? Do not put that much faith in anyone. Make your stuff irresistible by finding irresistible sounds.This is not even necessarily at EJ, since he is getting good scores and may have some excellent sounds. It is just philosophy and applies for all of us.