Dare I ask for a reason?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Dare I ask for a reason?

Post by mazz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:31 am

Hi Kathleen,Great piece! Very appropriate stylistically.I can't say why it wasn't forwarded but I can give my feelings on the piece. I think it would be worth re-playing a bit slower and with a bit more variation in tempo. It sounds a bit mechanical. The straight feel is fine because with ragtime the syncopation is what drives it and you've got that but the unrelenting evenness makes it sound a bit computerized.It's a very good piece and it's worth some more time humanizing it, I think with a few tweaks,you could place this a lot.My non-screener opinion, of course!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm hearing "too mechanical" more often than can be coincidence. So I will take this back to the studio and work it a little more.Onward and upward!Kathleen

tacksea007
Active
Active

Post by tacksea007 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Hey Kathleen-Sebastian head screener at TAXI here. I listened to your track and agree with you. I will have this re screened by a woman who works at the company who is running this listing. It will take a few days because of the holidays. Cheers.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:30 pm

OK, see? This place is the coolest.Good luck, my Queen. Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Quote:While I appreciate Taxi's customer service, I feel it's not appropriate to be calling to ask why music was returned. If everyone did that they might as well have no Y/N listings.JMHOGreat suggestion, Vikki! I second your "motion" and request that non-critiqued listings at least include a very brief description of why a submission was returned.Even a simple "Production lacking" or "Style off the mark" would be very helpful to us, but would we be so quick to include that it shouldn't make Dispatch listings any harder for TAXI to offer as a service.André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Quote:Quote:While I appreciate Taxi's customer service, I feel it's not appropriate to be calling to ask why music was returned. If everyone did that they might as well have no Y/N listings.JMHOGreat suggestion, Vikki! I second your "motion" and request that non-critiqued listings at least include a very brief description of why a submission was returned.Even a simple "Production lacking" or "Style off the mark" would be very helpful to us, but would we be so quick to include that it shouldn't make Dispatch listings any harder for TAXI to offer as a service.André We discussed this possibility on the board some time ago.... I know sometimes suggestions posted on the board may have tried in the past & not worked out, or perhaps there are some difficulties that make it too difficult at the present time. I would love to have a check box with some options on Y/N listings: main reason not forwarded... 'not on target'; 'production needs work'; 'composition needs work'; etc. In that way Taxi would continue in its educational role of helping us improve our submissions and improve our ability to target submissions effectively. OTOH, if it creates more work for the screeners or customer service staff (what do you mean my production sucks on this, are you kidding)...
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jamkern
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jamkern » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:44 pm

YES!!! a little -tiny-tad-bit of info on the Y/N listings would be great.....my circumstances have me mainly submitting to the Y/N listings and it's impossible to know where I'm going wrong (without stirring up the boards with my whining) AND this is info we really need to know. C'mon Taxi, how bout a little check box for Xmas????

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:34 am

Here's where my understanding isn't at its best....I thought the dispatch listings were screened by the lister. At any rate, it would be helpful to know why we missed the dispatch mark (and I agree with vikki, production comments.....grrrrr ).

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:07 am

Wouldn't everyone have to be OK if those little checked-box replies were ONLY offered as simple cut and paste statements, like: "Off-target"..."production values"..."instrumentation"..."song structure"...or the like?It seems to me we'd have to settle for that little info (which would also/STILL make me want to ask further questions), otherwise we're basically asking the screeners for (subliminal) mini-critiques without actually coming out and asking. I realize the only reason TAXI screeners even exist is to pamper us and make our every wish come true (and it's clear to me they have nothing ELSE to do), but I'm not sure that's the way to go, either. TedDISCLAIMER: That last paragraph was a JOKE. A little holiday BREVITY, son. That was SAH-CASM, boy. (Like trying to light a fire with a wet match...)
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:26 am

Quote:...I thought the dispatch listings were screened by the lister.Hi Squids-I don't think this is the case unless it's specifically stated in the listing....but I could be wrong.André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.