A 1970s Return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Re: A 1970s Return

Post by paults » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Feel free to hijack anty thread I start Thanks for the suggestions - this one will get reworked when something appropriate comes along.ddusty - I'll listen to the obvious inspiration of this one again, when it comes time to mix it.jude3- thanks for the compliment on period-correctness, too!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Quote:Quote:he needs material that sounds like it was lifted straight out of the 1970s. This is why you didn't get the forward. The song itself had all the necessary 70 stylings, but the recording was too modern sounding. Assuming that this track was effectively composed & the sounds had the "necessary 70 stylings"... I was wondering, how has production changed in the last 30 years. Technology has come a long way. What specific things would be evident in a "lifted from the 70s" track that are absent here? Use of reverb might one - any others?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:59 am

Ha ha, Vikki, you truly have a way with words! you are 100% correct, I should have given examples of ways to improve the track. (and thanks for reminding me of that nicely, I would have yelled at me )I assumed (and we all know what happens then) that some others who are much better at engineering would have chimed in on this.Here are my .02:The guitar sounds like one of those line 6 pods plugged straight into the mixer. That can sound great in modern recording, but it doesn't have the sound of a mic'd Marshall. Short of buying a Les Paul and a Marshall stack, I would try to get a less compressed sound, and probably add reverb. It's the rhythm tracks more then the lead IMO. (although the double lead tends to lean more '80's then 70's to me. sounds like early scorpions)Second is the drums, More of a big roomy sound. (will adding reverb emulate that?) I am new to programming drums, but in EZDrummer, you can boost the overhead mic's to give it more of a room feel, I would also add attack to the drums, make them sound like someone is really hitting them. This is a rocking track, and a 70's drummer would be breaking sticks while crushing the drums. (I know ezdrummer has a knob for this, not sure how it's normally done)Not sure if this helps at all. Rob

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:50 am

Rob,Thanks for the suggestions! This one will get retooled when a likely opportunity for it comes along.