An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Re: An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Quote: So,to put it in a nutshell.....the harder matto work's....the luckier he gets........No. Because he has contacts that know him now.But it won't take but a little shuffling around is his circle to send him back to the drawing board.I've been high up in this business. I know.I'm not a beginner to this.And I don't rely on Taxi for my main source of music income of course.If it does become that I will never leave all my eggs there. Niether should matto and I bet he knows that.I bet matto does not think he can retire doing this. It's like being in pro sports. You have your time and then your time ends. IF you're lucky enough to get there. Only in pro sports there is way more skill invloved in getting you there.Some of the screeners are great examples of what I am talking about.many of them had major hits and don't make money anymore.Why is that?Did their skill suddenly go away? They are still pitching songs!!!One couple that screens for Taxi writes books on how to write songs but teaches school for a living after having many major hits.If it was not mostly luck then these people would still be making a living doing music.I am not trying to be mean. If I can be proven wrong then i'm open. Trust me, I want to be wrong about this.

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Quote:Quote: So,to put it in a nutshell.....the harder matto work's....the luckier he gets........No. Because he has contacts that know him now.But it won't take but a little shuffling around is his circle to send him back to the drawing board.I've been high up in this business. I know.I'm not a beginner to this.And I don't rely on Taxi for my main source of music income of course.If it does become that I will never leave all my eggs there. Neither should matto and I bet he knows that.I bet matto does not think he can retire doing this. It's like being in pro sports. You have your time and then your time ends. IF you're lucky enough to get there. Only in pro sports there is way more skill invloved in getting you there.Some of the screeners are great examples of what I am talking about.many of them had major hits and don't make money anymore.Why is that?Did their skill suddenly go away? They are still pitching songs!!!One couple that screens for Taxi writes books on how to write songs but teaches school for a living after having many major hits.If it was not mostly luck then these people would still be making a living doing music.I am not trying to be mean. If I can be proven wrong then i'm open. Trust me, I want to be wrong about this.I would think a lot of people here know in their heart of hearts they haven't got a cat in hells chance of achieving the level of success that matto has achieved.However,there is a saying that goes something like,'it is better to travel hopefully than arrive' and you are taking away peoples hope.We are not deluded with wild expectations we just enjoy the process of making music and work toward the prospect that somebody might appreciate our efforts enough to use them in a commercial sense.Jude,you really are casting a dark and menacing shadow over a group of folks that are just having a bit of fun.Maybe you should have a re-think about the effect you might be having on people.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Quote: I would think a lot of people here know in their heart of hearts they haven't got a cat in hells chance of achieving the level of success that matto has achieved.However,there is a saying that goes something like,'it is better to travel hopefully than arrive' and you are taking away peoples hope.So then you too think it is a crap shoot.Don't blame me for taking away hope when you too agree.Hey, there are people who have a good time gambling.Let us gamble reponsibly though shall we.I agree we can have a good time doing it. I love music and hope that all that do what we do love it too so that the time is not a waste.But be advised from some one who has major credits in this business that you better undestand what you are in or else you can get hurt.THAT, my freind, is helping people NOT hurting them!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:26 pm

"But be advised from some one who has major credits in this business that you better undestand what you are in or else you can get hurt."Sorry, can't agree with that view at all. The music industry isn't focussed on putting you down or 'hurting' you. It has a myopic view that's focussed on marketing & therefore it wants what sells. If you want to be commercially successful, then you work within those guidelines. No one's holding a gun to your head. You can make music in your backyard for the joy of doing it. And/or you can look at the standards & expectations of the market and work hard to meet them.I come from a different perspective - I prefer to see the glass as 3/4 full, not 3/4 empty. I prefer to see my life as a process, and my work as an artist as a process. I'm a better writer & producer today than I was even one year ago. I have more signed deals today than I had one year ago. I have written & produced more music in the past year than I have in all the other years I've lived. What's more, I made more friends, and more connections, in the world of music than I had before. That's all it's really about. Making deals & getting placements is the icing on the cake, not the reason I do it. I do it because being in the music is like breathing to me. So being in the music IS success to me. That's the goal of my life. Recognition from others is secondary to that. If I switch those around, then I lose something... my joy in being creatively engaged in my life."Choose empowering thoughts. Your level of optimism or pessimism isn't something that just happens to you. Whether you know it or not, you control every aspect of your mental outlook. Your attitude and beliefs create the lens through which you view the world. Therefore, focus on what you want, not on what you don't want. Stop complaining about your circumstances and start looking for opportunities to create the situations you desire." ~Bob Baker
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Off with his head. I've heard enough. Jude doesn't want to BE here. He only wants to sling mud, innuendo, and lame threats. Quote:But be advised from some one who has major credits in this business that you better understand what you are in or else you can get hurt.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Quote: Stop complaining about your circumstances and start looking for opportunities to create the situations you desire." ~Bob BakerI don't know why but you seem to assume things that I have never said.I encourage people to join Taxi and to make the most of it.Just know what one is getting into please. Thats all.Think possitive when you gamble. hehehehe

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Quote:Off with his head. I've heard enough. Jude doesn't want to BE here. He only wants to sling mud, innuendo, and lame threats. That itself was slinging mud.So you are like what you accuse me of.You refuted yourself.

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Lets not get astray.I think the idea mentioned in the first post was a good.Ok?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Quote:Quote: Stop complaining about your circumstances and start looking for opportunities to create the situations you desire." ~Bob BakerI don't know why but you seem to assume things that I have never said.I encourage people to join Taxi and to make the most of it.Just know what one is getting into please. Thats all.Think possitive when you gamble. hehehehe I think I clearly understand that you are saying:- that for every successful person, there are a hundred that won't make it; - that why one person succeeds and another doesn't isn't simple to define;- that many careers have a rise & fall;- that most people don't have a hope & should give up before they get 'hurt';- that people should educate themselves about the industry.My POV is no one can define success for me. I define it for myself. And I put one foot in front of the other, working hard/struggling & enjoying/feeling inspired by my progress. No one could tell me at the beginning of my journey whether I would be successful or not. The only way to know, is for me to do the work, and trust, and take joy in the journey. When I look at my life, I'm amazed at how far I've come, yet I clearly see I have a long way to go. I don't see how that 'hurts' me. I think it is possible to be a realist and a dreamer at the same time. One part inspires you, and the other part pushes you to take action to achieve. I don't think it's my place to squash other people's dreams.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:53 pm

I'm convinced that anybody who was "just as good as me" and did exactly what I did could also become as successful as i did, in this particular field. In fact there are many things I could've done better.The reason I believe this is not cause I'm some wide-eyed idealist or "up with people" Taxi marketer, but because I've seen so many people do it. In fact I've seen people who went back to essentially starting from scratch and repeated their success 2 or 3 times over.You can't compare this to writing or producing or playing, let alone being an artist, for the major record label market.It's a different business. It's a different business from film scoring even.Nobody is saying doing this is easy. It takes an enormous amount of dedication and a willingness to sacrifice. And you can never rest on your laurels. Nor is it for every musician/composer/songwriter. Some would simply not enjoy what I'm doing, and therefore probably not be as good at it. But from everything I've seen, it's not luck. In fact, when talented people don't succeed in this field, it's usually fairly easy to pinpoint why.matto