An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: An idea... (maybe a challenge?)

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Interesting... No one has followed up on what I suggested in the post that created this thread (Read up). If I knew it would become like this, I would have never started it. I just thought some folks would have some songs reviewed by members here and compare to what feedback they were getting from reviewers. That is all... Nothing more, nothing less... I am disappointed that it has gone this direction. Anyone interested in sticking to the music and the feedback? Casey

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Quote:Interesting... No one has followed up on what I suggested in the post that created this thread (Read up). If I knew it would become like this, I would have never started it. I just thought some folks would have some songs reviewed by members here and compare to what feedback they were getting from reviewers. That is all... Nothing more, nothing less... I am disappointed that it has gone this direction. Anyone interested in sticking to the music and the feedback? CaseyI agree.I think it is a good idea. I said that three times.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm

"I could name 5 off the top of my head that wrote for major motion pictures that are broke now."My point is, if they are broke now, whose responsibility is that? Did they stop writing good music, did they not invest wisely, did they become arrogant and turn people off, did they not progress in learning about new styles of music... did they stop growing as artists/creators? Were they not willing to follow the trends and invest time & energy in becoming better than ever? Or did the industry slam a door in their face? People are complex creatures and often shoot themselves in the foot.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm

My new years resolution for 2008 ---Ignore frivolous postings from anonymous whack jobs who believe that the black helicopters are there to personally keep them from having success in the music business. Happy New Year!!

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Quote:"I could name 5 off the top of my head that wrote for major motion pictures that are broke now."My point is, if they are broke now, whose responsibility is that? Did they stop writing good music, did they not invest wisely, did they become arrogant and turn people off, did they not progress in learning about new styles of music... did they stop growing as artists/creators? Were they not willing to follow the trends and invest time & energy in becoming better than ever? Or did the industry slam a door in their face? People are complex creatures and often shoot themselves in the foot. Out of respect to casey I think we should stick to the topic. So I won't respond to that.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Anyway, I agree this topic of the music industry, success in it, Taxi screening, etc etc belongs on a different thread. I told Casey privately there's been something like this running on another board for some time.Most of the time when I critique a song or lyric I deliberately don't read the feedback already given as I want to listen objectively. I think that's a good practice. Only after I've written my take on it do I read the other posts to see what they said.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Quote: Happy New Year!! Happy new year!!!What do you think about the topic?

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Not in the total spirit of defending Jude, but perhaps elaborate on what is maybe his point.It was likened to being a superstar athlete. You have your day in the sun, and at some point you can't do it anymore and have to hang up the glove. Michael himself made that statement several times noting that fore me as a 49 year old performer writer on a part time basis with a fully consuming day gig does not really have much of a chance at all at being 'signed' as an act. I have known some great musicians, composers, engineers, producers, and artists, who had their shot, the day in the sun, and were great in the day. I know quite of few of them who are "struggling" now. The Heyday is over and they are into something different to just keep the roof from leaking and some food on the table. I think that is something that has happened to music library writers as well. You go through dry spells, stretches of time when you can't come up with the ideas that people used to go ape over. Or even God forbid, writer's block. If I look back on my own 35 years, I can see lots of high spots, low spots, stretches when I was going for the gold, and hiatus when I couldn't do it. I, like Vicki, and chits, and steve am in the game, or say, back in the game trying to take another shot at a season in the sun. For me, I see my short Taxi stint here as actually trying to make a "Comeback". And yes, I believe it has everything to do with skill and learning and dedication, but it also depends tremendously on a "little bit of luck" that the song is ready at the right time and place for the right artist or Film TV opp.Like Michael has used as an analogy several times, being in game is a Pro Sport. Each of us are members of an all-star team. Taxi screeners aren't much different than the coaches. What coach would put a player in to carry the ball against a line of 350 pounders when he knows he could lose yardage? Its up to the player to attain his personal best to show the coach he's got the goods to move the ball.ArkJackPSI know this is off track from the original thread, but the topic is jumping around the board.....

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Quote:Quote: I would think a lot of people here know in their heart of hearts they haven't got a cat in hells chance of achieving the level of success that matto has achieved.However,there is a saying that goes something like,'it is better to travel hopefully than arrive' and you are taking away peoples hope.So then you too think it is a crap shoot.Don't blame me for taking away hope when you too agree.Hey, there are people who have a good time gambling.Let us gamble reponsibly though shall we.I agree we can have a good time doing it. I love music and hope that all that do what we do love it too so that the time is not a waste.But be advised from some one who has major credits in this business that you better undestand what you are in or else you can get hurt.THAT, my freind, is helping people NOT hurting them!Being from the UK I have to admit I didn't know what a 'crapshoot"was,so I googled it. 1. crapshoot - a risky and uncertain venture; "getting admitted to the college of your choice has become a crapshoot"danger, risk, peril - a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury; if this is a fair description???I will just use the last line as a quote "a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury"; I have full regard for any "loss" I may incur with Taxi and I consider it money well spent and the only "injury" I have suffered is to my ego!!!!!
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:34 pm

You're quite right, you haven't attacked me personally. But I have also spent the time reading every post you've made since you started posting here Jude. And every single post you have made, (if my old memory serves me correctly), looks like an attack at Taxi. Oh yeah, your last one about kissing and hugging your little boy, was nice, but it doesn't make up for the rest of the crap. I even made a joke once about enough "J" names, taking up space when there was no point to their posts. It was actually directed at you. I also read EVERY one of Vikki's, Matto's, Casey's even HookstownBrown's. (edit to include Walton's, Mazz' & Chits) Because I am here to learn. They have taught me a lot! You're not yet, but maybe you will.So what are you trying to point out? Out with it. Tell the truth, instead of beating around the bush with bullshit.Why are you here posting here?Quote:Quote:You don't want to talk about "the business." Right now, your posts are about rocking the boat, I won't repond to any more personal attacks.I don't attack you personally.