Reviews and Suggestions

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mplishka

Reviews and Suggestions

Post by mplishka » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:51 pm

1. If submitting for another artist, why do we get reviews that are rejected upon the basis of how the song was sung, or the instrumentation? (i.e. "Great tune that fit the listing but the harmonica didn't work") In Taxi's literature it talks about leaving some things to the reviewers imagination in the music, etc.2. Can Taxi perhaps have a page that shows the songs that WERE forwarded for each entry? It would help tremendously to see what others did right for the particular entry and better understand what is wanted when certain terms are used in the descriptions. Seems like a more effective way to learn than only reading the perception of a reviewer.

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Reviews and Suggestions

Post by ddusty » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi,there have been some excellent discussions on your first topic here on the boards, but i can't seem to find them at the moment.It was Matto's analogy that i like the best, ... you wouldn't go to a job interview without showering and putting on a good suit, it's the same way you shouldn't pitch a song with bad performances.Yes, in the past it was much less important, but with todays home studios, your track is going against other peoples demos that sound spectacular. As unknows, our songs will always be met with more scrutiny (If we had a few top ten hits under our belt, people would cut us more slack.)As far as TAXI posting a link to the ones that were forwarded, that is probably too much work/hassle for them to be involved with. Feel free to go to the listing section and post what listing it was, there is a good chance that some forumers had a forward to it and they would be happy to give a link to their song (along with the critique)Rob

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Quote:2. Can Taxi perhaps have a page that shows the songs that WERE forwarded for each entry? It would help tremendously to see what others did right for the particular entry and better understand what is wanted when certain terms are used in the descriptions. Seems like a more effective way to learn than only reading the perception of a reviewer.There was a huge discussion about the possibility of Taxi posting links to forwards a couple years ago. There are all kinds of issues with that -- firstly, the songwriter may not have their music posted publicly & may not wish that it be public; secondly, there are apparently Taxi members who still submit via snail mail/personal drop-off; thirdly - and most important - Taxi does not have the right to make copyright music available to its members, nor do members have the right to demand that anyone else's music be available to listen to. In response to the calls for forwarded music to be available to listen to for educational purposes, we asked that the "Got a Forward" section be created. There you will find listings and links to forwarded music for a variety of opportunities, via posts made voluntarily by the songwriters involved.Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

mplishka

Post by mplishka » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks Y'all. Rob, I'm not so much talking about bad products per se. I'm talking different tastes. I also have read some similar posts on this somewhere here. But I guess what gets me is that alot of the pitched tunes that are forwarded will be re-recorded the way the producer wants it anyway. For a reviewer to say "The song would be what they want if only it didn't have a tuba." Well what the heck, then send it on with a note that says, "Sans tuba". I have redone songs after a submission (not that it will ever see the orgiinal submission anyway so I start from ground zero each time) and in some cases I've got five different versions of one song. Which one do I submit next time when it asks for a similar song? Do I submit all five? And would the reviewer here the first few bars of the new arrangements and just say, "Same tune with different stuff-trash can."?Just trying to get a better handle on the process.Thanks~~peace~Plish

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:42 am

Hey Plish,Yeah, that's the tough thing about artist pitches, that and that there are usually 1,000 songs competing for 1 or 2 slots on an album.The closer your recording is to what the artist/producer wants, the easier it will be to get the producer/artist, manager, label rep et al to get where they are coming from. Remember, they will then have to sell your song to the rest of the people involved in that project. The less they have to say "No tuba here, faster with a female vocal..." the easier their pitch. Of course there is no way for you to know which version you will want to send, so there will always be a bit if a crap shoot on these, unless you want to spend and extra $20 and submit 5 songs...Rob

mplishka

Post by mplishka » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks for the time and thoughts Rob!~peace~Plish