Help define electronica

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

psychedeliccowboy

Help define electronica

Post by psychedeliccowboy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:02 pm

Howdy all,I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the listings section...I recently got feedback from a submission that I made for a listing in the dance/electronica category. The listing was: Dance/Electronica TAXI # S070911ELThe Owner of a new Music Library needs a wide range of ELECTRONICA INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. All styles, variations, and sub-genres of Electronica are OK. This production music veteran signed dozens of TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this new venture. He needs tracks with button ending - no fade-outs. This company will offer a standard exclusive deal where they will control the publishing rights of the songs they sign, the writer keeps the writer’s share of the royalties, and the license fees are split between company & writer. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Sept. 11, 2007. TAXI # S070911ELI have a number of artsy tracks that are pretty electronic sounding. The track in question was in 3 so, not very dance-able, like many of my tunes.Part of my critique:John, I like your jazzy approach to the song as well the 3/4 time signature. I don't think the track fits the Dance/Electronica style for this listing however. Interesting ideas John.I'm not frustrated that the track wasn't forwarded as the reviewer went on to make some good suggestions. However, I would like to know if, in the future, it's a waste to submit this type of track in this category. Nowhere in the listing did it mention dance and I took literally the phrase "all styles and sub-genres are ok." I understand the category is dance/electronica but what I'm getting at is dance-ability a requirement for all listings in this category? Thanks for reading.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Help define electronica

Post by mazz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:21 pm

It turns out there's a ton of genres and sub-genres of electronica. There's a website that is pretty widely regarded as a good basic reference to "electronica" http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.htmlThat being said, a picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case, a link to the cuts that were returned is worth at least a few hundred!! Post the links so we can help. There's a number of electronica folks on the forum that would probably be willing to give a listen.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:18 pm

HiI see you indicated that the song was under the heading "Dance/Electronica" but I don't see "Dance" anywhere in the description. So I'm confused.IF it was for anything DANCE, 3/4 time would be highly unlikely to fit.Cheers, Casey

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:35 am

Hey mazz...thanks for the link to the electronica site...answers many questions...raises a few more!Charlie

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 am

I'm a huge fan of electronic music in many styles, as well as (primarily) a composer and producer of electronica. The di.fm guide is amusing but in many cases, not necessarily informative (there's a distinct tongue and cheek tone on many of the entries.) The sound examples are by far the best aspect of it. If you do have a song you'd like to share I can try to identify your style and similar artists.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:02 am

Quote: If you do have a song you'd like to share I can try to identify your style and similar artists.Hey psychedeliccowboy, I suggest you take Zircon up on his offer, he's the forum guru on Electronica, IMO. He's the man! Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:03 am

Hey thanks...I'm going to try and dive into electronica...I'm mostly a jazz player, but I love tryiong to expand my comfort zone. I appreciate the listen in advance.I went to your site and was really impressed. Charlie

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:06 am

Hey Psych... I went through this exact same thing a few years back. There's definitely a set of "rules" for electronica and I'd say that the first rule (well, to be safe at least) is "no waltz timing". Electronica is all about the beat, 4/4 beat that is... no swing.I'm just going to speak in generalities so nothing here is set in concrete, although it's what I use for writing electronica tracks.In electronica there is no verse, chorus, or otherwise. Electronica "evolves" from a single groove, riff, beat, or concept, building up slowly, then breaking down to one or two complimentary grooves, then building back up. It's the art of making these subtle changes as the song progresses that separates the men from the boys, so to speak. It has to change slowly, otherwise you'll lose the listener. But change TOO slowly and the track is "uninteresting".I had to listen to LOTS of electronica before I caught on to the whole thing. I've found it to be a difficult genre to pull off convincingly and really interesting to pursue.HTH,Dave

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Two things to note;I HAVE heard 3/4 pulled off successfully by artists like Hybrid, who are periodically cited by Taxi. But as Dave says, you don't want a waltz feel. For example, "Hooligan Spirit" from their recent album "I Choose Noise".www.soundtempest.net/Example1.mp3Or another clip from the song "Choke" which starts at 4/4 but morphs into 3/4 temporarily.www.soundtempest.net/Example2.mp3One thing I will also warn you of. Dave is right that most mainstream electronica does not follow typical song structure. However, inexplicably, TAXI screeners sometimes reject my music for that reason - even though I only submit to listings I know I am dead-on for. Regardless, Dave is right about building from a central riff. For example, "Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy is 5:42 long and doesn't follow a traditional structure, but it has an incredibly recognizable main synth riff that really makes the song.www.soundtempest.net/Example4.mp3You can still do something a little more 'pop' style, though. Here's a clip of the chorus from a song by BT, a regularly cited musician in electronica listings and one of my all time favorite artists.www.soundtempest.net/Example3.mp3 ("The Force of Gravity")

bombaycharlie1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bombaycharlie1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Man, I love all the people on this forum that are so ready to share their experiences and expertise... It's such a great place to hang out and absorb the great music and vibe.Charlie