Rant?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Rant?

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 am

Quote:How Taxi has helped me.Well, I joined taxi in 2004, if I remember correctly.After 70 submissions, and a 70 to 0 ratio, I thought to myself, Wow, if I haven’t figured it out in 30 years, I am probably not going to.However, I recently received a very encouraging review from taxi.I took advantage of a “free review” offer a while back. The catch was this. The song that I picked was an up and coming song on the country charts Titled “Some people change”.No, I did not re-record it. I sent the actual song, being curios what kind of response I would get.The review I got back was interesting. It was suggested that I re-categorize it as AAA Album rock, and try releasing it on my own, as it had no real market potential as a song pitch.The other key suggestion was that if I could get the production values up, it may be a pitch for something in TV, or Film. Mmm? Last time I looked, it was in the top 5.I guess there is some hope for me after all.I get a lot out of the articles as well.Now, if you could reverse this and get radio stations to play our songs instead of the ones on the charts and see if anyone notices the difference, that would be worth something.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:41 am

Quote:Quote:How Taxi has helped me.Well, I joined taxi in 2004, if I remember correctly.After 70 submissions, and a 70 to 0 ratio, I thought to myself, Wow, if I haven’t figured it out in 30 years, I am probably not going to.However, I recently received a very encouraging review from taxi.I took advantage of a “free review” offer a while back. The catch was this. The song that I picked was an up and coming song on the country charts Titled “Some people change”.No, I did not re-record it. I sent the actual song, being curios what kind of response I would get.The review I got back was interesting. It was suggested that I re-categorize it as AAA Album rock, and try releasing it on my own, as it had no real market potential as a song pitch.The other key suggestion was that if I could get the production values up, it may be a pitch for something in TV, or Film. Mmm? Last time I looked, it was in the top 5.I guess there is some hope for me after all.I get a lot out of the articles as well.Now, if you could reverse this and get radio stations to play our songs instead of the ones on the charts and see if anyone notices the difference, that would be worth something. crackin' me up again Casey
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:01 am

Quote:Quote:How Taxi has helped me.Well, I joined taxi in 2004, if I remember correctly.After 70 submissions, and a 70 to 0 ratio, I thought to myself, Wow, if I haven’t figured it out in 30 years, I am probably not going to.However, I recently received a very encouraging review from taxi.I took advantage of a “free review” offer a while back. The catch was this. The song that I picked was an up and coming song on the country charts Titled “Some people change”.No, I did not re-record it. I sent the actual song, being curios what kind of response I would get.The review I got back was interesting. It was suggested that I re-categorize it as AAA Album rock, and try releasing it on my own, as it had no real market potential as a song pitch.The other key suggestion was that if I could get the production values up, it may be a pitch for something in TV, or Film. Mmm? Last time I looked, it was in the top 5.I guess there is some hope for me after all.I get a lot out of the articles as well.Now, if you could reverse this and get radio stations to play our songs instead of the ones on the charts and see if anyone notices the difference, that would be worth something.Very interesting idea. Wonder if there's any way we could pitch that, just for a day.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:25 am

Quote:Quote:Now, if you could reverse this and get radio stations to play our songs instead of the ones on the charts and see if anyone notices the difference, that would be worth something.Very interesting idea. Wonder if there's any way we could pitch that, just for a day.I don't think most of us could afford the Payola.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:45 am

Quote:Quote:Very interesting idea. Wonder if there's any way we could pitch that, just for a day.I don't think most of us could afford the Payola.I'm saving up.

grannyflats

Post by grannyflats » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:05 am

I have a suggestion for your immediate financial needs and Taxi members on the forum can help.There's a website called http://www.whoneedsmymoney.com/I happen to know the guy who is doing this. It is legitimate. If you post your story there, I would certainly vote for you as would many others on this forum, I'm sure. This month's money is currently around $1100.00 Get it out there fast though. The current round closes July 31.

wyrsek

Post by wyrsek » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:18 am

To those who feel disdain at what they're receiving from taxi's review system and such...you can always ask for your money back. It's right in their FAQ. I did it, it works.I found their feedback to be totally inane and worthless...it was almost 80% slamming me for recording quality. And these were all label pitches where I was pretty sure that I was showcasing my abilities as an artist, not a recording engineer. Anyway, long story short. I got my money back.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:43 am

Isn't that just peachy that you got your money back? I dare you to show us the review and your song. Maybe we'll all learn something. Maybe not.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 am

Quote:To those who feel disdain at what they're receiving from taxi's review system and such...you can always ask for your money back. It's right in their FAQ. I did it, it works.I found their feedback to be totally inane and worthless...it was almost 80% slamming me for recording quality. And these were all label pitches where I was pretty sure that I was showcasing my abilities as an artist, not a recording engineer. Anyway, long story short. I got my money back. Did you think that recording quality was NOT important in a label pitch? Labels today generally only take interest in folks with finished product and a buzz already generated. With all the competition out there, there is virtually no way a label wants to hear a demo that does not sound like a commercially mastered CD (or very close). If you were pitching SONGS for other artists to record, you might have more leeway, but even there it often matters.I'm glad TAXI gave you a refund. It shows they stand by their word. TAXI or not, you really need to have a better understanding of the music industry to decide what to do next. I'm not slamming you, I'm just making sure you know what the expectations are from A&R folks.Best of luck,Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:54 am

Quote:To those who feel disdain at what they're receiving from taxi's review system and such...you can always ask for your money back. It's right in their FAQ. I did it, it works.I found their feedback to be totally inane and worthless...it was almost 80% slamming me for recording quality. And these were all label pitches where I was pretty sure that I was showcasing my abilities as an artist, not a recording engineer. Anyway, long story short. I got my money back. what Steve said. Post up the song, post up the listing, and post up the feedback.