Rant?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

clonsberry
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Rant?

Post by clonsberry » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:02 am

Quote:To those who feel disdain at what they're receiving from taxi's review system and such...I guess I feel disdain. They haven't told me that I'm the greatest songwriter ever. But I'm pretty sure the fault is mine. Just a guess.

wyrsek

Post by wyrsek » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:52 pm

Wow...didn't realize anyone was actually going to reply to what I said. I was just trying to say that those who didn't like what they were hearing could get their money back, since this thread started with someone complaining about spending the membership fee and not being satisfied. For what it's worth, I plan on being a member again, but only after I know that I've got the kinks in my recording process worked out. Truth be told, I don't truly expect much in the way of getting forwarded because I do a style that doesn't exactly cater to the stereotypical style out there, but I will confess, the thought that recording quality was not going to be such a "make or break" issue helped me sign up. And worry not, I don't take anything that was said as a slam, I just didn't realize that quality was such a big deal, remember, I based a lot of what I thought about my membership on what taxi says on their own page. And they DO say that it's not that big of a deal. I'm not sure why I'm being "dared to show the review and the song" that makes it sound like some sort of challenge. I didn't think my review or my song was up for debate, but if you would like to see/hear then I'll gladly abide. What is the proper method for posting such things? Pure text form direct to the board or via link?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:01 pm

Hey... your post said "I found their feedback to be totally inane and worthless..." so I think that's why folks figured your first post on the board was a flame. Typically, if someone has a review they are disputing, they post the entire review, plus the details of the listing, in the "screener shoutout" section, along with a link to the song that was submitted. H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

wyrsek

Post by wyrsek » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 pm

Ahhh...well I disputed my feedback with sebastian already, I haven't been a member for a little while now...I was honestly just attempting to express, as the thread origin did, that I was unhappy with what I was hearing via their feedback and if that was the case with people who really had disdain for their own reviews that, yes, taxi will really give your money back. Like I said, I plan on joining again, but I know now what I didn't know then. And I plan to rectify the problem before wasting my time, or the time of taxi, with subpar recording qualities.

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:09 am

I also belong to Christian Songwriter's Network, Garageband and Songramp. I sent a pm in here a while back saying that people on these sites "Looking For Songs" showed more interest in songs I've had returned by Taxi .The reply said something about these folks being the End Listeners and that the end listener has very little to say about what goes on the market . To me, an end listener would be something like a guy at the wheel turning the radio on, not someone looking for songs to perform. I've had two people on these sites ask if I would be interested in them recording one of my songs. How is this an "End Listener"? This just says to me that when the artist is allowed to hear some songs and make their own decision, things sometimes change.AND, NO!!, I haven't lost the thought that the artist would then get Far more songs than they could ever listen to. But, sometimes the industry actually gets in the way of an artist hearing a song that they could do tremendous things with.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:42 am

Well you are right Walter. Any INDUSTRY is just some collection of business models for making money from something. And they run their models into the ground often enough. There are always outside ways of doing things, and they are necessarily (typically, though there are exceptions) going to generate less revenue. So, as has been pointed out elsewhere, getting people to record your songs might be a good thing, even if it is outside the standard industry route. And, sometimes, in the process, new industries arise. It is all part of the thrust and parry.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

electricblues817

Post by electricblues817 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:39 am

Hey, this is for the original poster, Walter. I'm new here, and maybe I missed someone else's similar response, but I think I can help. I noticed people saying that you're a non-performer, and that you have problems finding collaborators. What has helped me in a huge way with finding singers (I play a bunch of instruments, I write, and am decent with audio engineering, but I cant sing to save my life) is to use online classifieds like Craigslist. Craigslist has honestly helped me find all of the singers I've used on my songs in the last 2 years. I do the singers a favor (like play the backing instruments and mix a song they want to record), and they do me a favor by singing one of the songs I wrote. Note though that many of the musicians on Craigslist are not nearly as professional and nice as the people on these boards. People go out of their way on Craigslist just to post ads bashing other bands with a post. But once you sift through all that garbage, it's very helpful.Some other musician connection sites include:www.harmony-central.comwww.ralphworld.comand http://www.usamusician.net/ has some networking areas.Just google musician networking sites and you should be able to find someone to help you. Your own town or city should have Village Voice-type classified sites too.As far as the money spent on Taxi, its a tough call. I've only had 3 forwards out of about 15 submissions since I joined in April. And out of the those I havent received any deals, at least yet. I don't know though. These things need time. I realize now that I was completely nuts thinking I was just gonna become a hit writer bc I had songs that I thought were good. You need to convince a whole lot more people than yourself apparently. Try real hard to find a reliable and talented collaborator, dont give up, and try to dig as deep as possible with your songs. Make every word count, bc obviously you see how the screeners pick at every little thing.

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am

Well. Okay then. Back to Walt's situation (completely ignoring whatever's going on with someone ripping someone else's song off.......sheesh).......Walt, you know I've been where you are. It cost $12,000 for me to be able to write to you today. That was my co-pay after chemo. Otherwise, I'd pretty much be worm food. I also know that, as a man, there are cultural influences that pretty much scream at you to get out there, work, do all the things a man's supposed to do (according to pop culture, anyway) and this is causing some dissonance in your mind when you're faced with your current situation. Add to that the typical guilt of someone who's fighting a life-threatening disease while they depend on others for their survival and hell, yes, spending $300 on a song is gonna tax your patience.It's sounds okay to me that you're sad and frustrated and confused. Life isn't quite the same as it was, is it? Look, I know music's great. It is, it's wonderful to be able to write in an original way, to hear it come to life in a singer's voice. But I decided a long time ago that while music helps me survive spiritually, if it should interfere with my physical survival, it's gotta go on the backburner. That's played out well, not only once with my cancer but twice with Katrina. I came back. You can too.Just wanted you to know that. This will settle itself out. You can learn to have patience with yourself. It's not your fault you're sick. It's not your fault the medical industry's costs have skyrocketed far past inflation. It's not your fault that you can't work because the drugs keep you from it. Do not blame the victim, Walt. I know you wouldn't do it with me, so please don't do it to yourself. You're a good man. You've got a loving wife who worries about you. While music is amazing and helps lift the spirit, it won't pay your bills quite yet. That's okay too. You can adjust to this and make a comeback when you're feeling better. Meantime, you can put yourself out there, make yourself available for co-writes, etc and work on song development.I'm gonna hafta bow out of writing next semester cuz I'm taking more than full-time classes. No time = tense Squid. Tense Squid = bad writing. Better for me to bide my time and wait until things shake out. At the same time, there's a little voice in my head that tells me I'm running out of time and to make the most of it, especially after my experiences. I have to balance that against the reality of actually surviving quite a bit longer than I've already done and that includes making adjustments in the way I live. You can do it too.I'm really pulling for you, Walt.