Reviews and scores...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sofakingbixby

Reviews and scores...

Post by sofakingbixby » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:07 am

My buddy back in the states recorded a song i wrote while here in Iraq. the scores were 5's 6's and 7's but he submitted it as a critique only. The question i have is are those the type of scores that would be forwarded to publishing companies? or is it possible to get straight 10's? I think TAXI is one of the greatest things for the small guy like me, but since i am so far removed from the "real" world i am not sure what constitutes a "good" song worthy of forwarding. I appreciate your read, and anything you could tell me about this. -steve
The only thing that puts a man in charge, is the people who follow him - Mao

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Reviews and scores...

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 am

Quote:My buddy back in the states recorded a song i wrote while here in Iraq. the scores were 5's 6's and 7's but he submitted it as a critique only. The question i have is are those the type of scores that would be forwarded to publishing companies? or is it possible to get straight 10's? I think TAXI is one of the greatest things for the small guy like me, but since i am so far removed from the "real" world i am not sure what constitutes a "good" song worthy of forwarding. I appreciate your read, and anything you could tell me about this. -steveFirst, my thoughts are with you while you are over there in Iraq. Best wishes for a safe return! Are you scheduled to come home anytime soon?I am not a current TAXI member (a former one) but I can answer your question anyway. The decision on forwarding is based on more that just your scores. It is based on (1) how your song fits what the listing asked for, (2) how competitive the listing is (often called "the bar", either low, medium, or high), and (3) your scores. So, if you had high scores but the song wasn't on target for the listing, you would not be forwarded. If the "bar" was high (such as a major label song request), your song would have to get a nearly perfect review to be forwarded. But there could be a request for something that your song happens to have such as a film/TV song about a certain subject, and with lower scores-- even some 5's, you could get forwarded.There are no hard and fast rules. Obviously, the better your reviews, the better your chances BUT it is important to look at your scores from at least a few submissions with multiple screeners to see if there is a pattern. If the same comment keeps coming up, it might be worth addressing.Good luck!!! And come home safe and soon!! Casey

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:10 am

Hi Bixby, I am a 3+ year TAXI member and agree with most of Casey's post. I've had a song forwarded (goto:paintriver.com and listen to, Blue Water Country) that received mostly 5's and 6's, based on a lyric that was coincidentally perfect for the listing. It was a song wrote years ago and recorded on a 4 track tape deck! Bt the way, thanks for your service to America and the free world, and prayers on the winds from Shaftsburg, Michigan. I'm a veteran and know how it can be in a combat zone. Keep your head down, and watch your buddies' back. Let me know if there's anything you need; I'll put you on my "in theater" mailing list. Email me here: bc@paintriver.com. Oreo cookies, licorice, gator aide, and magazines have been my top requests. best,bc

sofakingbixby

Post by sofakingbixby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 am

Casey, Thanks for your input. I am horrible at recording, but i do so love to write and sing. I don't have the time to record music because i am always being sent here. (4 times so far) I posted the song "Ashes to Ashes" on another website where songwriters critique eachother. and amazingly enough the remarks were almost identical. so i know what i need to do to adjust the song. (i just don't know if i want to ) i love it the way it is but i know that is a horrible point of view, and i'll never get forwarded with that attitude. but some of my better songs are like my babiess, and no body wants to be told their baby is ugly. that being said, i have a thick skin and understand what it takes to get forwarded. I just didn't know what scores it would take. I am due home sometime in mid to late september. thank you for your support.

sofakingbixby

Post by sofakingbixby » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 am

BC Thanks for your input, and support. I appreciate the offer for stuff. Let your people know all the Marines under me are comming home alive and safe, and the terrorists aren't going to get them. -steve

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:52 pm

Steve - first of all thanks for your service. My thoughts are with you and all your fellow servicemen and women and I wish you all a safe return home. Secondly, the scoring - confuses the heck out of me as we had some material forwarded to MTV and other high bar listings that had recieved 7-ish scores in earlier critiques. On song library listings, we had some in the 6/7 range get forwarded - the scores are only one part of the decision to forward, and it depends on what the "lower" scores are on (melody strength, marketability)I picked a listing and sent in a song for a critique, but told the reviewer to pretend I was submitting it for that particular listing and let me know if they thought it should have been submitted. (since we mostly pitch Karen's music I was unsure if mine was good enough yet).My scores were an even mix of 6/7 but the reviewer said because it was right on target for the listing, and the performances and recording were confident and strong they thought it would have been fine to submit this to the listing (which was a competitive one) for "real"In reading the critiques and having gone to the road rally, it seems most important that they be of good quality and on target for the listing, and then the music has to work too.Hope this helps - AnnePS - for 4th of July we are giving away Karen's recording of The Star-Spangled Banner from one of her ball game appearances. Her greencard came through, and since she got to America on July 4th 2001, we thought it was appropriate. Please share it with everyone there!!!http://www.karenjacobsen.com/banner.html

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Quote:the scores are only one part of the decision to forward, and it depends on what the "lower" scores are onActually, the scores are NOT used to decide if a song should be forwarded or not, nor is the rest of the critique sheet. Forward/non-forward is based on the screeners gut feeling vis-a-vis the listing and listing party (remember the screener knows who the individual/company placing the listing is).The rest is just meant to help you improve your music...people always seem to forget/overlook that.As far as the scores, as you can imagine they are somewhat variable, some people will be more stingy and never give 10's, others are a bit more...uhm...lenient . It is music after all and there is no absolute way of measuring what a "perfectly" written track is.matto

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:54 am

I would think there is some significance to the Marketability score that goes beyond helping you improve. If you get 10's on Musicianship you still may not get forwarded, but if you get 10's for Marketabilty, I do like your chances.I don't know if that is correct, it is just my guess.

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi Matto. I was trying to explain why I was confused by the fact that we've had several songs with "ok" scores get forwarded. I thought that being on target for the listing was the primary factor in forwarding (given that the song is any good and is a decent recording) and that the scores were a reflection of the song quality etc. Thanks for clearing that up.