My 1970s Forward :)

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

paults
Impressive
Impressive

My 1970s Forward :)

Post by paults » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:59 am

Here’s proof that production doesn’t have to be complicated to get a forward: One guitar, recorded with a pair of microphones.Contemplationhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=56495&stream=trueThe Listing:1970s-style original INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are sought by the Owner of a Music Production Library for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. ALL GENRES associated with the decade of the 1970s will work as they're open to Soft Rock, Country Rock, Jazz Fusion, Jazz, Disco, Metal, Arena Rock, etc, etc. Great, authentic-sounding performances are a must - he needs material that sounds like it was lifted straight out of the 1950s. He needs tracks with button endings - no fade-outs. This production music veteran signed many TAXI writers to his previous company, and wants to repeat that same type of success with this venture as well. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 7, 2007. TAXI # Y071207IN

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Re: My 1970s Forward :)

Post by djdeweese » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:08 am

Great job paults, and nice example of the KISS rule! What was your guitar, microphone combination? Did you use a pre-amp? You got a nice warm, clean sound there. Congrats and hope you get a call/email on this one!

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:31 am

Thanks! I didn't use a tube preamp, but I did use an old-school recording approach with this. The guitar is a late 1970s Ovation Legend. This was a pair of AKG C1000 mics, into a Mackie 1604 mixer, to a Fostex analog tape recorder. Then, I put it in the computer, and used Soundforge and Ozone to tweak it.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:26 am

Way to go Paul!!Great playing and nice recording. It's so nice to hear some real air around an instrument! That's a pretty nice sounding Ovation, too.Great news, I hope you get contacted.Write/record more of this stuff, you're good at it.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

ginstl
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ginstl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:52 am

Paul, that is a really sweet piece of guitar playing. Sounds Great! Congratulations!Greg.

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks to both of you! That's an X-Y mic pair, around 3 feet away from the guitar, providing some "real" air before the digital effects.I've been watch for appropriate listings for this kind of stuff. It sure is quicker to record than orchestal pieces!

timmerblakely
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timmerblakely » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:13 am

Great performance on this piece. Very dynamic. Congrats on the forward!Timmer

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:39 am

Quote:Here’s proof that production doesn’t have to be complicated to get a forward: One guitar, recorded with a pair of microphones.Ahhhh yes Paul!!But performance and well tuned is vital!! Very good playing and beautiful tone.Congratulations on this excellent forward.Cisco

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Great news, Paul. And what a clean, beauty of a piece.Congrats. NEXT?????Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:43 am

Timmer, Cisco, and Ted - Thanks! NEXT is the operative word, isn't it?