Critique Anonymity Unfair

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Critique Anonymity Unfair

Post by hummingbird » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:25 am

Quote:Quote:Send your 3 best songs to a Taxi custom critique and to 2-3 professional critiquing services like Jason Blume's, Michael Anderson's, NSAI etc.Ask them specifically to comment on whether your songs are ready for the Nashville market.If the answer from all of them is no, there is no point in making calls or mailing stuff out, cause you have much more work to do. If the answer from all of them is yes, then you need to research EVERY possible avenue of getting your songs into industry hands.The bottom line is, you first have to make sure your material is of the highest quality.Thanks, Matt. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage sending my stuff for a TAXI custom critique unless it's properly demoed. I play guitar only a little, and I've been told (or it's my understanding) that to submit songs for a TAXI custom critique, they have to sound really good or the screeners might be affected by the poor sound quality....it might affect their judgement about your song. This is one reason why I'm spending so much money having my stuff demoed first..... I'm not a musician and I can't play an instrument well or create that 'broadcast' quality that I need. I like your idea about submitting to Jason Blume though.....actually, I bookmarked his website last week, the one where you pay 30 bucks a critique. Jason will critique 'a capella' songs sent in on CD, and this is right up my alley. I don't think there are many critiquers out there who'll critique a capella type songs.....looks like Jason Blume can hear any potential in a song, even if it's not arranged or accompanied by instruments.Actually, I think you have this backwards. The whole point of getting a custom critique from Taxi or a professional critique from folks like John Braheny or Jason Blume is to provide a sketch of the song - lyrics, worktape - so that you do not waste money demoing songs that are going to need rewrites. I strongly urge you to rethink. You are submitting to be critiqued on the song, not the production (unless you specificly request that). Once you are sure the song is working, is commercially viable, then you spend the money on the demo. That's why investing $10 - $30 on a pro critique now is so important.Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:26 am

Quote:Quote:[quote author=johnnydean1 board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174252352][quote author=hitwriter board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174248621]I stated that I was not trying to be arrogant, nor boast. I listed my background for reference.I have remained humble in all of my posts.I also stated that I was trying to extend my network of contacts outside of Nashville thru TAXI which appears to be their true niche.Why would I not want to earn more income from the music business?TAXI is for the professional songwriter... they do not forward songs that are not professional. How could I be too big?Unless your comment was intended as an insult?My comment was an observation.You would be in no doubt if I were to insult you.Hitwriter.Are we supposed to be impressed.No I made my case.Readers can discern for themselves.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:26 am

Quote:That said some extremely "blunt criticism" helped me become a better songwriter.I agree with that...I think there's a balancing act there too. You wanna tell people why their stuff isn't working, but ideally without insulting them too badly...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:34 am

Chits, I agree with Vikki.Quote:I've been told (or it's my understanding) that to submit songs for a TAXI custom critique, they have to sound really good or the screeners might be affected by the poor sound quality....it might affect their judgement about your song. This is one reason why I'm spending so much money having my stuff demoed first..... I'm not a musician and I can't play an instrument well or create that 'broadcast' quality that I need. For custom critiques a rough demo is fine since you are NOT submitting to be forwarded to the industry. Make sure you include a note saying that you know the demo production isn't up to snuff, you just want your lyric and melody critiqued vis-a-vis their suitability for the Nashville market.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:34 am

Quote:OK this is getting tiring, mostly because there isn't anything new actually coming out. I'm going to add one last thing.What should anyone expect for $5. The Taxi membership cost is to allow us to submit. The $5 is to stop us from submitting every song we have to every listing under the sun. Professional critiques ought to cost more than $5 anyway. I just don't think it's logical to expect or hope for a more thorough level of review feedback (per song) for that meager price.steve Just a correction - the $5 is not for the critique. It's the submission fee. When it comes with the listing, the critique is gratis. A custom critique is $10.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

gunter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gunter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:52 am

Quote:To Jchitty:It is always best to have a contact at the label, management, or publishing company in advance of any pitch.Music Row Publications (Music Row Magazine - www.musicrow.com ) updates several directories each year offering contact information including a comprehensive who's who list edition that is exhaustive......Which is why I said all that other stuff earlier about the packaging, the song quality, the demo quality, pitching only the right songs for the right artist.Anything less and your first impression has been wasted.I hope the information has been helpful.I wish you much sucess!- What you haven't mentioned is that this is a business of relationships.That's everywhere and in every business the same. If a publisherlikes you and think he can work with you. You're in.If you got great songs but he doesn't like you. You're out.- If you're for such a long time in this business and got a hitrecord under your beltand still need taxi you should consider my point.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ralph Murphy:Four most important things that a writer had to have to get a publishing deal in Nashville were very surprising. • Number one, of course, was the lyric.• Number two, was personality-whether or not they like you.• Number three, logically, is melody-the ability to write a great melody. • Number four, was the ability to write alone.But personality, whew. I've got people passing through my office who are just so negative. No matter how good they are, no one is going to want to put up with someone as negative and depressing as this human being who is bitching at me.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - My advice would be not going to discuss everything 'til you drive people nuts.It's already the second time! I'm not saying it isn't allowed to you... but you know!If you doing this in a publishers office... Whew! However, to me this thread looks like you're flogging a dead horse!- No matter with how many arguments you come up, they won't give up the critique anonymity. With good reasons most people can understand easily!No more comments on this thread...

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Steve, I wasn't referring to newbees or you. EOMBTW: I do like the Pro tier idea; but what an administrative hassle. I belong to a very elite 2 tier organization and a small number of "associates" are always griping about how unfair things are...until they qualify for regular membership status that is. Matt, you've went from being a thorn in my psyche, to a valued cyber-friend. Gravitas notwithstanding! Aub, I disagree. Creds count when you're paying for specific creds. We can do the semantic waltz with words, but when creds are in the adv copy, they become a viable issue. However, I do agree that no amount of creds can ordain a good reviewer. I was a first chair trumpet player in high school, but you don't want me adjudicating trumpet players at Solo and Ensemble competition.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Quote:- What you haven't mentioned is that this is a business of relationships.That's everywhere and in every business the same. If a publisherlikes you and think he can work with you. You're in.If you got great songs but he doesn't like you. You're out.- If you're for such a long time in this business and got a hitrecord under your beltand still need taxi you should consider my point.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ralph Murphy:Four most important things that a writer had to have to get a publishing deal in Nashville were very surprising. • Number one, of course, was the lyric.• Number two, was personality-whether or not they like you.• Number three, logically, is melody-the ability to write a great melody. • Number four, was the ability to write alone.But personality, whew. I've got people passing through my office who are just so negative. No matter how good they are, no one is going to want to put up with someone as negative and depressing as this human being who is bitching at me.* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - My advice would be not going to discuss everything 'til you drive people nuts.It's already the second time! I'm not saying it isn't allowed to you... but you know!If you doing this in a publishers office... Whew! However, to me this thread looks like you're flogging a dead horse!- No matter with how many arguments you come up, they won't give up the critique anonymity. With good reasons most people can understand easily!No more comments on this thread... Who is forcing you to read this?I have simply responded to the posts that have been made regarding my own opinions in this...fo·rum (fôr'əm, fōr'-) Pronunciation Key n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr'ə, fōr'ə) 1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business. 2. A public meeting place for open discussion. 3. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website. 2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation. 3. A court of law; a tribunal.Most of you disagreeing have very valid points that I have accepted regarding TAXI as is.I'll say no more when the thread no longer addresses my comments.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Wow, this place is hopping today... There were over 120 posts, many of which were on this thread! How can we complain about reviewer anonymity when we don't even know who Johnny Dean is? Now THAT'S an issue!!! I think I'll go meditate with my new mantra, "hit song"... hit songhit soooooooonghit soooooooooooonghit soooooooooooooooong cAsEy

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Quote:...As far as assuming that my ego is above criticism and that I somehow know it all is absurd.Songwriters much greater than me face constant rejection from the charts dying for hits. Save your cute lines for a song.Your condescending attitude however in making your point will no doubt be greatly appreciated by those who disagree with my "opinions".This had been a very considerate debate for a few pages.Sorry if I came off condescending. Not my intent. I just thought it important to note that there is value in every opinion, and many statements made here give the impression that your skillset and credentials place you beyond the need for such opinions if they come from an anonymous source. Perhaps I misread your statements as you misread my intent.For me, it's not the source of the opinion that matters, but rather the validity of the opinion's content, and only one opinion, regardless of the source, has very little merit unless corroborated with other sources, including my own evaluation.I have a decent little resume too, and am lucky enough to make a living making music and have for quite some time. However, I have learned a lot from both this forum and Taxi screeners.Sorry if it felt like I was taking a jab. I'm pretty blunt sometimes, but there's a nice guy under this text Aub