Critique Anonymity Unfair

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Critique Anonymity Unfair

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:38 am

Quote:Quote:Uhmm...have you read the entire thread? The OP asks Taxi several times to reconsider/explain its policy. So now Michael did just that...and now there's something wrong with THAT?? First, Michael took a lot of time and effort to put together that response. Having written letters like that, my guess is it took him MANY hours to write that. TAXI may or may not be for you but: How many CEOs give you such direct access? I am not a member, but I applaud a CEO taking that much time to talk to his customers and address their concerns.I guess I love analogies but here goes... Have you ever been a manager in the corporate world -or- run your own small business? I used to be the manager of a software engineering department of about 15-20 people. Most people that worked for me were great. There were times when I bent over backwards for people, fighting for raises for them, defending them (to my own detriment) when the president was bitching about them, etc, etc. And, no surprise, there were a few that I went to bat for who did nothing but continue to complain and some even resigned right after I got them everything they wanted. That was certainly their choice but it seemed a bit unappreciative and left me embarrassed with my superiors. So it seems to me that you have a company here, TAXI, that is working hard to help you succeed and gives you direct access to their CEO. I don't always agree with TAXI and when I was a member I certainly disagreed on some of my rejections. And don't forget, TAXI can only benefit from scoring a success for you with your music since successes are great for advertising and promotion and can only bring in more business. So, there is no up-side to them to simply not forwarding songs. One more thing and TAXI can correct me if I am wrong. Early on, Michael did not want a message board like this. It takes a bit of babysitting to get rid of totally inappropriate posts and since it is human nature to sometimes talk about the negatives and not the positives, it can end up being bad for business. A perspective member who is on the fence, might quickly scan, read some negative posts and not join. But Michael allows this board to stay alive. And despite the bitching about censorship, I've seen very few posts which were critical of TAXI deleted.I may sound rah-rah TAXI... But my perspective is more about the general business world, than TAXI itself. CaseyCasey.I think Taxi is the best thing since sliced bread, for composers and songwriters, and I have to say that I feel proud to be a paid member.I know all the ins and outs because I did my homework before I joined. I read good words and bad words. The good words far outweighed the bad. Besides. The bad words seemed to come from disgruntled ex-members in my opinion.I think it's fantastic that Michael appears very much to be the type of guy that gets his hands dirty every now and again on the shop floor. Any manager worth his salt knows that sort of attitude is great for morale and provides an affinity between workers and management. Not a gap.Here's another analogy.Let's say you have a friend who you know very well. Their character is laid back and easy going. One day they meet another of your friends for the first time, yet they are in a bit of a mood. That person comes to you and says "Your friends a bit grumpy isn't he". To which you reply. "No. Not at all. He's a great guy. You just caught him at a bad moment".I wanted to point out that I thought this was out of character in my opinion. Every other dialogue I've read from Michael (and I've read quite a few) seems different to this.So am I being defensive in attack?Yes I am.I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression about Michael. If I had a hat. I'd take it off to him.I have good experience in management. One of the things I would of appreciated was someone coming up to me and saying "Jeff, I thought you were a bit strong with your words there". However, they never did. Either I approached things in the correct way every time, or they were all yes men/women. I never got to find that out.It's one of the things I like about this forum. Not everybody agrees with what we say.As far as my post was concerned. It was actually Pro-Taxi. Assumption can be a dangerous thing.I can see how some might have reached the conclusion that it wasn't. So for the benefit of those that did:"I think taxi is great" Here's to many more disagreements.May they bring us all the answers and perspectives we need.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:25 am

I'm glad that Michael Laskow took the time to answer some of the questions asked here. They were questions I was certainly curious about.I think for the money, TAXI is a really good deal. Everything in life is a mixed bag, no service is perfect. I haven't always been overjoyed with a few of my critiques, but there have been times (like the critique I received on Monday) where a screener has really given me hope and taken the time to encourage and correct flaws in my songwriting that I couldn't see. I was ELATED with that critique, and as far as I'm concerned that critique was worth my membership for the whole year. I didn't get a foward, but I got something I've been looking for...someone to say, 'keep writing, you're getting there." I don't live in a networking town....this board and all various TAXI services allow me to do that. I like the fact that this message board is such a good exchange for ideas, support and information, even though people can be critical at times....it balances out and makes this board a truly supportive place for musicians and songwriters. I pitch on my own as well. I've always looked at TAXI as only one necessary leg of the stool, not the end all and be all, but still a good leg of the stool to have.My goal is not to disagree with any poster here....everyone has a right to say what they feel. I just think it's cool that the Prez of the company actually answered some questions for his members.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:48 am

How true.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:55 am

Quote:How true.Well, I wasn't coming down on you Jeffe. I'm just blown away by the fact that the Prez of any company would come on here and answer questions for people...usually, companies take the "Bridgestone approach".....remember when Bridgestone tires were causing all these accidents and they just turned a blind eye to consumers?

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 am

It's like I was saying. People get a lot of respect for appearing at different levels, even though their position is higher (Getting their hands dirty).

lsp
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by lsp » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:17 am

Michael Laskow totally rocks!!!So Hitmaker, give it a rest. Everyone else, stop whining and get to work on your craft.We have gotten forwards, We have gotten rejections.We're lovin' every minute of it and gettin' better all the time!Taxi is awesome!

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 am

Well......That was constructive.Or was it just someone trying to be oppressive?

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 am

Referring to the previous post. Before anybody thinks I'm talking about Michael again Which I'm clearly not.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 am

Quote:Quote:How true.Well, I wasn't coming down on you Jeffe. I'm just blown away by the fact that the Prez of any company would come on here and answer questions for people...usually, companies take the "Bridgestone approach".....remember when Bridgestone tires were causing all these accidents and they just turned a blind eye to consumers?Have I missed something?This is Taxi not Microsoft!Wouldn't you expect ML to be a bit closer to his clients than BG.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:04 am

Quote:Michael Laskow totally rocks!!!So Hitmaker, give it a rest. Everyone else, stop whining and get to work on your craft.We have gotten forwards, We have gotten rejections.We're lovin' every minute of it and gettin' better all the time!Taxi is awesome!You're not that boss on The Office, are you?