Critique Anonymity Unfair

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Critique Anonymity Unfair

Post by bc » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:07 am

Ha! Casey, don't feel too bad. I'm probably the redheaded stephchild of the board. My creds here are so low that when I tried to contact one of our board divas (had a payin' gig for her -- emailed her twice) she wouldn't even do me the common courtesy of a reply...I think I know why

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:20 pm

I wonder if someone can answer this question of mine....this thread has me thinking about this issue. My guitar teacher always tells me that his ears 'are fried' after listening to too much music, so I wonder how much music these screeners are bombarded with for each listing. I seem to get the same screeners, and it's my guess that they are listening to hundreds of songs a day. Sometimes, my critiques all sound a like, like they didn't put much thought into it. Yes, I know this happens all over the industry.....people are bombarded with all types of demos to listen to.....but we are paying TAXI to listen to our demoes. So are we being shortchanged if we get one screener to listen to thousands of demoes? Does TAXI employ enough people? I think AJ made the point about being the unfortunate person whose CD is the last to be listened to on a Friday....even though TAXI says 'it's not a competition' you can't tell me that a person wouldn't be tired by then, and this might affect his/her judgement. For that reason, maybe giving at least someone's list of credentials (and not his name) might be a good idea....it would be nice to know if this person is used to dealing with this type of work overload.*waiting for those tomatoes*

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Quote:Quote:Look at this thread; whether he will admit it or not, there is a certainly well-earned "gravitas" to Matt's opinions. In fact, I'll bet his op eds have more weight with the community (here) than say...Casey's best, bcThat's OK. I am happy to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the boards... hee hee CaseyI see you more as the Larry King of the boards, a good interviewer and host.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Quote:Ha! Casey, don't feel too bad. I'm probably the redheaded stephchild of the board. My creds here are so low that when I tried to contact one of our board divas (had a payin' gig for her -- emailed her twice) she wouldn't even do me the common courtesy of a reply...I think I know why I remember you, bc, as a kind person who gave me a nice critique of my song....so you're okay in book.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Quote:I wonder if someone can answer this question of mine....this thread has me thinking about this issue. My guitar teacher always tells me that his ears 'are fried' after listening to too much music, so I wonder how much music these screeners are bombarded with for each listing. I seem to get the same screeners, and it's my guess that they are listening to hundreds of songs a day. Sometimes, my critiques all sound a like, like they didn't put much thought into it. Yes, I know this happens all over the industry.....people are bombarded with all types of demos to listen to.....but we are paying TAXI to listen to our demoes. So are we being shortchanged if we get one screener to listen to thousands of demoes? Does TAXI employ enough people? I think AJ made the point about being the unfortunate person whose CD is the last to be listened to on a Friday....even though TAXI says 'it's not a competition' you can't tell me that a person wouldn't be tired by then, and this might affect his/her judgement. For that reason, maybe giving at least someone's list of credentials (and not his name) might be a good idea....it would be nice to know if this person is used to dealing with this type of work overload.*waiting for those tomatoes* Matto will correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to the screener I spoke to, he only screens for one shift (2 to 4 hrs). In that time he's lucky if he listens to & critiques 25 songs. And on a more sobering note, most of the time, none of the 25 listens fit the requirements of the listing. And, on an even more sobering note, they can have 400 to 1000 submissions for one listing. You have to be darn good to get in the top 6% of 1000 submissions.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Quote:Quote:I wonder if someone can answer this question of mine....this thread has me thinking about this issue. My guitar teacher always tells me that his ears 'are fried' after listening to too much music, so I wonder how much music these screeners are bombarded with for each listing. I seem to get the same screeners, and it's my guess that they are listening to hundreds of songs a day. Sometimes, my critiques all sound a like, like they didn't put much thought into it. Yes, I know this happens all over the industry.....people are bombarded with all types of demos to listen to.....but we are paying TAXI to listen to our demoes. So are we being shortchanged if we get one screener to listen to thousands of demoes? Does TAXI employ enough people? I think AJ made the point about being the unfortunate person whose CD is the last to be listened to on a Friday....even though TAXI says 'it's not a competition' you can't tell me that a person wouldn't be tired by then, and this might affect his/her judgement. For that reason, maybe giving at least someone's list of credentials (and not his name) might be a good idea....it would be nice to know if this person is used to dealing with this type of work overload.*waiting for those tomatoes* Matto will correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to the screener I spoke to, he only screens for one shift (2 to 4 hrs). In that time he's lucky if he listens to & critiques 25 songs. And on a more sobering note, most of the time, none of the 25 listens fit the requirements of the listing. And, on an even more sobering note, they can have 400 to 1000 submissions for one listing. You have to be darn good to get in the top 6% of 1000 submissions.Thanks, Hummingbird. You've given me a good answer to my question. Gives me some perspective now.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Quote:Quote:I wonder if someone can answer this question of mine....this thread has me thinking about this issue. My guitar teacher always tells me that his ears 'are fried' after listening to too much music, so I wonder how much music these screeners are bombarded with for each listing. I seem to get the same screeners, and it's my guess that they are listening to hundreds of songs a day. Sometimes, my critiques all sound a like, like they didn't put much thought into it. Yes, I know this happens all over the industry.....people are bombarded with all types of demos to listen to.....but we are paying TAXI to listen to our demoes. So are we being shortchanged if we get one screener to listen to thousands of demoes? Does TAXI employ enough people? I think AJ made the point about being the unfortunate person whose CD is the last to be listened to on a Friday....even though TAXI says 'it's not a competition' you can't tell me that a person wouldn't be tired by then, and this might affect his/her judgement. For that reason, maybe giving at least someone's list of credentials (and not his name) might be a good idea....it would be nice to know if this person is used to dealing with this type of work overload.*waiting for those tomatoes* Matto will correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to the screener I spoke to, he only screens for one shift (2 to 4 hrs). In that time he's lucky if he listens to & critiques 25 songs. And on a more sobering note, most of the time, none of the 25 listens fit the requirements of the listing. And, on an even more sobering note, they can have 400 to 1000 submissions for one listing. You have to be darn good to get in the top 6% of 1000 submissions.PS - and by the way, yes, they do listen all the way through
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Quote:Quote:Matto will correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to the screener I spoke to, he only screens for one shift (2 to 4 hrs). In that time he's lucky if he listens to & critiques 25 songs. And on a more sobering note, most of the time, none of the 25 listens fit the requirements of the listing. And, on an even more sobering note, they can have 400 to 1000 submissions for one listing. You have to be darn good to get in the top 6% of 1000 submissions.PS - and by the way, yes, they do listen all the way through Well, that's good to know, especially with some of my stuff. For the most part, I am satisfied with TAXI..... I always have just a few questions. In fact, despite some of my critiques I haven't cared for, I am satisfied with other critiques, so much so, that I plan on renewing my membership in May....and who knows, I might get lucky in the future. Thanks once again for your replies, Hummingbird.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Quote:Ha! Casey, don't feel too bad. I'm probably the redheaded stephchild of the board. My creds here are so low that when I tried to contact one of our board divas (had a payin' gig for her -- emailed her twice) she wouldn't even do me the common courtesy of a reply...I think I know why BC,That's not true, at least not by me. I always like reading your posts.Nomi

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Quote:Quote:[quote author=davewalton board=complaints thread=1173986815 post=1174081173]Thanks again for an excellent response... regarding reviews anyone is welcome to privately critique my catalog at www.williamkitchens.com (link to my broadjam account).Great sounding songs (don't know enough about country to critique it). I recognize your pic from somewhere, did you used to use it as your avatar?Thank you... I caught some of your nice compositions on myspace as well.Regarding the pix I did at one time till someone on another board made a comment I'd rather not repeat here...