Confused about this review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

franz
Active
Active

Confused about this review

Post by franz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 am

http://www.vrsound.com/taxi/artistindex ... .aspListen to the tune "Tomorrow Now":http://www.broadjam.com/FranzI am not sure how to read this one?Am I being accused of ripping off Pink Floyd or am I being compared to one of the biggest rock bands ever.I absolutely do not hear even a slight resemblance to any Pink Floyd music I know.No Hammond or Rhodes, no soaring guitar solo.On target for the listing, but not on target...?I don't mind not being forwrded here and I appreciate the time the reviewer took, thanks!yet a Very confusing review, I am not sure if I should be flattered or get ready for a lawsuit from Roger Waters and Co.

koopaloop

Re: Confused about this review

Post by koopaloop » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 am

I think that review is perfect.THe listing is for Film/TV library, so I guess they want easily categorizable tracks. And she/he is right about the la la part. It distracts. (But I did love it, and maybe you could expand that part into a song of its own)Yes it sounds a little like newer pink floyd. From the 90's without Roger Waters. BUt only in the chorus.And they echoey voice and talk about time.But not enough to say that it sounds like Pink Floyd.I think it sounds more like I Mother Earth. (if there was a little bit more harshness in the voice)But thats just me.KK

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 am

Quote:http://www.vrsound.com/taxi/artistindex ... .aspListen to the tune "Tomorrow Now":http://www.broadjam.com/FranzI am not sure how to read this one?Am I being accused of ripping off Pink Floyd or am I being compared to one of the biggest rock bands ever.I absolutely do not hear even a slight resemblance to any Pink Floyd music I know.No Hammond or Rhodes, no soaring guitar solo.On target for the listing, but not on target...?I don't mind not being forwrded here and I appreciate the time the reviewer took, thanks!yet a Very confusing review, I am not sure if I should be flattered or get ready for a lawsuit from Roger Waters and Co.I think what the reviewer was saying is that there is a very strong Pink Floyd influence to the overall sound and structure. I hear it too. not even close to a ripoff or anything, but your voice has some Roger Waters flavor to it - especially in places. Also the chord progressions and melody lines also remind me of some Floyd, as do a few of the guitar riffs. That's not a bad thing, and I think he offered some good advice on how to make it work in your favor. Enjoyed the tune btw--Aub

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:36 am

Voice sounds like Hawkwind's Silver Machine.

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

Thanks for the posts!I have been compared to a lot of singers but Roger Waters is one of the biggest yet. I realize that this tune is not library material which I also take as a compliment. Maybe Michael Laskow can get me in touch with Pink Floyd to get my tune on their next album......

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:07 pm

HeyI really like this track! I'm sure for many film/TV opps, the vibe of this track would do well.I think the reviewer could have been more concise by simply pointing out that this was an "MR" (modern rock) listing and this is not a modern rock track. (IMHO)... Again, IMHO, it leans more metal.But great track!All the best,Casey

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:28 pm

franz, I don't really find the review confusing at all, and it's very diplomatic. I can't say I like the song either. The reggae part doesn't belong. I'm not Simon, but the singing IMHO is atrocious, is it not? There is a big sounding song here worth developing, but the vocal and/or melody is supposed to be what sells the song. You still seem like an awesome dude! thanks for allowing us the opportunity to check out your tune. sorry I can't be more positivesteve

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Quote:franz, I don't really find the review confusing at all, and it's very diplomatic. I can't say I like the song either. The reggae part doesn't belong. I'm not Simon, but the singing IMHO is atrocious, is it not? On the Atrocius Scale of Singing 1-10 it's only about 5 and as for the Reggae bit in the middle,what about Live and Let Die.You shouldn't be quite so harsh SG.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm

OK, you're right, I was too harsh. I stand corrected.steve

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:02 am

Again thanks for evryone's responses, it's nice to get feedback from taxi members and co - $ 5 investors.I would like to know which Pink Floyd tune is in the reviewers mind the one that is most similar to my tune. I do use a Brit on guitar and a New Jersey drummer maybe there's something that reminds of Pink Floyd (I worked on their "Momentary Lapse of reason" tour and had the honor to party with Dave Gilmore but have not listened to any PF since then). The Chapman Stick bass on the other hand is totally Tony Levin. The reggea part does not belong.. I wanted it to be a tribute to cheesy old Elvis Hawaii movies....