Walter327

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Walter327

Post by walter327 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 am

Since I'm a lyricist, I'm not so musically inclined. I'm not sure exactly what a hook is, though I have an idea it's the main "theme". Chorus could be stronger? Vocally, as in sing it more emotionally, or re-worded? Not complaining. Just want to understand better.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Walter327

Post by pogodog » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:44 am

Quote:Since I'm a lyricist, I'm not so musically inclined. I'm not sure exactly what a hook is, though I have an idea it's the main "theme". Chorus could be stronger? Vocally, as in sing it more emotionally, or re-worded? Not complaining. Just want to understand better.Walter, I'm with you in the Huh? department. I suggest you try posting a copy of your critique and see i anyone can help you make sense of it all. BTW, a " Hook " is more specific then a songs main theme. It's a musical idea, passage or phrase, that's catchy enough to make the song stand out. " . Your basic hook, if there is such a thing, is usually a combination of the songs " title" and it's corresponding " melody." plus a hell of a lot more Just a thought: Being a " Lyricist only " means it is twice as important that we know Basic Music Theory - I not talking about learning the tonal frequencies (Hz) for every note in the blues scale, or the orchestral position of the Oboe ... just enough to make our way around a song - with confidence! There might even be a book titled " The Lyricists Guide To Music Theory " ... but i wouldn't quote me on that.Best of luck Walter,RanG

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Walter327

Post by walter327 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:16 am

Thankya. Much appreciated.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....