My first rejection -- I'm so excited

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

My first rejection -- I'm so excited

Post by aubreyz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm

I’ve never handled rejection well. I sold radio Ads for a while—was good at it, but couldn’t stand the rejection. I’m a little surprised that I’m so happy about my first Taxi rejection. The feedback was positive. I knew the listing was a stretch genre-wise, but the critique was dead on and very helpful. Worth every penny. The screener even suggested a chord progression to help one song – didn’t really expect that much input. It’s also worth noting that the screener echoed some very useful input by some posters here.If you are interested, here is the listing, the critiques and the two songs they correspond to.Quote: POP/ROCK ARTISTS a la Maroon 5, Rob Thomas, Sheryl Crow, Guster, Gwen Stefani, Goo Goo Dolls, etc. are sought by President of successful Music Library/Publishing Company with extensive film and TV Placements. He’s not just looking for someone with one great song -- he wants artists with numerous place-able tracks so he can pitch them [songs & as an artist] to various film/TV/commercial projects. Catchy hooks & melodies and smart/clever lyrics are all essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent sounding home recordings are OK]….TAXI # S060913PR Slip and SlideGood title and solid hook on it. works well in the tag.Freeze Meread overall comment box.Overall Comments: Dear Aub, song # 1 intelligent lyrics. good guitar hook. intense vocal delivery. Track could be more aggressive in the drum department taking an industrial approach a la Trent, or or an approach like Tool might work well here too. great guitar mood. song # 2 well, for sure you sing like you mean it. drum programming is cool in the verses but chorus needs to be more aggressive setting up more of a contrast between sections. After "wounds are gaping" you need a harmonic release to set up your chorus. try a bar of IIIm, II, followed by 2 bars of IV. then "freeze me". The melodic lift on "you're so cold ..." is great. Bridge is good. Loved the stop after "freeze me in the tag. Somewhat obvious, but works well with the lyrics without being too gimmicky.The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: Although some really imaginative elements, focused intensity and intelligent lyrics and hooks, the package is not exactly in the direction as requested by this listing. Pay stricter attention to the artist examples given and submit accordingly. it might increase your chances of a forward in the future. Good luck.The individual ratings were mostly 7’s and 8’s with a 9 for lyrics. Recording quality was okay, though I’m very aware of what needs to be tackled there.So why am I encouraged by rejection? I’m looking for improvement, and help in refining direction. That’s one main reason I joined Taxi. This submission not only helps me sharpen the arrow, but also helps me more clearly define the target.Aub

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My first rejection -- I'm so excited

Post by nomiyah » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 pm

Quote:I’ve never handled rejection well. I sold radio Ads for a while—was good at it, but couldn’t stand the rejection. I’m a little surprised that I’m so happy about my first Taxi rejection. The feedback was positive. I knew the listing was a stretch genre-wise, but the critique was dead on and very helpful. Worth every penny. The screener even suggested a chord progression to help one song – didn’t really expect that much input. It’s also worth noting that the screener echoed some very useful input by some posters here.That's a cute way to put it... Taxi should use this quote in their promotion!!!!! You know how to put words together, verified by listening to your lyrics. I think you have a great voice and great lyrics. Freeze Me is a serious hook!!!!!! I can hear a hit in there. I agree with the screener that the music production needs a harder edge, though the musical idea is good. I'd love to hear the end of the bridge push the music and vocals over the edge before you return to the groove. What do I mean exactly? I just know it when I hear it. With that amazing hook you really could make this a hit!!!! What did you do on the song: lyrics, music, sing, produce?Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:08 pm

PS, I've notice if I submit each song seperately, I get a more thorough review than if I submit 2 or 3 at once.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 am

Quote:The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: Although some really imaginative elements, focused intensity and intelligent lyrics and hooks, the package is not exactly in the direction as requested by this listing. Pay stricter attention to the artist examples given and submit accordingly. it might increase your chances of a forward in the future. Good luck.The individual ratings were mostly 7’s and 8’s with a 9 for lyrics. Recording quality was okay, though I’m very aware of what needs to be tackled there.So why am I encouraged by rejection? I’m looking for improvement, and help in refining direction. That’s one main reason I joined Taxi. This submission not only helps me sharpen the arrow, but also helps me more clearly define the target.Hey Aub,What it really boils down to (according to the reviewer) is just not reading the listing closely enough. That's pretty easy to remedy. And you're right. Critiques are exciting (or can be with the right attitude). I was thrilled to be in Cape Girardeau MO (where's that??) and getting professional critiques via Taxi to help me modernize, improve, focus my music. Good post.Dave

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:48 am

Quote:That's a cute way to put it... Taxi should use this quote in their promotion!!!!! You know how to put words together, verified by listening to your lyrics. I think you have a great voice and great lyrics. Freeze Me is a serious hook!!!!!! I can hear a hit in there. I agree with the screener that the music production needs a harder edge, though the musical idea is good. I'd love to hear the end of the bridge push the music and vocals over the edge before you return to the groove. What do I mean exactly? I just know it when I hear it. With that amazing hook you really could make this a hit!!!! What did you do on the song: lyrics, music, sing, produce?NomiThanks Nomi. Very encouraging. Everything on that track is me. My major limitation right now is time. The overall production and performances were rushed, and done late at night/early mornings - and the mix was not really done right. I like to mix with fresh ears after being away from the track for a while, but mixed this like at 2am after cutting all the vocals... not the best recipe for success. Some of the things that are wrong are just because I took the easy way out... like the chorus percussion -- it was just easier to cut and paste. Always intended to go back and jam it up...As far as I'm concerned this track is still in the demo stage, but the feedback and input here and elsewhere have given me some great insight about taking this to the next level. It takes time and commitment, which I have to be pretty protective of. I threw about a dozen demos together, most much rougher than this, to help evaluate hooks, style, etc. I didn't want to invest the time to master produce, until I was clear about direction. That clarity is beginning to happen, both from my own insight and outside input.I can't wait to get serious about this track - it is definitely worth investing in, but my production schedule is pretty tight right now. Gotta pay the bills too.And did I mention that we have 6 kids If only I didn't need sleep....Aub

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:20 am

Quote:Hey Aub,What it really boils down to (according to the reviewer) is just not reading the listing closely enough. That's pretty easy to remedy. And you're right. Critiques are exciting (or can be with the right attitude). I was thrilled to be in Cape Girardeau MO (where's that??) and getting professional critiques via Taxi to help me modernize, improve, focus my music. Good post.DaveThanks Dave.In this case, I thought I was pretty off target genre wise, but was too impatient to wait for the perfect listing fit - whatever that may be. I'm still not sure exactly what genre my stuff may fit in, but getting closer to defining that.After sitting on my thumbs for a decade and not really pursuing anything, getting feedback like this is hard to explain. After my wife read the critique this morning, she teared up. "It's so good to finally have somebody in the business recognize your talent. " She's been encouraging me for a long time to pursue this. I know this is still a rejection and am not putting too much stock in the feedback from one reviewer - the next one might hate it.But for me the dream is alive and well. I've never really seriously tried to succeed before. It was more like shooting at the moon with a BB gun - bar bands, crappy recordings blind submitted to a handful of labels that probably never made it out of the mail room, But... if only the stars would align. Now at least I know that it takes a rocket to get to the moon. These test launches are proving it's possible. The stars may still have to be aligned, but if and when that happens, I plan on having my spacesuit and capsule in shape for the trip.Aub

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:36 am

That's what I been doing wrong, Aub!! I been barefooting it.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:11 am

Hey Aub,I think you are taking the best approach toward using the reviews of your material and learning from that.So many times people (me included when I started submitting) take a rejection/not-forwarded personally and fail to take advantage of the information the reviewer has given us to improve.Best of luck in your future submissions. It sounds to me from the review you are just a few fixes and the right listing away from a forward!Best Regards,

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

My second rejection -- I'm not as excited

Post by aubreyz » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Quote:Hey Aub,I think you are taking the best approach toward using the reviews of your material and learning from that.So many times people (me included when I started submitting) take a rejection/not-forwarded personally and fail to take advantage of the information the reviewer has given us to improve.Best of luck in your future submissions. It sounds to me from the review you are just a few fixes and the right listing away from a forward!Best Regards,I just got my second rejection. Not quite as exciting as the first It was tougher to take. Not just because it was more critical, but more because I agree with the reviewer. Though once again, I knew that genre was a bit of a stretch, yet this review had the dreaded D word in it. "Dated." That hurts, because it's true and I know it. However, you can't fix what you don't know is broken. The shining light in all of this is that I'm getting high marks vocally. That's been my primary concern, especially with the dreaded dated factor. Songwriting, production qualities... that's more just sharpening the ax. Reason for not being forwarded this time--- not current enough sounding for the listing. Well, that's no huge shocker. Fortunately there was some valid insight about WHAT sounds dated and suggestions about how to remedy it.Although I'm not as excited this time, I am just as confident that these things are fixable.Aub

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:05 am

I have found that too, Aub... the most useful critiques are the hardest ones to take gracefully BECAUSE YOU KNOW THEY ARE TRUE!! I've been struck with some of the same reality checks in my Taxi submissions--but at least with them I know why they rejected the tunes... unlike when they land on some A&R guy's desk never to be heard of again.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin