Deciphering A Critique - Need Help

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Deciphering A Critique - Need Help

Post by stuartleggat1 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi All...Got this critique back from Mr. Critiquer and having a real hard time understanding his contradiction - well, it`s a contradiction to my way of reading it...I`d be much obliged if someone with a degree in deciphering would check this out and let me know where I`m going wrong - or he is.Seems in one breath he`s saying it`s a great song to be played live or, in other words; it`s great in melody and lyrics to be played live. Then he says the opposite; weak in melody and lyrics - not unique enough.Below are the comments and direct link to it should you want to check it out:http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtra ... =45270Name: stuart leggat Listing # S060821CO Song Title: Did You Ever Get The Blues? Play Song:Overall Comments: stuart, most of my comments are under the catagories. i will say that this is a great track , well performed and lots of charm! why am i not forwarding it? it's a great song for a live show and a dancing crowd, but the lyric and melody are simple not fresh or unique enough for a major artist. listen a bit more to the radio and compare and contrast. this is not an insult, it's just that it's that important to think outside the box writing-wise. So, it`s a great song for a major act to do in a live show, but then not good enough for a major act because it`s not original enough in lyric and melody - must be the Irish in me (`Thick Mick`), stopping me seeing the obvious logic of this... Thanks for reading,Stu

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Deciphering A Critique - Need Help

Post by andreh » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 pm

Hi Stu-I think the screener's comments are consistent. Songs performed live are more about energy, liveliness, and drama...a good performer can bring the house down with a mediocre or even bad song.A recorded song has to stand solely on its sonic merits since there's nothing visual to distract the listener from its flaws (such as a pretty face, a shaking booty, or a mouth full of metal "grill", as is often seen on today's videos to good and bad songs).One could choose to view this critique as inconsistent and not learn or grow from it, or one could choose to see the point the screener is making (even if his wording may not be absolutely crystal clear) and possibly use it to improve the song.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:39 pm

Quote: Seems in one breath he`s saying it`s a grat song to be played live or in other words; it`s great in melody and lyrics to be played live. Then he says the opposite; weak in melody and lyrics - not unique enough.Below are the comments and direct link to it should you want to check it out:http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtra ... =45270Name: stuart leggat Listing # S060821CO Song Title: Did You Ever Get The Blues? Play Song:Overall Comments: stuart, most of my comments are under the catagories. i will say that this is a great track , well performed and lots of charm! why am i not forwarding it? it's a great song for a live show and a dancing crowd, but the lyric and melody are simple not fresh or unique enough for a major artist. listen a bit more to the radio and compare and contrast. this is not an insult, it's just that it's that important to think outside the box writing-wise. So, it`s a great song for a major act to do in a live show, but then not good enough for a major act because it`s not original enough in lyric and melody - must be the Irish in me (`Thick Mick`), stopping me seeing the obvious logic of this... Thanks for reading,Stu Stu -- he's saying this song is great for the local bar band and dancing crowd, but not original enough for a major artist. I haven't listened yet, so I don't know if I agree with that opinion, but that's what I understood from the critique.Aub

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:28 pm

Quote:but the lyric and melody are simple not fresh or unique enough for a major artist. listen a bit more to the radio and compare and contrast. this is not an insult, it's just that it's that important to think outside the box writing-wise.What he's saying seems to be consistant with all the other critiques you've received from Taxi (that you posted) and from the all of the forum members who took time to listen to your music and comment. The posts also seem to say that your songs are catchy and fun so they do have an overall appeal. But if you're submitting to current artist listings requiring a modern style and innovative lyrics then that's what you'll have to have IN ADDITION TO the catchy, fun aspects of your songwriting.You're not in a vacuum on this. I went through exactly this same thing with modern electronica music. My sound and style were outdated. Some critiques were specific, some weren't, but they all said the same thing. Nobody was telling me that my stuff was current and up-to-date and I knew that some members WERE getting told that.Outside of some specific recommendations for some songs, a lot of the reviewers said to really immerse myself in current electronica artists. Your reviewer here and at least one other reviewer on an earlier post have recommended listening, comparing, and contrasting what you hear from the major artists to your own writing style. The other reviewer mentioned an artist/album specifically. You may like your style and/or songs as is and that's fine too. Then it would be a matter of better targeting the music to listings that are closer to your style. From what I can remember about your first post, the critiques seemed that you were closer to getting forwarded on classic country than modern country. Only you can decide whether making improvements on your classic style is more suited to your goals than a revamp for a modern country style.Good luck, Dave

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Post by stuartleggat1 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:22 am

Hi Andreh,Aub + Dave...thanks for taking the time to check the comments out and give me your opinions...slowly, but surely, I`m getting a better grasp of what`s required and for what listings.Cheers, Stu

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:43 am

Finally got a chance to listen. Yeah, it's an excellent track!! I have to say, though, that my first reaction was that I was in a country music hangout with a beer in my hand and this was being played by the band on stage.So, I love it but I can see why it would not get pitched to a major Nashville artist. That being said, there are tons of outlets to market your music and TAXI is not involved in many of them- it's not in their business model. Congrats on your successes with the song! I got my first ASCAP royalty check ($7.45 LOL) a few months ago and it meant a lot to me. It was for a song, recorded by a country-pop act, that TAXI never forwarded for Nashville artist acts. TAXI did not feel the lyrics were strong enough, although some reviewers thought the music was. (I wrote the lyrics , a co-writer the music). I don't begrudge TAXI for not forwarding it. I still think the demo, which is of excellent quality and by a great singer, will one day end up in film/TV..... or the song will be cut by another lesser known smaller due to my outside efforts.So, enjoy the success!! If you are doing something that works, just keep doing it!!Regards, Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:23 am

Quote:Hi Casey,...Re; your own country/pop number; why oh why don`t you spend between $75 and a few hundred dollars and get it out in Europe and far beyond?At the very least, you will re-coup your money via air-play and if it goes up fairly high, you`ll make a right good profit plus many, many other benefits...Best, StuWho and what is the $75 to a few hundred dollars for? Serious question... Casey

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:44 am

Hi Stewart,when I first heard this I liked it but it didn't have that immediate appeal and a tiny part of it reminded me of When I'm Sixty Four.However,I have listened to it several times now and with each listen I like it more and more so I think it's a "grower" and as such probably wouldn't catch the ear of a Taxi Screener who will only listen to it once.On a more general note,I think Country has changed so much in the past 5 maybe 10 years it owes very little to the trad Country that you obviously like.Modern Country to my mind is 70's melodies with usually very clever and of course very American lyrics and the songs are so over produced there isn't a micro second of dead air and of course the musicianship is brilliant.I think Randy Travis was mentioned by one of your screeners.When Country lost it's way in the eighties,as it has now,Randy came along and somehow got Country back to it's roots with great but very simple songs.Maybe that might happen again and who knows there could be a place for your songs.I always have the greatest respect for people who put there money where there mouth is,as you clearly do.Best of luck to you mate.Mick.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

stuartleggat1
Active
Active

Post by stuartleggat1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:07 am

Hi Lad...glad you asked. It`s the cost of puting it out via certain record companies who are well-established in getting unknow writers/performers airplay. I`ll get some info together and email you direct.Best, Stu

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:48 am

Quote:Hi Lad...glad you asked. It`s the cost of puting it out via certain record companies who are well-established in getting unknow writers/performers airplay. I`ll get some info together and email you direct.Best, Stuhmmmmm... a little suspicious when it is pay for play, but please send me the info.How do you know how much airplay it is really getting? Have you made more in royalties than you paid for play? Casey