First Critique

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

First Critique

Post by timejunkie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:06 am

I just received my first critique and I must say it was a fair assessment of the song.The reviewer made some very good suggestions that I may implement and for a first time out I'm very happy with the 7's & 8's I received. Particularly because this song has not received the full production and arrangement treatment as of yet.One thing I did notice was that I submitted 3 songs for this listing but only received 1 review. The other 2 songs are (IMHO) of better quality than the reviewed song. How do I know the other songs were even listened to? Does Taxi listen to the first song only?A friend told me it is best to submit songs individually that way you get a review of each song...is that the case? Anyway....thanks to the reviewer for a fair assessment and I look forward the bringing the song up to par.BTW...for those interested, below are the comments from the review and if you would like to here the song as it was reviewed it can be heard at my web site www.chipgallmusic.comCheers,ChipCool groove. The intro is engaging, though you could consider going to the all-important vocals a little quicker. Hooky chorus (in the truest sense of the word). You could consider shortening the second verse to keep the momentum of the song moving forward more. The song could be strengthened by a new bridge, which could briefly take us away from the already established chord structures and the root note of the song.Overall Comments: Hey Chip, your song features good musical and melodic parts, cool grooves and riff. The vocal delivery suits the material well. The musicianship is solid and tight. The production could be improved upon. The sound itself is good, it's the style of the production that seems almost a bit busy for "Metal". The programmed (looped?) drums work mostly well, but the added percussion seems a little busy for a metal or rock song. Focusing more on one powerful drum kit might help the issue. The song could be tightened up and amended to keep the listener engaged and focused more and to keep the momentum of the song moving forward more. I wish you good luck with everything. The sound is fine.The main reason you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: The material needs a little more work. Listener ID # 226

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: First Critique

Post by davewalton » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:48 am

Quote:One thing I did notice was that I submitted 3 songs for this listing but only received 1 review. The other 2 songs are (IMHO) of better quality than the reviewed song. How do I know the other songs were even listened to? Does Taxi listen to the first song only?A friend told me it is best to submit songs individually that way you get a review of each song...is that the case? Hi Chip,Be sure to contact Taxi about this. They are very customer-friendly, especially about stuff like this. You sent (and I'm assuming paid for) three songs for a listing and so you should have received separate critiques for each of the songs. You don't have to do anything special or send things a special way to get consideration on all the songs you submit and pay for. Depending on what the listing is looking for, sometimes the songs are forwarded or returned as a whole group, but mostly they're forwarded or returned individually. Two songs can be returned while one song gets forwarded. In any case, that $5 per song pays for the reviewers full consideration for each song you submit. It sounds like there was a mixup and that they only received and/or critiqued one song.For us, I think you forgot to mention the names of the songs you submitted, specifically the name of the song that goes with the critique. Guessing which song goes with the critique might be interesting. How about "the right guess wins $100!". Dave

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 am

Chip,I'd contact Taxi and ask about the critiques for the other songs. usually they are all on the same sheet if you sent it by mail, and in the same listing on BJ if you did it that way (and submit three at once).
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:21 am

Thanks guys!Sorry for the oversight....the song that was critiqued was "Hook". I thought I had submitted "Jaded" and "Heart Reaction" as well. I will have to check my records and contact Taxi to confirm.If I had the extra $100.00 I'd let you guess what song was critiqued but my wife would kill me!

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:01 am

I did find out what happened. Before the listing was due I deleted and re-uploaded two of the songs.Well apparently once deleted they are gone from the submission even if you re-upload new versions of the songs beofre the due date.Taxi did refund my $10.00 but that may have been a lost opportunity....This should be made clear to anyone using Broadjam to submit music.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:41 pm

I've got a question here for anyone with the answer. I am sure this answer is somewhere in these thousands of posts but I don't want to take the time to look for it. The question is: When one gets a forward to a music library should one follow through with a phone call or letter to the company?If so, then what is the preferable means of contact and what is the best time after being forwarded to do this? Thanks.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:23 pm

Quote:When one gets a forward to a music library should one follow through with a phone call or letter to the company?I'm pretty sure that this is universal advice. I never contact any company after getting a forward and I also never contact a company after sending demo music on my own outside of Taxi. Calling them will never make them ready and there is nothing you can say to cause them to make an "impulse" buy. It's all solely based on your music and what they need at the time. A library placement for me through Taxi came almost a year after I was forwarded. Calling, writing, emailing, wouldn't have changed that or at least not in a positive way. We have to operate on their timeframe and there is nothing that we can say that will make them operate on our timeframe. On the other hand, once I'm in a library, I definitely touch base with them from time to time to cultivate new music opportunities. Even then though, I don't bug them about anything I send in. I'd suggest, in addition to Taxi, sending out demos on your own. You can Google all kinds of opportunities. If you start sending out enough demos, you'll quickly rid yourself of the desire to call everyone because you'll be too busy moving forward and won't want to waste the time looking back. Good luck,Dave

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm

Quote:Quote:When one gets a forward to a music library should one follow through with a phone call or letter to the company?I'm pretty sure that this is universal advice. I never contact any company after getting a forward and I also never contact a company after sending demo music on my own outside of Taxi. Calling them will never make them ready and there is nothing you can say to cause them to make an "impulse" buy. It's all solely based on your music and what they need at the time. A library placement for me through Taxi came almost a year after I was forwarded. Calling, writing, emailing, wouldn't have changed that or at least not in a positive way. We have to operate on their timeframe and there is nothing that we can say that will make them operate on our timeframe. On the other hand, once I'm in a library, I definitely touch base with them from time to time to cultivate new music opportunities. Even then though, I don't bug them about anything I send in. I'd suggest, in addition to Taxi, sending out demos on your own. You can Google all kinds of opportunities. If you start sending out enough demos, you'll quickly rid yourself of the desire to call everyone because you'll be too busy moving forward and won't want to waste the time looking back. Good luck,DaveDave,You give good advice. Well said.Someone should cull through these forums and print the best posts in a book.Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:59 pm

Quote:I did find out what happened. Before the listing was due I deleted and re-uploaded two of the songs.Well apparently once deleted they are gone from the submission even if you re-upload new versions of the songs beofre the due date.Taxi did refund my $10.00 but that may have been a lost opportunity....This should be made clear to anyone using Broadjam to submit music.Chip,Other people have complained of this on the forum. I've learned from reading posts that you have to reupload, not delete. I agree it would be very helpful to have this clearly indicated on Broadjam.Music sounds good. The screener had some good comments. Keep it up.Nomi

timejunkie
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timejunkie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:28 am

It looks like Broadjam has changed the interface which now has a re-load option (or maybe I just didn't notice it before).BTW...thanks for the compliment! Chip