Somthing odd? And ranting...Lots of ranting....

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Somthing odd? And ranting...Lots of ranting...

Post by edteja » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:29 am

One reason songs get on the records & the radio is that the talent or the producer liked them, or wrote them. When unknowns submit (me, for instance), we are not competing with those songs, but with the really good ones that are being considered. Finding trashy songs on the radio, even if they are successful, doesn't mean much. We have to learn to be better than the best songs, not the worst. And they have to meet standards. The standards might be right or wrong, but they exist. In my opinion, one of the benefits of being in Taxi is getting help learning what those standards are. I've learned a great deal in a few months and it is sharpening my song writing skills...and not just in terms of writing for commercial markets. I feel I am understanding the process more every day (cause I am writing every day). The feedback has helped me understand the feedback from outsiders as well, in terms of reading between the lines. Matto's explanations of genre, comments from people who have not gotten forwards as well as those who have, all help, especially when I add them to the info on the critiques. I try things, adapt them, and see if I am achieving the goals.So, for me at least, Taxi is worth the money even though I am the "Submission returned" poster child. As Robert Ringer said, if you aren't being successful, check your face for slap marks; if there aren't any, you aren't trying hard enough.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:45 am

Quote:One reason songs get on the records & the radio is that the talent or the producer liked them, or wrote them. When unknowns submit (me, for instance), we are not competing with those songs, but with the really good ones that are being considered. Finding trashy songs on the radio, even if they are successful, doesn't mean much. We have to learn to be better than the best songs, not the worst. And they have to meet standards. The standards might be right or wrong, but they exist. In my opinion, one of the benefits of being in Taxi is getting help learning what those standards are. I've learned a great deal in a few months and it is sharpening my song writing skills...and not just in terms of writing for commercial markets. I feel I am understanding the process more every day (cause I am writing every day). The feedback has helped me understand the feedback from outsiders as well, in terms of reading between the lines. Matto's explanations of genre, comments from people who have not gotten forwards as well as those who have, all help, especially when I add them to the info on the critiques. I try things, adapt them, and see if I am achieving the goals.So, for me at least, Taxi is worth the money even though I am the "Submission returned" poster child. As Robert Ringer said, if you aren't being successful, check your face for slap marks; if there aren't any, you aren't trying hard enough. The double standard is real. Accept it or get out of the business. New, unknown writers are held to an incredibly high standard that established writers or those with connections are not. If a known writer presented a song to an artist but the artist didn't like 1-2 lyric lines, they would consider the song with minor changes. We don't have that option.... Sad but true... Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:21 am

Ed absolutely hit the nail on it's head. There comes a time in every songwriter's life when we realize that we need to successfully compete against the best songs out there, not the bad or mediocre ones.And before we complain too much about life not being fair and such, let's remember that just about every successful writer or artist had to go thru the same thing. Kenny Chesney for example (who sings and I believe wrote one of the songs mentioned by toncart) slaved away for years and years to become the star he is today, being told by just about every label that he would never make it with his "horrible nasal voice", "premature baldness" and "dorky songs" etc etcYet he persevered anyway...why shouldn't we?

gunter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by gunter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:54 am

Quote:...let's remember that just about every successful writer or artist had to go thru the same thing. Kenny Chesney for example (who sings and I believe wrote one of the songs mentioned by toncart) slaved away for years and years to become the star he is today, being told by just about every label that he would never make it with his "horrible nasal voice", "premature baldness" and "dorky songs" etc etcYet he persevered anyway...why shouldn't we? ...and Mark D. Sanders, Quote:What is your (Ralph Murphy) favorite success story? You'd have to be looking at Mark D. Sanders at the moment. He has the #1 and #2 records. He has like six in the Top 20. He languished around here for ten years before he finally cracked it. He was just writing everyday and pushing and kicking. It's quite astonishing to look at the charts and see him stacked up there.What are the songs that are happening now?"Don't Get Me Started," #1. "Daddy's Money," #2. "My Heart Has a History," #18. "Blue Clear Sky" by George Strait which was #1 about three weeks ago. He had a couple more up there recently that have since dropped off. Well that's not too bad. Four songs in the Top-20! Yeah, he's doing real well. And it took him ten years to do it. Well, that's the reality. Sure. What can I say?

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:24 am

2 more cents...sharp or flat I hate taxi reviews. I love taxi reviews. I'm an artist. I, I, I. Will be taking advantage of networking opp that occured recently. Guess what, as ticked off as "some" review critiques have made me, I will be using those same songwriting conventions to improve my chances of going from a fly on the wall to a cut on a cd shortly. In particular; a pre chorus lift into the chorus, with strong sectional contrast to really make the chorus stand out. And, as Jeff Steele pointed out, my chorus' will use as many half and or whole notes as appropriate. Tho I've written hundreds of good songs over the years, these (taxi) radio ready writing conventions have helped above mentioned networking opps to bear fruit. Yep, there are some shoddy, and down right ignorant reviews every now and then, but over all, my efforts to crack pop radio have been improved exponentially by taxi. best,bc

toncart
Impressive
Impressive

Post by toncart » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 am

Quote:Ed absolutely hit the nail on it's head. There comes a time in every songwriter's life when we realize that we need to successfully compete against the best songs out there, not the bad or mediocre ones.And before we complain too much about life not being fair and such, let's remember that just about every successful writer or artist had to go thru the same thing. Kenny Chesney for example (who sings and I believe wrote one of the songs mentioned by toncart) slaved away for years and years to become the star he is today, being told by just about every label that he would never make it with his "horrible nasal voice", "premature baldness" and "dorky songs" etc etcYet he persevered anyway...why shouldn't we? I agree with alot of what you are saying. We do need to compete against the "good" songs. That will only make our songs better. Even the "bad" songs must be good sometimes though because we make them hits for the artist because sometimes "bad is good". A lot of the embarassing country songs are my guilty peasures. I don't want TAXI's screeners only looking for the next "The Dance" or other gem that is so rare in country music. Those songs are few and far between and we know it. I have not had any response yet to any of my submissions, so I don't want to sound negative, I just want to be treated fairly. If a screener listens to my songs and knows immediately that they are not instant classics, but knows that it could be a commercial success with the right artist, I expect to get a forward. I personally joined TAXI to get my songs "out there". I did not join TAXI to become a better songwriter, although the process is going to make that happen regardless. There are other organizations that I use for building songwriting "chops". I joined TAXI because it was a vehicle to get my songs in the hands of people who can do something with them. Let's be honest here, we all think our songs should be in the hands of the right artist. Right? Some will make the cut and some will not, but hopefully the screeners will get it right. Posting on here is tough. For every person that has a concern, 3 people come to TAXI's defense. I guess that is a good thing, but honestly, how many hit songs has TAXI been a part of? I would love to see the statistics on how many songs have been submitted over the years compared to how many songs got forwarded and cut by an artists. I'm speaking from the country standpoint. I know that a couple of guys had a hit with Kenny Rogers, but I can't really find much else. If the success stories are out there, I want to hear them. I'm needing some confidence in what I am doing here. Am I playing the musical lottery or what? Is it still a one in a million chance to get a song heard? I joined TAXI in hopes to make those odds better. We will see.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:44 am

I suggest you get a refund from Taxi and start looking for a manager or a publishing company. If your songs are as good as you think they are then a manager will promote them for you.You're approach to Taxi seems to be that you send them the songs and they forward 100% of them. If you're not happy with the way the system works then why don't you just leave Taxi instead of banging you're head against the forum door. You're not really doing yourself any favours.They offer a full refund...what's the problem?You keep asking to see proof of Taxi's success.....what if Taxi asked the same of you? How many hits have you had? How many placements have you had? Why should they represent YOUR music? You could be doing them an injustice here.Your approach is counter productive. It's aggressive and frustrated and comes off very negatively. A manger would make a good barrier between your bruised ego and any company that might want to do business with you.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:52 am

Quote:I don't want TAXI's screeners only looking for the next "The Dance" or other gem that is so rare in country music. Those songs are few and far between and we know it.Well, it's really the party who places the listing who determines what the screeners will be listening for. If they're only interested in stuff that's on the level of "The Dance", the screeners will be extremely tough. It's been my experience that when a Nashville company places a listing with Taxi, they usually are looking for exceptional material. Because "good" songs are a dime a dozen in Nashville; nobody even needs to move a finger to "find" those.This is not Taxi's fault of course, it's simply a reality of the (country) music business.

toncart
Impressive
Impressive

Post by toncart » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:27 am

Quote:Quote:I don't want TAXI's screeners only looking for the next "The Dance" or other gem that is so rare in country music. Those songs are few and far between and we know it.Well, it's really the party who places the listing who determines what the screeners will be listening for. If they're only interested in stuff that's on the level of "The Dance", the screeners will be extremely tough. It's been my experience that when a Nashville company places a listing with Taxi, they usually are looking for exceptional material. Because "good" songs are a dime a dozen in Nashville; nobody even needs to move a finger to "find" those.This is not Taxi's fault of course, it's simply a reality of the (country) music business.I hate to agree with you, but you are right. "Good" songs are everywhere. It's just that when I hear an "ok" song on the radio, I can't help but think, "Why couldn't they just play my song?"

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:03 am

Quote:It's just that when I hear an "ok" song on the radio, I can't help but think, "Why couldn't they just play my song?" I don't think there's a songwriter alive who hasn't had that thought... Also...a comment on something else you mentioned in your previous post: If we're gonna be completely honest, I think not one of us initially joined Taxi because we wanted to become better songwriters ...we all thought we were plenty good enough and wanted to simply take advantage of the opportunities Taxi offers.Then we got our first rejection... . Some people simply get pissed off and even discouraged by a negative critique and a return/rejection. They blame Taxi and usually quit in short order.Other people also get pissed off ...but after stewing for a while, look at that critique again and, in the privacy of their own homes....admit that the screener might actually have a point...or two. Thus a learning process begins. And for people who have the perseverence, and the willingness to learn, and a true passion for what they do, that process often ultimately leads to success. It usually takes a while though. Taxi is definitely NOT a get-rich-quick scheme. And it's definitely not easy...more like a love-hate relationship of sorts...until you get your first bonafide success...then love tends to get the upper hand ...matto