Somthing odd? And ranting...Lots of ranting....

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Somthing odd? And ranting...Lots of ranting...

Post by davewalton » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Quote:I'm glad to see our heated argument die down... Anyway, I was pleased to come back and see a nice response after all thats happened. Thanks again, and when my album is finished, maybe I will come back and let you know...I definitely will be celebrating as it's taken for ever, and I'm getting very close to the end...depending on how things go, I'm aiming for around Xmas.Thanks.Now that we know your name... Hi Will,If you didn't catch my apology in an earlier post I did sincerely offer an apology for the one post I made. I just got caught up in the craziness, it seemed like it had gotten so far afield that I wound up chucking most of my sense of decency. I woke up very early the next morning and hoped to get to it before it was read but was too late. Anyway, without any fanfare, I'm really sorry for the ridicule. Not that you'd want to after all this, but there are several people on this forum that don't belong to Taxi and yet still participate on the forum. They hang around here for a variety of reasons, some of them just having to do with fun but mostly for the learning aspect. Post some music whenever you get a chance. I mentioned in an earlier post that with 8's and a few 7's, that you're getting scores that some Taxi members only hope for. Good luck,Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Quote:One of the great things about my songs are the unpredictability that it brings, and it emotionally flows like an actual story would. I think this is a hard area for reviewers, because while some are intrigued, they still seem to be on the fence on weather or not it could catch on...and other people are just dead against it as they believe it HAS to be verse chorus verse. So really, I guess my issue is no different then ANYONE trying to bring something new to the table. Verse chorus verse is already proven, while my method is not. So theres alot of risk involved I think. It's just frustrating I guess because It's hard enough to break into the music industry doing the tried and true when your an unknown entity, let alone something as obscure as this.I think you're right that this is a problem not of Taxi but of the music industry in general. Sounds like what you're making is album music, something one would want to sit down in a quiet room and actually *listen* to , where as the record industry in general is looking for radio music, something you'd sing along to in your car while there's a lot of traffic noise and distractions going on...two entirely different kinds of things. If it's any consolation, there's LOTS of music that doesn't have a verse chorus form, from most classical music to something like Dire Straits' "Telegraph Road", so it's not like "unconventionally structured" music is a brand new thing that can't be successful or hasn't been in the past.I just think your best bet will be to go your own independent way, release your own album and figure a way to find your audience on your own. Once you build a following and rack up some sales, it will be a LOT easier to convince record labels that "this could work". Thanks to the internet, you now have a global audience at your fingertips and if you are smart and original in your marketing efforts, you should be able to build a large enough following to turn some heads.It's just a lot of hard work, but it has been done and can be done.Good luck with it. And I definitely wanna hear about the album when it's done...

doortoanima

Post by doortoanima » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:05 pm

Dave, apology accepted. I'm sorry for going off the head, it's just been a combination of things with me, and having difficulty explaining my problems just lead me to go on an angry speel.Johnny, I was able to prove that I'm capable and that should have been enough to get my point across. You posting sarcastic comments like:"I can't wait for xmas to come around so I can "read" about your new album!"doesn't exactly entice me to post my music. My main issue was retaining sound quality, so I wanted a good conversion. The reason for this is the fact that I've slaved for countless hours to get the quality at the level that it is. No it's not perfect, but I slaved to get it where it is, and if I am to present it, I would like to present it in a quality thats similar to the actual wave file.Matto....you were able to say what I was TRYING to express this whole time, you hit the nail right on the head! No I'm not being sarcastic, you really did. You are absolutely right, I AM writing an album for a deep listen as opposed to a quick tune from a car radio. I get what your saying and I agree. I think I'm reaching for a different customer then radio. I really have designed my music for a deep listen. What I find people reacting to my music like (people I know), is that they generally like the songs a fair amount when they first hear them, which makes them listen to them again. After a few listens they start to get the whole picture, and then they love it. I can see why this would not work for a pitch at a radio type of listing, I guess I was just hoping that I could get a listing to match what I was doing. In either case I think your right, I just might have to go independent, my friend Ryan has been telling me that for a good while now. Anyway, thanks matto, you made alot of sense with that post and I think your absolutely right. Anyways guy's, my girl friend is nagging me cause apparently I'm "ignoring her". Anyway, maybe I will check back from time to time, and maybe I will end up posting some tunes at some point. Anyway, glad things are O.K now. Thanks guys.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:23 pm

Quote:Anyway, glad things are O.K now. Thanks guys.We're all square. MP3 converters. My choice is iTunes. A free download for both PC and the Mac it converts a variety of formats from one to the other. I convert my WAV files to 192k MP3's and they sound great (at least when compared to the original WAV file). Oh... JohnnyDean1 is our self-appointed Ambassador Of Rabble Rousing. He's basically harmless. Think of him as a built-in tolerance tester and thin-skin toughener. It can be a boring forum without him.