High Action/Sports Instrumentals

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiogeek
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

High Action/Sports Instrumentals

Post by audiogeek » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Ok, here's my reworking of Electronic World for this listing. Think it's close? HIGH ACTION/SPORTS INSTRUMENTALS for various Film/TV placements are wanted by a very successful Production Music Library who has placements with ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, Disney, Discovery, Lifetime, Fox, USA and more. These instrumentals can be in a variety of styles, but they must sound current and contemporary. You'll want to think of sports highlights, exciting features of extreme sports, adrenaline-pumping advertisements, etc. If you take an orchestral approach here, it's suggested that it be blended with current-sounding instruments with "edge". These tracks need to be compelling dynamically, without a lot of motive/melodic repetition. Variation and momentum/build will be key for this one! Broadcast quality is necessary, though excellent home recordings should be fine.http://www.taximusic.com/stream/187051/ ... Sports.mp3

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: High Action/Sports Instrumentals

Post by anne » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:09 am

Definitely got my noggin bobbin'; I'd suggest more variations in the backing rhythm though rather than just the forward instruments to fit the genre more.

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:29 pm

I noticed a few things which might improve this piece.The dynamics seem to all be the same -- no builds, crescendos, etc. Even the long notes stayed exactly the same volume as they were being held. Some crescendos would add to the excitement and realism.I wonder about the use of tablas in this piece. They carry such a strong connotation of Indian music, even for the musically uneducated. When I picture "high action/sports music" with football players flying through the air, bodies crashing into each other, etc., the image of Ravi Shankar and the Maharishi don't seem to fit. The overall sound seemed a little dry. Adding some reverb could give it a more spacious sound.You might want to boost the low end a bit. It felt a little thin.Finally, the main melody sounded very familiar (A C D F G F D C D). It's pretty much note for note the ending phrase of the Mash tv show theme.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bRXauNsXv4You have the makings of an effective action/Sports piece. Some good editing will get you there. Just my 2 cents.Richard

audiogeek
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by audiogeek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 am

Excellent. Thanks, Anne and Richard. All good things for me to consider. I feel that this piece is indeed a work in progress, so your input is appreciated.I hadn't realized the similarity of the ending to the ending of the MASH theme. I'm not really familiar with that piece (I know, have I been living under a rock?), but it's a prime example of the thread on inadvertently plagiarizing a melody.http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... read=10651