A light breezy California feel...

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

A light breezy California feel...

Post by twilsbach » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:43 am

No ala's in this listing. and I'm stuck on the "california" part of that description. I guess I don't really know what that means. Anyone care to describe that in more detail for me? Maybe an ala or two?Here's the listing. (Dispatch)D080128AI - ACOUSTIC GUITAR INSTRUMENTALSare needed by the Music Supervisor for an Independent Feature Film. These instrumentals will be used for scenes involving driving and walking outdoors, with a sense of adventure. A light, breezy California feel is what's needed here. Mid to up tempo is preferable with a simple arrangement featuring a brisk tempo. The sonic landscape should be focused on the acoustic guitar rhythms and tone. License fees are negotiable. Broadcast quality needed [excellent-sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. As always, we will notify everyone via e-mail, whether your submissions have been Forwarded or Returned. Submissions must be received no later than Noon Pacific Daylight Time (California time), Monday, January 28, 2008. TAXI # D080128AI

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Re: A light breezy California feel...

Post by paults » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:22 am

Jack Johnson, perhaps? Call TAXI - they're in California, so they should know:)

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:38 pm

Light and breezy California. Freedom. And a convertible not a station wagon. Do you have a sense that major keys might work better for this one? That is my own feel.Not asking for a lot of instruments. The opposite. Keep it simple. They want to hear a lot of acoustic guitar. A lot of strumming, a wide open strum. Is one flute in there okay? Maybe so, but it must be guitar driven. That is where the question enters for me. By "driven" is meant precisely...?

keithl
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by keithl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:35 am

I was a little confused about that listing also. Not sure what to make of it.

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by nknjmes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 am

I've got a few acoustic tracks for this, and won't attempt writing something "breezy".

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jmather » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 am

Tim - glad you asked, I had the same question. Well almost - I'm wondering whether they're looking for full band stuff, fronted by acoustic guitar, simply a couple of guitars or both. This listing seems vague to me. Horacejesse seems to think simple, not a full band sound. I guess we'll find out...

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 am

Hi,Yeah, some "ALA's" sure would be great here.I'm taking a shot at this one for the heck of it. The listing mentions: "The sonic landscape should be focused on the acoustic guitar rhythms and tone" Based on that line I have a tune that has a soprano sax lead (melody) but the groove is from the acoustic guitar. Good luck to all!Bob

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 am

thanks for the input y'all, glad I'm not the only one who was scratchin' they head. I was initially thinking Jack Johnson, I think I'll head that direction see where I end up.Post 'em up when you get 'em done.PS--I'm freezing my ass off here in my concrete floor, basement studio in the middle of Indiana, wishing that I was in California, breezy or otherwise.

jmather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jmather » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 am

Tim - the Jack Johnson feel seems like a good route. I'm heading in a similar direction and trying to keep it simple. btw, the weather here is quite springlike and I sure am enjoyin it lol...! Can't wait to hear what you and everyone else comes up with.Justin

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:53 pm

i was thinking about submitting this instrumental.i feel it may not be acoustic enough, do you think i should save my five bucks? http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true
-- Marc Blackwell