Romantic Instrumentals- Is This Close?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Romantic Instrumentals- Is This Close?

Post by rfrey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:35 am

Hello everyone,After much work, I'm at a point where I would really appreciate any comments to see if I'm on track for the following listing:The Owner of a Music Production Library needs a wide variety of ROMANTIC INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. He is open to a large range of genres, everything from Jazz to Pop-Rock to Orchestral (just so it's emotional/romantic), and strong performances and clear musical motifs are essential. This production music veteran signed dozens of TAXI writers to his previous company, with button endings -- no fade-outs. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Jan. 7, 2008. TAXI # S080107ROhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=88280&stream=1Thanks for any feedback!Rich

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Romantic Instrumentals- Is This Close?

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Quote:Hello everyone,After much work, I'm at a point where I would really appreciate any comments to see if I'm on track for the following listing:The Owner of a Music Production Library needs a wide variety of ROMANTIC INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) for use in film/TV/commercials, etc. He is open to a large range of genres, everything from Jazz to Pop-Rock to Orchestral (just so it's emotional/romantic), and strong performances and clear musical motifs are essential. This production music veteran signed dozens of TAXI writers to his previous company, with button endings -- no fade-outs. This company offers a standard exclusive deal. Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Jan. 7, 2008. TAXI # S080107ROhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=88280&stream=1Thanks for any feedback!RichVery beautiful! I like it a lot! From a melody point of view, what's there not to like? It may come down to production and engineering, not my strongest areas. I hope some folks who do a lot of work with instrumentals for film/TV will chime in there. I'm not saying it's not good there, just that I don't know that as well as others.Great stuff Casey

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Quote:Very beautiful! I like it a lot! From a melody point of view, what's there not to like? It may come down to production and engineering, not my strongest areas. I hope some folks who do a lot of work with instrumentals for film/TV will chime in there. I'm not saying it's not good there, just that I don't know that as well as others.Great stuff CaseyVery nice Rich. This is one of those things where the quality of the production is kind of relative. By itself it sounds pretty good but when listened to against one of Matto's tracks for example, the quality of the piano and strings seems to suffer a little:Matto's Pianohttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=84056&stream=1 Your Pianohttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=88280&stream=1I can't remember which virtual instrument piano he basically uses but it wasn't very expensive. I could use a better piano too but the piano I do use (the piano that comes with EWQL Silver) is pretty good when I use it within its limitations. For film/tv, there is SO much competition (lots of "Matto's" out there) that if you have something to offer (like you do), that you don't want to be held back by even the smallest question regarding production and instrument quality.Fortunately, spending a couple hundred or less on upgrading instruments is usually a LOT easier than overcoming a lack of talent. I think your music is outpacing your sounds so it may be time to say "um, honey... I need to make a few purchases". Hope that all came out to be complimentary like it was supposed to.Dave

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think I do have a lot of work ahead of me production-wise. I'll keep hammerin' away at it. For the piano on this I am using Ivory which is really nice but I think I may have over engineered it somehow. I really need to bite the bullet and get a nice orchestral package like EWQL or something. I really appreciate hearing from you guys as I respect the work you all do.Thanks!Rich

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Quote:Quote:Very beautiful! I like it a lot! From a melody point of view, what's there not to like? It may come down to production and engineering, not my strongest areas. I hope some folks who do a lot of work with instrumentals for film/TV will chime in there. I'm not saying it's not good there, just that I don't know that as well as others.Great stuff CaseyVery nice Rich. This is one of those things where the quality of the production is kind of relative. By itself it sounds pretty good but when listened to against one of Matto's tracks for example, the quality of the piano and strings seems to suffer a little:Matto's Pianohttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=84056&stream=1 Your Pianohttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=88280&stream=1I can't remember which virtual instrument piano he basically uses but it wasn't very expensive. I could use a better piano too but the piano I do use (the piano that comes with EWQL Silver) is pretty good when I use it within its limitations. For film/tv, there is SO much competition (lots of "Matto's" out there) that if you have something to offer (like you do), that you don't want to be held back by even the smallest question regarding production and instrument quality.Fortunately, spending a couple hundred or less on upgrading instruments is usually a LOT easier than overcoming a lack of talent. I think your music is outpacing your sounds so it may be time to say "um, honey... I need to make a few purchases". Hope that all came out to be complimentary like it was supposed to.DaveOh, Dave, I loved the "um, honey... " quote. My wife was sitting nearby and the timing was perfect! I'll be making a purchase soon. Do you think there is a big advantage to EW/QL Gold over silver? Have you heard of Synful Orchestra? I did the 15 day trial of that. I havent tried any of EW/QL stuff before.Rich

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Quote:For the piano on this I am using Ivory which is really nice but I think I may have over engineered it somehow.Huh... I'm a little surprised but maybe not too surprised either. I bought East West Bosendoerfer 290 thinking I would finally have a great solo piano virtual instrument but I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'm not using it right or something but out of the box I thought it sounded really thin and tinny. The little Steinway that's almost lost in the EWQL Silver orchestral package sounds MUCH better (to my ears anyway). It's also included with Gold/GoldXP bundle with is now selling for $445I should probably just buy Kontakt and then buy whatever piano Matto uses. I need to let my debit card cool off a little though. BTW, I checked out your music on your site. I almost feel bad for saying anything about production... you've got some really nice tracks. But, I guess we should all shoot for the best within a reasonable budget.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Rich,I've been using Ivory for a while and it's a great piano library. After I've recorded a track I'll experiments with different pianos to see what sits better in the track.Also, ILIO ahd a booth at the Rally and I had the opportunity to hear Italian Grand and decided to add that library (nearly twenty gigs by itself)Matto uses Sample Tek pianos. There piano samples require Kontact 2 or 3 to run. http://www.sampletekk.com/proddetail.ph ... 04-FORMATI also own Gold and one of my goals for '08 is to get better at using various articulations to get closer to a real orchestra. It's a great instrument but dosen't work right out of the box like Ivory.ChuckBTW Stick has a post under the Sad instrumental posts . He had two tarcks forwarded using Ivory
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:47 pm

Here is another that got forwarded.It is hard for any fake piano to compete with a real 7 foot Kawai grand, The only thing helping the fake ones is the fact that we are all listening to mp3'shttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=84236&stream=true

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Jude,How did this get forwarded for this listing if the deadline for submission is Monday Jan. 7th?Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:04 pm

I listened to Matto's tracks that Dave provided and I can totally hear the difference. I'm thinking that I'm not using Ivory correctly. I tried the Italian Grand at the Rally too and loved it. As for the strings, I'm trying to get away with the cheap approach and its not working. I really am looking forward to getting a real orchestra package this year as well.