DOWN TEMPO/CHILL

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

DOWN TEMPO/CHILL

Post by jude3 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Does this hit the mark for this listing:AMBIENT/DOWNTEMPO/CHILL OUT SONGS & INSTRUMENTALS a la Massive Attack, Tosca, Zero 7, Morcheeba, DJ Shadow, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Portishead, Thievery Corporation, etc. are wanted by an Austrian Production Co. for an upcoming CD compilation to be released in Europe via a Major Label. Their deal includes a 5 year non-exclusive license as well as mechanical royalties paid based on the number of CD units sold. Broadcast Quality needed [great-sounding home recording OK]. Please submit one to three songs per CD/online, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Feb. 20, 2008. TAXI # S080220ELhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=87773&stream=1I just noticed this was in the dance/electronic category. I wonder why.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: DOWN TEMPO/CHILL

Post by hummingbird » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Cool track!! There seems to be about 8 to 9 seconds of space in the beginning, I'd remove that if you can. I don't know the a la's for this so can't comment on it's suitability for the listing, but I will say I could hear this used in a lot of film/tv opps. Good work,cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 am

Quote:Cool track!! There seems to be about 8 to 9 seconds of space in the beginning, I'd remove that if you can. I don't know the a la's for this so can't comment on it's suitability for the listing, but I will say I could hear this used in a lot of film/tv opps. Good work,cheersHummin'birdThanks.I liked your childrens music too.because i have a two yer old i probably listen to more of that stuff on tv than anything and surely yours is perfect.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:30 am

I'm just starting to get a little grip on ambient chill so take my comments with a grain of salt. Somebody like Zircon would know a lot more about this.For ambient chill it seems like it's produced a little heavy-handed. I only say that based on a Zero 7 track called "Milton At Midnight" that I'm using as an example for myself...http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 5199924The Zero 7 track is produced with light, organic sounds and has a very ambient, relaxed feel. I think it wouldn't take much for you to produce your track to have that same feel. As a track on its own I like it, as a track for this listing I might lighten it up, make it more relaxed and ambient. Dave

jude3
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jude3 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Quote:I'm just starting to get a little grip on ambient chill so take my comments with a grain of salt. Somebody like Zircon would know a lot more about this.For ambient chill it seems like it's produced a little heavy-handed. I only say that based on a Zero 7 track called "Milton At Midnight" that I'm using as an example for myself...http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 5199924The Zero 7 track is produced with light, organic sounds and has a very ambient, relaxed feel. I think it wouldn't take much for you to produce your track to have that same feel. As a track on its own I like it, as a track for this listing I might lighten it up, make it more relaxed and ambient. DaveI downloaded about 35 of them and listened for a couple of days.They range from sweet to cool to really raunchy. I did kinda what you suggested and did a mix of a couple feels. From what I have listened to it should be no doubt a down tempo/chill vibe but whether it's what a screener wants who knows?I really don't like this kind of music I just wanted to try my hand at it.I'll do another one that is more ambient soft. Just for you Dave.

rfrey
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rfrey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:45 am

I really liked this track. I know that doesn't help you to see if you are on the mark, but I found myself totally hypnotized by it. Nice production as well. Rich

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Hey Jude,I think this one is right on for the listing. I hear the Massive Attack influence here. I especially like the breakdown section and the last parts!On the mix side you will need to really watch the low end. It's very boomy and muddies the track. Try rolling off at about 100K.Good job!Cisco

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Quote:On the mix side you will need to really watch the low end. It's very boomy and muddies the track. Try rolling off at about 100K.Good job!CiscoCisco, either you've got the ears of a bat or you mean 100Hz! Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Quote:Quote:On the mix side you will need to really watch the low end. It's very boomy and muddies the track. Try rolling off at about 100K.Good job!CiscoCisco, either you've got the ears of a bat or you mean 100Hz! MazzHow does the way Cisco's ears look have any bearing on this?

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 am

Quote:Quote:On the mix side you will need to really watch the low end. It's very boomy and muddies the track. Try rolling off at about 100K.Good job!CiscoCisco, either you've got the ears of a bat or you mean 100Hz! MazzDOH!I was wondering why I've been hanging upside down!