CD must have a 12-digit UPC barcode

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bobmaloney

CD must have a 12-digit UPC barcode

Post by bobmaloney » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 am

CD must have a 12-digit UPC barcodeNot sure what this means. Does this apply to online submissions ? Any clarification would be helpful, as I wish to submit to some of these listings. Thanks Bob

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: CD must have a 12-digit UPC barcode

Post by gitarrero » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:16 am

I'm no expert in this field, but I think it's the barcode that identifies the interpret/label etc (unique code). so, if you don't have a cd with such a code on it, you don't hit the criteria for this listing I think.hope that helps,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

dcandco
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dcandco » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 am

Yea, the bar code is the little white sticker or printed label that all products have now days, that they scan at check out counters. Not only to register sales but to keep inventory, and accounting. Most, CD distributors or sellers won't touch a cd with out one. You can purchase one for as little as $20. From some CD manufactures, (Oasis) or from CD Baby when placing your cd for sale with them. And you also can get them in sticker form, and place them on your CD. You'd have to research how to go about that though.Good luck!Dave
www.dcandco.net ....It's live Music For Live People!!!!

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:49 am

Bob,if you can print the whole listing that may help.I believe this is only for pitches that are looking for an artist with a completed CD (possibly a distribution company or small label)They can not distribute the CD if they were not pressed with the barcode on the labels. None of the major retailers will sell a CD without it. (nothing to scan)Rob

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

Yep, all right answers so far... Discmakers and most any CD duplicator will generate this barcode for free these days. And yeah, I think the listing would specifically say it needs a CD with a barcode. You could still submit online, but when they call you to make the distrobution deal (or whatever it is they're wanting) they'll want you to send your actual CD to them probably.

southernhoosier

Post by southernhoosier » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:14 am

Hey Bob,I agree with the other answers; I recall that listing and they did say you could submit tracks for consideration without a barcode, however, they DO want a barcode on your completed CD (gotta have a barcode to sell it most everywhere -- except for downloads -- to the best of my knowledge).More than five years ago I purchased a barcode for my album (CD) at www.cdbaby.com.CD Baby offered album barcodes back then for $35. Other places I checked with wanted lots more. I haven't checked since then about the going rate for a barcode, however, I'm willing to bet CD Baby still offers a fair price. And there's no additional obligation (i.e., duplication, etc.).I was able to purchase the barcode only, then I used an electronic version of the barcode for my CD cover, which I designed and printed myself at home on my Mac. I also duplicated my CD's at home and labeled them myself, so I needed a place where I could get a barcode without having to order factory-duplicated CD's as part of the deal.Most music stores here in Mississippi (and elsewhere, I imagine) require a barcode before they can sell your CD/albums, so getting a barcode will help you with your own CD/album sales in addition to being able to meet requirements of the Taxi listing.CD Baby has sold my songs (CD's and downloads) and hosted my website for several years (www.hostbaby.com); Derek Sivers runs CD Baby (he was a speaker at this year's (and past years') Taxi Convention(s). The CD Baby website offers lots of articles and advice as well as music sales and web hosting; it's where I first found out information about how to get a barcode, etc. They also have credit-card swipers and other stuff like that available for indie musicians.Hope this helps!Katherine Dougan, Taxi memberwww.katherinedougan.com