What if your song was posted by another person ?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What if your song was posted by another person

Post by nomiyah » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:45 pm

Quote:Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies, I have contacted Taxi and the other party and we are going to work it out... Frankly I'm surprised this has not happened more, I did a search on "stolen", "plagiarized", etc.. on this forum and got no hits..... Unfortunately I have to spend a lot of time hunting down these things, for instance, we(Azureth) have a CD with international distribution that keeps popping up in record stores that we never distribute to, doing that alone is turning out to be a fulltime job, it seems every week I Google, I find new(many legit stores mind you !) places selling our CD !!What happens to the A&R person who might get the same song twice from different authors, would it get to them before Taxi catches the duplicate submission ? again grateful thanks for your insights !!Thanks to Google, I found my CD being sold in dozens of places I never authorized, even overseas. I can't imagine what to do about it.

stephengilbert

Post by stephengilbert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:52 am

Quote:Thanks to Google, I found my CD being sold in dozens of places I never authorized, even overseas. I can't imagine what to do about it.Welcome to my world nomiyah This one I deal with a lot, here is what I suggest; Everyone will have different distribution deals, some even do it themselves, so this may vary;In our case we have three major distributors; Balloon Music, Kinesis, and Syn-Phonic. For us it gets a little more complex because they also sell wholesale to other distributors worldwide, as a result we have to assume innocence before we get real nasty, on one or two occasions we did find they bought from our distributors !!1-Send a nice, polite email stating you saw your CD there and if you have a case like ours, ask who they bought the CD from, most of the times they will freak out and remove the listing right away.2-If they did not right away, remind them with a more terse letter, and mention that although it is a last recourse(legal fights leave a sour taste in my hippie soul), you will follow suit with legal action. 90% of the times that one does it, it never pops up again...3-Last recourse is to do exactly what Dave Walton suggested on this thread and get a lawyer to send them a "Cease and Desist" letter... I've had my lawyer draft two of these so far since 2004.If it gets to point 3 and you are interested, I work with a very good lawyer who is also a great musician and knows this stuff well, and it has only been recently that I have had to use him for these things as I personally abhor litigation, his name is Grey Tesh and I will ask him how much(I don't pay since I designed and maintain his website) would he charge for that letter and see if he gives you a deal.DO NOT let this slide, these people are making money out of your sweat, blood & soul. They are stealing, and you are not making a penny from their profit !!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:04 pm

Quote:Quote:Thanks to Google, I found my CD being sold in dozens of places I never authorized, even overseas. I can't imagine what to do about it.Welcome to my world nomiyah This one I deal with a lot, here is what I suggest; Everyone will have different distribution deals, some even do it themselves, so this may vary;In our case we have three major distributors; Balloon Music, Kinesis, and Syn-Phonic. For us it gets a little more complex because they also sell wholesale to other distributors worldwide, as a result we have to assume innocence before we get real nasty, on one or two occasions we did find they bought from our distributors !!1-Send a nice, polite email stating you saw your CD there and if you have a case like ours, ask who they bought the CD from, most of the times they will freak out and remove the listing right away.2-If they did not right away, remind them with a more terse letter, and mention that although it is a last recourse(legal fights leave a sour taste in my hippie soul), you will follow suit with legal action. 90% of the times that one does it, it never pops up again...3-Last recourse is to do exactly what Dave Walton suggested on this thread and get a lawyer to send them a "Cease and Desist" letter... I've had my lawyer draft two of these so far since 2004.If it gets to point 3 and you are interested, I work with a very good lawyer who is also a great musician and knows this stuff well, and it has only been recently that I have had to use him for these things as I personally abhor litigation, his name is Grey Tesh and I will ask him how much(I don't pay since I designed and maintain his website) would he charge for that letter and see if he gives you a deal.DO NOT let this slide, these people are making money out of your sweat, blood & soul. They are stealing, and you are not making a penny from their profit !!Stephen - Didn't notice this post before. I belong to California Lawyers for the Arts and get very reasonable lawyer fees. I do agree with you that songwriters deserve to be paid for their work and not have it stolen. But, even though it's wrong, I'd rather consider it promotional than take the effort to shut them down one by one. - Nomi

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 pm

We just found someone selling our CD on Amazon, Ebay and others with no permission. They are selling both demo / promo cds of us, as well as downloading the music off of itunes and then making a CD with cover art and selling it. The only legit ebay seller is us - This takes so much time to chase down it is really frustrating. Thanks for your post - I thought it was just us running into this problem.BTW - everything is copyrighted and we have Sesac.

hephaluemp

Post by hephaluemp » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:19 pm

- talking about ISRCQuote: So it does not matter if it is a CDor a MP3 your work will have an code embedded in it that will identify it as yours along with other relevant information.Kouly,Although this sounds like a good idea, it is - unfortunately - incorrect.The ISRC is allocated to one particular mix of a song, but not embedded in any ways in the soundrecording, so you will not be able to find out what the ISRC is on a song after it is ripped from a cd, unless you yourself tag it with the correct ISRC code, or you use a special software to rip with, that reads the ISRC code from the cd and tags the ripped file for you.Hepha Luemp
- just call me Hepha

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:49 pm

HL is correct. I obtained a ISRC code for my Kajon label about two months ago. I found a program that I use on my mac as post production finishing of tracks that will embed a code to the recording. The thing is though... there is no place to embed the ISRC in an MP3 file. It is added as the additional info to the file but not an embed. I haven't yet used the code on any recordings,.... figure they are mostly demo stage anyway.... and if TAXI keeps rejecting them I don't know why I would get concerned that some schmuck would rip them off..... once my tunes start getting forwards I'll start coordinating use of the codes..... The code is pretty easy to obtain.. but there is a limited supply.... ArkJack

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks for the info on credit card theft, Kouly. No, it wasn't a major retail site....I ordered some make up online because I have to use a special kind (skin with allergies) and I thought this place would be safe. It is the only business which manufactures this line of cosmetics....couldn't get it anywhere else. I've always been very careful. I know all the stuff pertaining to online security that you speak of, I just got complacent. I usually never order anything online anyway, but I took this chance. Oh well, it's straightened out now....won't let that happen again. I should have called them over the telephone to order, but you can get burned there as well......I'm being extra cautious now.