Why so many "NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI"?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

h2000

Why so many "NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI"?

Post by h2000 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm looking at a group of listings I pulled from the past 2 wks. They are listings which I will be submitting to or which I am just interested in. A full 80% of these listings are "No critique from TAXI" listings. Honestly, it doesn't bother me 'cause that's not really why I joined TAXI (although it is good to have outside feedback every now and then ). Anyway, I was surprised at what seems like a really high percentage, seeing as how the critiques are somewhat of a TAXI selling point. I know it's not a turnaround thing because some of the deadlines were 7 weeks from the list date. Also, only one was a screen by an outsider, so that I understand. But, does anyone know the reason(s) for these types of listings?

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Why so many "NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI"?

Post by gitarrero » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:09 pm

Quote:But, does anyone know the reason(s) for these types of listings? well I think that is obvious - yes/no decisions are made if the client (label, library, publisher...) want's to screen him/herself.so at the moment these folks seem to like to screen...;)I believe more taxi-critique listings will come again.
production, composition & stringed instruments

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:35 am

Quote:Anyway, I was surprised at what seems like a really high percentage, seeing as how the critiques are somewhat of a TAXI selling point. The critiques were THE selling point for me so having a low ratio like that is disappointing if it becomes a trend for any reason. Of course Taxi is the only place to find the real answer to your question. I'd give them a call or send an email.

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:46 am

Quote:The critiques were THE selling point for me so having a low ratio like that is disappointing if it becomes a trend for any reason. Of course Taxi is the only place to find the real answer to your question. I'd give them a call or send an email.I agree - if it becomes a trend that would be bad...

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 am

Matto explained to me awhile ago why some listings don't get critiqued:Quote:Quote:<snip>...but I'm still not making the connection to why "fast forwards" can't be critiqued. It is good that we're made aware beforehand when a submission won't be critiqued, but it isn't clicking for me why this is even an option. Okay, I think I'm just not doing a good job explaining it:There are two kinds of listings that usually do not get critiqued: Fast turnaround listings and those where the listing party themselves comes into Taxi to screen the songs.In the first case, there's a tight deadline, and since it takes a lot longer to critique a song than simply to decide whether or not it should be forwarded, there just isn't time to critique the potentially hundreds of songs Taxi may receive for a given listing. So, the submissions get screened on a yes/no basis, and those that are to be forwarded are sent out. At this point Taxi no longer has the CD's that were forwarded, therefore can't critique them after the fact.In the second case, the listing party comes into Taxi's offices to screen the songs. Now Taxi won't let just anybody critique their members songs, no matter what their statue in the industry might be. The screeners that Taxi hires to do the critiques all get training on how to do it properly, how to give constructive criticism, how not to insult the members , basically Taxi tries their best to make sure the critiques are helpful and of high quality. So while anybody who places a listing can come in and screen the submissions themselves, they won't be allowed to do critiques. Thus it has to be a yes/no listing.However, it occurs to me that online submissions could be critiqued by Taxi even after they forward the CD's they've created for the listing party, since the submissions still exist on Broadjam. Maybe Taxi will consider this approach?I've submitted 8 songs since I joined Taxi a month or so ago, and ALL 8 of the listings were "no critique given." I'm sure there will be plenty of listings for which I'll receive critiques in the future so I'm not too worried (especially given the excellent feedback you all give on this board)...but I also know Taxi wants to be doing everything they can to keep its members feeling good about their service. I personally value the access to the music industry Taxi provides more than the critiques, so if their current approach favors listing party happiness it's fine with me! Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

h2000

Post by h2000 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Andre, unfortunately, as I mentioned, most of these listings are neither of those cases that Matto mentioned. So the question remains.... If I have a chance, I will ask TAXI this week and report back.

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:18 pm

for what it's worth, i could care less about the taxi critiques-- i joined for the leads.i'm especially happy when the MS or whoever placed the listing listens to the songs themselves, w/o any screener involvement. i wish we could have more of those...sometimes i think the critiques can even lead to worse writing... one screener felt i should change the title of a song from it's 3 word hook--which as it is, quickly sets up the backstory, story, and emotional resonance of the song-- to a mathematical phrase.

h2000

Post by h2000 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:18 pm

Quote:i'm especially happy when the MS or whoever placed the listing listens to the songs themselves, w/o any screener involvement. i wish we could have more of those...Absolutely!

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 pm

I asked taxi and they told me that the next listings will have more "critique-listings"

gschmitt

Post by gschmitt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 am

yeah, man. i know. i was reading the listings, being a new member myself and i had the same response. i need some feedback, and it definitely is a selling point for me, too.