how does a "comedy instrumental" sounds..??

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

how does a "comedy instrumental" sounds..??

Post by gitarrero » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Hi there,concerning this listing:"Listing:Huge Production Music Library/Publisher looking for master quality COMEDY INSTRUMENTALS for use in corporate videos, TV, film, radio, and commercial productions. They need funny, quirky, TV sitcom-like material. Prominent melodies not required. Please submit one to three pieces online or per CD; 60 sec. to 3 min. is the recommended length for this pitch. They offer a very fair exclusive deal with a 5-year reversion clause. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI.TAXI # S060908CY"...I wondered how a comedy instrumental sounds...?Has anybody an mp3-example to post?that would be great.thanks in advance,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: how does a "comedy instrumental" sounds..??

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:36 am

Personally, I think that "comedy" music is the hardest to pin down or define. Try searching for some music libraries and listen to the tracks that they have in their "comedy" sections. When listening to those, keep in mind what the listing is asking for, "funny, quirky, sitcom-like". I've heard a lot of music in "comedy" sections that's really pretty straight forward. I think you want to avoid those as examples.Hope that helps,Dave

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:43 am

>>>> How does a "comedy instrumental" sounds..??Me, playing lead guitar on one of my own songs!! Casey

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:32 am

I did submit to this listing...I also found it a bit difficult to define what a comedy instrumental is - I'm old school enough to think Raymond Scott, Carl Stalling, and/or Spike Jones. In the end, I ended up trying something that was a cross between Evan Lurie (Oswald the Octopus) and Yann Tiersen (Amelie)...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:02 am

It's pretty much wide open stylistically...pretty much anything that makes you chuckle...or worse http://www.studiocutz.com/product_info. ... /3225These range from silly to ridiculous and should give you some ideas...(btw I wrote tracks 1, 4, 6 and 7 on that disc ). You can also search just about any music library for more examples/inspiration.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:48 am

Quote:It's pretty much wide open stylistically...pretty much anything that makes you chuckle...or worse http://www.studiocutz.com/product_info. ... /3225These range from silly to ridiculous and should give you some ideas...(btw I wrote tracks 1, 4, 6 and 7 on that disc ). You can also search just about any music library for more examples/inspiration.Oh my... OK, I now don't feel so bad posting this goofy-ass theme I did for a comedy film earlier this year. It's nowhere nearly as on-target as "Cousin Virgil", etc. I usually never play this for anyone, just in case they get the wrong idea that this is my "style". www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/Ruddige ... 3Seriously, kudos to Matto for comedy creativity above and beyond the call of duty. It's awfully brilliant and brilliantly awful at the same time. I take back what I said earlier. Comedy music isn't hard to pin down or define, I just didn't yet know enough to do that, but I learned a LOT today from Matto's post that's for sure. Dave

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:00 am

I haven't had a chance to listen to matto's or dave's tunes...here's one of mine:http://www.dougsparling.com/music/promo/spariam/

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:29 am

Hey,thanks a lot for all the postings... *zong* *Martin scratches his head* - shure, listen to the catalogue of music libraries would have been the easiest & fastest way to answer my questions - by myself;)thanks anyway!Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:48 am

I just want to say great job on the songs matto, Dave and Spariam. Thanks for posting them, it's always fun to hear what other people are doing. I'll join in the fun and post a fun one we've done too:www.callthecow.com/Streaming/Apocalypse ... Me.mp3This genre is one of my favorite to work with because anything goes, and the cheesier the better!Theresa

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Quote:Hey,thanks a lot for all the postings... *zong* *Martin scratches his head* - shure, listen to the catalogue of music libraries would have been the easiest & fastest way to answer my questions - by myself;)thanks anyway!MartinI'm REALLY glad we got some postings. Matto's stuff really set a much higher bar for that kind of stuff (or maybe just expanded my horizons a little) so I'm very glad you posted your question.Seems like I learn something new each day. Dave