Help me understand this one

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Help me understand this one

Post by nomiyah » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:01 pm

The listing S060725EL says "And stay away from MIDI and synth/Casio-sounding tracks."Can anyone tell me some songs to listen to where I can hear the type of sounds they don't want? Most studios use midi instruments of some sort. The full listing is below. Thanks.NomiThe President of an established Music Library/Publisher is seeking great sounding ELECTRONICA/DANCE INSTRUMENTALS in all styles -- from Breakbeat to Techno to House to Jungle to Downtempo to Trip Hop -- for placement in film/TV projects. No vocals, please. An interesting 1-5 second riff at the top of your song is helpful -- it’s good to establish the style from the get-go -- but not necessary. And stay away from MIDI and synth/Casio-sounding tracks. The President is a successful TV music composer and used to be a TAXI Screener himself. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than July 25, 2006. TAXI # S060725EL

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Help me understand this one

Post by matto » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi Nomi,I think the keyword here is "Casio", as in "cheesy sounding".I agree it's funny to say "stay away from midi and synths" in an Electronica listing , but I think what happened is this company is probably running several listings in different styles, and they just copied/pasted the wording...So I think what they want is music in various Electronica styles that sounds as close as possible to the real thing, not cheesy, cheap sounding imitations.matto

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:18 pm

No cheese! Many people think of the small, fake sounds a generic computer sound card makes when you say "MIDI." Of course, MIDI doesn't actually make any sound at all...it just tells other pieces of gear what notes to play (among other things).As you point out, Nomi, many of us use MIDI all the time in our productions, which I'm sure this lister doesn't have a problem with. I think they're just looking for professional-sounding tracks as opposed to the amateur sound that comes from some consumer gear (or some pro gear in the wrong hands).HTH,Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:20 pm

As for reference songs, Nomi, you can Wikipedia the electronic subgenres they list for some great artist examples.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:57 pm

thanks matt and andre. that's what i was hoping to hear. i associate "casio" with a cheap toy keyboard. i couldn't imagine electronica without midi or synths.good advice for research, andre. i do that for every listing, but it's worth repeating.nomi