Confused by Percussive Listing

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sonicart

Confused by Percussive Listing

Post by sonicart » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:15 am

This is a current Dispatch Listing:DRUM/BEATS/PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTALS OF ALL STYLES -- Electronica, Drum N Bass, Hip Hop, Rock, etc. etc. -- are needed by an East Coast Music Library/Publisher that has signed & placed dozens of TAXI songs through the years. NO VOCALS. He wants tracks that are in the :30 to 2:00 minute range. If he likes your track and is interested in signing a deal, he'll also want :30 & :60 second edits as well. In fact, he'd prefer to hear tracks that are indeed :30 or :60 seconds each, but it's not necessary at this point -- just preferred [it'll be easier for him to pitch quicker]. Also, your pieces must have endings -- no fade-outs. He offers an exclusive deal with a reversion clause [typically 2-5 years]. Broadcast quality needed [excellent-sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. As always, we will notify everyone via e-mail, whether your submissions have been Forwarded or Returned. I'm a little confused. 2 mins of rock percussion is going to be pretty tedious. Is there to be no instrumentation other than drums? Can anyone here shed a little light or reference a similar piece as there's no 'ala' here.Thanks!

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Confused by Percussive Listing

Post by roughly » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:03 am

Hi Sonicart,Yeah, I was confused by this too. I called up taxi to ask and I got an unsure, "Um yeah, I think it would be alright to have other instruments in there too probably." So, that's the official taxi response...sort of. theresa

sonicart

Post by sonicart » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks Theresa, I've emailed them also and will let you know what their response is. I listened to the 'percussion' sections of a few production libraries where a guest user can audition the tracks. The majority of the tracks had additional 'melodic' insturmentation between percussive instruments.Still interested to hear anyone else's opinion though.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi guys,I'm on this particular publisher's mailing list since I have a few tunes placed with them...The exact quote from their email to composers they already work with is:"Beats: Drum; drum and percussion; drum and bass"So I wouldn't put anything other than drums, percussion and bass.Also they would really prefer 30s and 60s cues as per their email (as the Taxi listing also states), so it's probably pointless to do anything over a minute. If you're gonna do 30/60s make them 30/60s "broadcast length", i.e. with the final down beat hitting right around 29 or 59s, give or take a half second depending on the tempo of your cue.One more thing the email said was "put your personal stamp on the beats."So it's probably a good idea to make it a "rhythm composition" of sorts, rather than just use the soloed drum tracks from a rock song. Hope this helps.matto

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:27 am

That helps tons matto. Thanks!