jazz standards

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: jazz standards

Post by suzdoyle » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:07 pm

Hey Mazz & Steve --Awesome songs! Wonderful vocals and arrangements.I love that Fly Me to the moon had it's verse included.Scrumptious!Suz

jodyg

Post by jodyg » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:13 am

Wonderful sound, heart felt and a truly talented team.PeaceJG

slotter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slotter » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 am

Mazz.. a little late as this all happened in May! but I'm a forum newbie.Anyway.... great sounding recordings.. don't understand why they didn't get forwarded.. I've heard (and played with) much much worse! I dont understand peoples ears sometimes! Not too keen on the groove version of They Can't Take... but I've never been a fan of funking up standards. Great sax playing on it though.Better luck next time. oohh ps.. i was in SF in september. I wonder if you know any of the jazz cats I hung and played with. I met up with Pete Fallico, he just released a record of mine. Played with Will Blades and hung with a great guitar player call Jack Tone Riordan. You know these guys? I had a great time.. nice vibe out there.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Hey David,I don't get out much, mostly stay in my studio these days. I've heard of Will Blades but haven't heard of any of the other cats. Lots of great players here in SF but I'm not putting myself out there as a player so I don't run in any player circles or even go out to hear live music much at all. (live sound is for some reason usually not great and is distracting to me, I'm a dyed in the wool studio cat at this point).I'm glad you have a great time here. If you come to town again, let me know, your stuff is really good and I'd come to hear you.Cheers!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

slotter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slotter » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Nice one Mazz.Shame to hear about your opinion of Live gigs though... seems to be the way of the world lately.. is live music on it's way out finally? are us alley cats destined to eat fish bones and garbage scraps forever? I hope not, for my rent's sake!Hope to catch up one day.D

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 am

Even though my day gig is a drag most days, I am thankful that I don't have to hustle for music gigs to pay the rent. The energy output doesn't seem to match the financial return. I don't know about you but gigs seem to pay the same as they did 20 years ago. The thing is, most things these days cost a lot more than they did 20 years ago. I don't know how you guys do it, my hat's off to you!!Cheers!!Mazz

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

slotter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slotter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:44 am

Yeh man... I dont know about 20 years ago, but gigs haven't gone up in the past 10 thats for sure... BUT... it's a like an itch I just have to scratch.. I'm not happy unless I'm on stage! I get down if I'm too long away from the lights... I've done day jobs, from building to office work.. but I can't hack it.. we're just different breeds of cats.. but we're both cats! You dig?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:16 am

Yeah I can relate! The first time I was ever in a real recording studio I realized that it was where I belonged. I've been a player all my life but that moment was a revelation to me. It's taken a long time to realize that dream but if I had known then what I know now about the music business and how the money is made, I'd have stopped being a gigger a long time ago and focussed on composing.My day gig is a drag most days but it affords me the time and money to invest in my business and I can be real choosy about which live gigs I take, which suits me just fine right now. One first run placement on my daytime TV show gig pays more than one 4 hr gig used to pay, and they're starting to use some of those tunes over and over. I've never been able to play a gig in my sleep but my tunes are making me money while I sleep. I like that!! It's not enough to quit the day gig yet but there's a pinpoint of light at the end of the tunnel!!I hope I can catch one of your gigs some day!!Mazz

slotter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slotter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Sounds good Mazz... like your style. Hope to catch a studio cat in the alley one of these days. Actually if I'm being honest the reason I joined TAXI is beacause I got a taste of that "make money while you sleep" flavour! Did some vocals for a Volswagon and Honda ad. here in Spain and made stupid money for very little studio time... and it got me thinking.BUT.. I aint never quiting live music.. someone's got to keep it alive... I feel I've been blessed/cursed with the task! hahaJust got back from a low paying solo gig, acoustic and singing... I've got a nasty swollen throat and a seriously f$$ked up chest but I enjoyed every second... I think it's a mental illness and maybe you're lucky enough to have been cured!!Next time I'm out your way I'll hunt you down for a beer.In the meantime, if you dig the jazz, you might like some of the stuff I do with my trio www.myspace.com/fastthreehope that pin pioint of light gets bigger and wider and brighter for us both bro.HugsD