Just joined Dispatch! Any Sagely Advice?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Just joined Dispatch! Any Sagely Advice?

Post by weslong » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi Guys,I got too antsy waiting on those normal submissions. I'm itching to get things going so I added Dispatch to my membership! Any advice, hints, experiences you could share with a newbie? I would really appreciate any feedback that would shed some light on the quirks and particulars of this service. Such as:1) Turnarounds- How are those handled? 2) Contracts- How are those usually done? How long does it take to sign them if you're music is accepted?3) Payment- What are the standard contract terms? What is the standard payment matrix? WHEN do you usually get your money?4) Overall fussiness- What is the range of acceptability for overall sound quality for sumissions?Etc, etc...Thank in advance!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Just joined Dispatch! Any Sagely Advice?

Post by hummingbird » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:55 pm

1) Turnarounds- How are those handled? - I'm not sure what you mean by turnarounds, but if you mean when do you hear back, it's usually within 3 to 5 days.2) Contracts- How are those usually done? How long does it take to sign them if your music is accepted?- how are they done? If you are forwarded, and the listing party offers you a deal, they usually email you the paperwork, you print it off, sign it, and forward it to them with the copies of the music exactly as they have requested it. They usually have specific instructions for you to follow. It's best to take the time to follow their instructions. You may also wish to consult an entertainment lawyer.3) Payment- What are the standard contract terms? What is the standard payment matrix? WHEN do you usually get your money?-this is absolutely no different than any deal you might get through regular listings. There are no 'standard terms' - it totally depends on the context for use of the music - but the general terms are usually spelled out in the listing. I don't know what you mean by 'standard payment matrix'. When do you get your money? Doesn't matter who it is, they will tell you the terms, when they will report to you, and when they will issue you a cheque for your share of licencing. Most companies have a standard reporting period & you receive your cheque at the end of that period (quarterly, for example). As for royalties, you will receive them after the work is performed in a royalty generating situtation, the cue sheets are filed, and your Pro issues you a cheque... generally speaking 6 to 9 months after the report.4) Overall fussiness- What is the range of acceptability for overall sound quality for sumissions?- same as regular listings. If it says broadcast quality, that's what they want. Read the listing.HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey Hummingbird,Thanks so much for taking the time respond! And in such detail! Much appreciated!

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:05 am

To add to Hummingbird's great post:Dispatch listings are really no different from regular TAXI listings as far as the basic requirements go. The thing that separates out the Dispatch listings is the quick turnaround time (and no critiques). They are designed for clients who have last minute requests they need filled for whatever reason.Dispatch makes sense for someone who already has a large catalog or is able to produce things quickly on demand.As far as the business aspect of the deals, I recommend that you study the business side so that when a contract comes through, you can at least have an intelligent conversation with an attorney and the client that is asking you to sign. There are tons of great books out there that have all this information in them.Good luck,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Don't know about that attorney monkey-business seeings I live in China but I'll be sure to read the fine print and pick up a few books on the subject.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Oh yeah, different world there, isn't it!!Well, if push came to shove and you landed a really big, complex deal, in this day and age, I'm sure you could find an entertainment lawyer online. If you are affiliated with a PRO or other type of professional organization, I'm sure you could get a recommendation. Some folks here might have suggestions too.But get those books anyway, you'll be able to pick up on the basics and go from there.Good luck!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

weslong
Impressive
Impressive

Post by weslong » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Hmm..maybe. Might have to find some shyster Western lawyer here in Shanghai instead. The exchange rate can make those sort of transactions online a bit out of reach. TAXI+Dispatch is horribly expensive in Chinese money. 100 of your dollars is 600 of mine. Don't think I'm going to hire an overseas lawyer.Oh well, I'm sure I can sort it out...

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:41 am

And a good (fortunate) problem to sort out too!My understanding (not based on experience, yet), is getting a mediocre deal on a "good" song is better than not getting a deal.If you had the perfect "gonna make me a boatload of money" tune (for Brooks & Dunn, whatever),then certainly scramble and negotiate for the absolute best deal you can.Chances are though (in my case, for sure) if I had a bunch of decent songs intended for small placements in TV etc, and someone offered me an "acceptable" deal for a routine song, I'd take a bit more risk by accepting their standard offer. In this case, my relationship with my first client would be important enough for me to trust them. I would certainly post some things in this forum if I had time, and get other folks to explain a few bits.Once I gained more experience (through their standard contract if necessary) I would be able to put the whole process into context.I wouldn't spend $400 in legal fees stalling my first client, if my generic tune might only make a few dollars in the long run (unless the contract had clauses about my "first born" or "everything else I write for 7 years" etc hehehe).
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:19 am

Sept 1, 2008, 9:01pm, weslong wrote:Hmm..maybe. Might have to find some shyster Western lawyer here in Shanghai instead. The exchange rate can make those sort of transactions online a bit out of reach. TAXI+Dispatch is horribly expensive in Chinese money. 100 of your dollars is 600 of mine. Don't think I'm going to hire an overseas lawyer.Oh well, I'm sure I can sort it out...it's a good problem to have. I only have turned down one deal - I was willing to place my music in a film for screen credit only, just to get the credit... but they wanted to own the track outright, forever... for zero money. I said no. Every other deal I've seen has been reasonable IMHO.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Sept 1, 2008, 8:03pm, mazz wrote:Oh yeah, different world there, isn't it!!Well, if push came to shove and you landed a really big, complex deal, in this day and age, I'm sure you could find an entertainment lawyer online. If you are affiliated with a PRO or other type of professional organization, I'm sure you could get a recommendation. MazzHey Mazz...don't count on getting a recommendation from a PRO, or at least ASCAP...seems they don't want to be responsible should something go wrong with their "recommendation"...at least that's what I got when I asked ASCAP in NYC....