Question from a newbie

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dommydom
Impressive
Impressive

Question from a newbie

Post by dommydom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 am

Hi there everyone, I just joined up to taxi a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if you guys think it would be worth signing up for dispatch right away? From all the advice for various people and different things that I have read around here though I was thinking I might be better off learning how to target songs to the right listings first and getting a few critiques etc? Obviously I want to get the most out of taxi, but I might not be able to get the most out of dispatch just yet? Thanks!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Question from a newbie

Post by hummingbird » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:40 am

Jul 10, 2008, 2:17pm, dommydom wrote:Hi there everyone, I just joined up to taxi a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if you guys think it would be worth signing up for dispatch right away? From all the advice for various people and different things that I have read around here though I was thinking I might be better off learning how to target songs to the right listings first and getting a few critiques etc? Obviously I want to get the most out of taxi, but I might not be able to get the most out of dispatch just yet? Thanks!hi - welcome. Hard to answer that question without hearing your music. But I'd suggest this: you can call Taxi and ask to be put on the Dispatch email list, and monitor the listings for a few weeks while you find your feet.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

dommydom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dommydom » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:25 pm

thanks for the tip Vikki, will do! some of my stuff is on my myspace... http://www.myspace.com/domcooley

timmcallister
Active
Active

Post by timmcallister » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 pm

Jul 10, 2008, 3:25pm, dommydom wrote:thanks for the tip Vikki, will do! some of my stuff is on my myspace... http://www.myspace.com/domcooleylove your voice dom.are you doing the harmony vocals in 3rd person female? I rarely like backup vocals to have that much character, but the vibrato is wicked cool.

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Hey great stuff!! Love the groove of Nicked Vein....My suggestion is sign up for the Dispatch emails.... check out the types of listings that are offered... in the mean time submit to the regular listings to see how your stuff is received..... If you poke around the forum you'll see a great deal of success and a little head scratching from time to time.... it might be good to get your feet wet a little.... before you dive in.....I'm on the third track and dug everything so far... good luck... Peace, Geo

clanmorgan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by clanmorgan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:05 am

I have been a member off and on and also with Dispatch. I found that there are periods of time when i dont even use Dispatch but joined when I saw a few listings that I could submit to. I have been Forwarded as a result of Dispatch listings so for me it has been worth it. If you have a lot of material covering multiple styles or can compose very quickly then Dispatch is good right off the bat... but for me as I grow my catalog Dispatch only added value after I had more material.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:07 pm

IMHO, it really kind of depends...If you are a professional composer with some experience and/or credits and you have a good grasp on the business, then I think dispatch is good to sign up for when you first join. If you are somebody who is kind of just starting out and you are still getting your bearings, then I would say you should wait until you get your forward ratio up. After you are consistently getting forwards, keep an eye out for a dispatch listing that seems to be right up your alley...then join and submit (dispatch is prorated). Thats what I did and it resulted in a NICE deal Definitely sign up to get the dispatch listings in your email as others have suggested.Good luck,-Steve